Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>So things appear to be going well in Israel
banyon 03:02 PM 05-11-2021
28 Reported Dead In Gaza From Israeli Airstrikes; Gaza Rockets Kill 3 In Israel

May 11, 20212:13 PM ET
Becky Sullivan
BECKY SULLIVAN

An Israeli firefighter walks next to cars hit by a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip, in the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon on Tuesday.
Ariel Schalit/AP

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/11/99587...ll-2-in-israel

Israel warned that airstrikes on Gaza would continue over the coming days as at least 28 Palestinians and three Israelis were reported killed amid rising cross-border violence sparked by clashes in Jerusalem.

A confrontation on Friday between Israeli police and Palestinian demonstrators at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City has escalated rapidly since the weekend, leaving Israelis and Palestinians alike bracing for more violence as the holy month of Ramadan comes to a close this week.

Over the last two days, Palestinian militants fired hundreds of rockets from Gaza toward Jerusalem and coastal Israeli cities, including Tel Aviv. Israel has responded with scores of airstrikes it says are targeting militants in Gaza. Israeli officials say they are preparing to expand their offensive.

Two Israelis were killed Tuesday when rockets struck two houses in the port city of Ashkelon. Another rocket hit an empty school that had been ordered closed due to the risk of strikes. A rocket barrage Tuesday night killed a third Israeli in the Tel Aviv suburb Holon.

Some rockets have been intercepted by the Israeli army's missile defense system, while others fell short and landed within Gaza.

Article continues after sponsor message

Early Tuesday morning, Israeli warplanes and drones conducted at least 130 airstrikes over Gaza. Officials with the Israel Defense Forces said they targeted operatives from Hamas and Islamic Jihad, killing 15, including the chief of Islamic Jihad's special rocket unit.

Health officials in Gaza said 28 people have been killed in the strikes, including at least 10 children. More than 150 Palestinians in Gaza have been injured, they said.

The border between Gaza and Israel has been closed to journalists due to the rocket fire.

Israel's army chief of staff has ordered the military to prepare to widen its operation against Gaza "with no time limit." At a press briefing Tuesday, Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz told reporters Israel plans to "deal a hard blow to Hamas" in the coming days, referring to the militant Palestinian group which governs Gaza.

The recent round of violence erupted after weeks of tension in Jerusalem, where Israeli police had routinely confronted Palestinian protesters, mostly around the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in the Old City. The mosque is located in an area known to Muslims as Haram al-Sharif, or the Noble Sanctuary, and to Jews as the Temple Mount. Anti-Arab Jewish gangs have contributed to the unrest, attacking groups of Palestinians.

Beginning Friday, Israeli police have used stun grenades, rubber-coated bullets and water cannons to disperse the growing crowds of demonstrators. The Palestinian Red Crescent emergency medical service says more than a thousand Palestinians have been injured since Friday, with hundreds hospitalized. Roughly a dozen Israeli police officers have been hurt.

The escalation in violence prompted international calls for calm and criticism from Israel's Arab neighbors.

Jordan's foreign minister Ayman Safadi was in Washington over the weekend, where he met with U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken. Speaking to reporters ahead of their meeting, Blinken urged both sides to de-escalate.

"We're very focused on the situation in Israel, West Bank, Gaza, very deeply concerned about the rocket attacks that we're seeing now, that they need to stop, they need to stop immediately," Blinken said ahead of the meeting with Safadi.

U.S. National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan also met with Safadi during his visit to Washington, and spoke by phone with his Israeli counterpart to urge calm and denounce violence.

NPR's Daniel Estrin in Jerusalem contributed reporting.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 08:54 AM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Regardless of the reasons we do, we should stop propping up Israel. Not because I dislike Jews, but because the cost is tremendous, and we get very little out of it.
That's a fair discussion/point. I think we would agree here (as far as government/taxpayer/military issues are concerned anyways) :-)
[Reply]
Donger 08:55 AM 05-12-2021
Regardless of the reasons we do, we should stop propping up Israel. Not because I dislike Jews, but because the cost is tremendous, and we get very little out of it.
Are you referring to the military aid with provide Israel?
[Reply]
BDj23 09:06 AM 05-12-2021
I was about to say Donger will be along shortly to tell you how valuable of an ally Israel is, but he's already beat me to it.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 09:10 AM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Are you referring to the military aid with provide Israel?
I'm talking about the amount of aid in total. Israel is always at or near the top.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:12 AM 05-12-2021

More amazing Iron Dome footage from Ashkelon earlier today. pic.twitter.com/NqUeUCna6a

— Noam Blum �� (@neontaster) May 12, 2021

[Reply]
Donger 09:15 AM 05-12-2021
I'm talking about the amount of aid in total. Israel is always at or near the top.
Yes, military aid. And they have to spend 75% of it with us, unless something has changed.

And, we do get something in return beyond that.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 09:18 AM 05-12-2021
Yes, military aid. And they have to spend 75% of it with us, unless something has changed.

Also financial aid. Always at or near the top of the list.

What does Israel provide us that we couldn't get on our own?
[Reply]
Donger 09:21 AM 05-12-2021
Also financial aid. Always at or near the top of the list.

What does Israel provide us that we couldn't get on our own?
No, Israel receives very little financial aid from us. They haven't for a while:

I would argue that Israel has certain assets and capabilities in the region that we don't.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 09:24 AM 05-12-2021

You surely see what a bad argument that is for America, right? Yonder gives Donger $100 (that didn't belong to Yonder to start with) and Donger, in turn, buys something from Yonder for $75.

Forget the fact that the $100 wasn't even mine to start with. But how is that good for America? Only getting 75% of this handout back?

You will find no bigger Israel lover on the planet than me, but this is a VERY bad example of Israel's usefulness to America. Heck, I could likely make the same arrangement with a homeless crackhead :-)
[Reply]
Donger 09:27 AM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
You surely see what a bad argument that is for America, right? Yonder gives Donger $100 (that didn't belong to Yonder to start with) and Donger, in turn, buys something from Yonder for $75.

Forget the fact that the $100 wasn't even mine to start with. But how is that good for America? Only getting 75% of this handout back?

You will find no bigger Israel lover on the planet than me, but this is a VERY bad example of Israel's usefulness to America. Heck, I could likely make the same arrangement with a homeless crackhead :-)
It's not really an argument. Just pointing out a fact. We do get something back in the form of our defense workers and companies getting orders.

In exchange, we get help from the Israelis.
[Reply]
BDj23 09:36 AM 05-12-2021

Raytheon and Lockheed Martin shareholders get rich
[Reply]
Over Yonder 09:38 AM 05-12-2021
It's not really an argument. Just pointing out a fact. We do get something back in the form of our defense workers and companies getting orders.

In exchange, we get help from the Israelis.
It seems that I have read from you before that probably our biggest 'benefit' from Israel is intelligence matters. Correct me if I have you confused with someone else. I can agree with that if I am remembering correctly. We might argue just what is that worth financially for America, but that is a different discussion.

I just wanted to politely point out your example of an Israeli handout package was nuts to put it nicely. I also agree that America benefits from an American/Israeli ally situation, but that example is the wart on the butt cheek of said arrangement. Not a point to make the case. It's actually a point to argue against the case IMO.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:39 AM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Raytheon and Lockheed Martin shareholders get rich
It's also money spent so that the U.S. can have less of a direct influence and, therefore, less of a heavy footprint.
[Reply]
Donger 09:40 AM 05-12-2021
It seems that I have read from you before that probably our biggest 'benefit' from Israel is intelligence matters. Correct me if I have you confused with someone else. I can agree with that if I am remembering correctly. We might argue just what is that worth financially for America, but that is a different discussion.

I just wanted to politely point out your example of an Israeli handout package was nuts to put it nicely. I also agree that America benefits from an American/Israeli ally situation, but that example is the wart on the butt cheek of said arrangement. Not a point to make the case. It's actually a point to argue against the case IMO.
Yes, you have read that.

It's not perfect, but again, it's better than just sending them cash spending it all with their defense industry.
[Reply]
BDj23 09:42 AM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
It's also money spent so that the U.S. can have less of a direct influence and, therefore, less of a heavy footprint.
Less heavy footprint in the ME? We've been bombing the shit out of it for 80% of my life
[Reply]
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up