ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
The Gonzo Lounge>Suggested Post-Draft Free Agents & Trade Ideas?
Couch-Potato 07:13 AM 05-02-2021
What say you CP? What are the best available FA acquisitions and trade scenarios for the Chiefs post-draft?


Shwartz or Fisher, to compete with Niang for RT?

Breeland, Earl Thomas or Sherman at DB?

Melvin Ingram as dedicated Pass Rusher?

Larry Fitzgerald or Goldan Tate as WR #2?

Pull off the big trade for Julio!?
[Reply]
tatorhog 07:59 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Smith is a huge, talented, and very experienced offensive guard. He's not going to the practice squad, he's not a typical late round project.

This guy's going to be ready to play, and to compete for a starting position. Does he beat out Long or LDT? Maybe, maybe not. Probably not to start the season as I can't see rolling with two rookies, but he won't be buried on the depth chart.
I'm kind of to the point that I would be surprised if Long makes the team. He's talented, but if he's actually competing for a position I don't know if he can do it at this point in his career as a guard. LDT may be the default starter at RG, but I could see Smith easily taking it too.

I don't think he could beat either of those guys, and honestly Remmers is the guy he probably has to beat to even make the team.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:04 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
I'm kind of to the point that I would be surprised if Long makes the team. He's talented, but if he's actually competing for a position I don't know if he can do it at this point in his career as a guard. LDT may be the default starter at RG, but I could see Smith easily taking it too.

I don't think he could beat either of those guys, and honestly Remmers is the guy he probably has to beat to even make the team.
If Long is actually 100%, he's a pro bowl level player, very smart, and very experienced.

It IS possible that he takes Remmers spot as super-sub. That's possible. If so, that's a big upgrade.

I think it's likely he takes the starting RG spot. I don't see rolling with two rookies day one, but I expect Smith to be there sooner than later.

Honestly, LDT is kind of odd man out; all the rest of the players are now in a different mold.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:13 AM 05-03-2021
I would be very surprised if we did anything at WR or RB other than a ring chaser like Bell last year. We are not signing Julio Jones with that massive contract. There's a slim chance he gets cut after the June deadline to save the Falcons approx. 15 million in space, then maybe on a skinny deal. We are fine at RB as well with this no O-line, but again, someone cheap could always be added. I agree with others on here Breeland and Ingram if they like the price were offering are probably Veach's current priorities.
[Reply]
tatorhog 08:28 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
If Long is actually 100%, he's a pro bowl level player, very smart, and very experienced.

It IS possible that he takes Remmers spot as super-sub. That's possible. If so, that's a big upgrade.

I think it's likely he takes the starting RG spot. I don't see rolling with two rookies day one, but I expect Smith to be there sooner than later.

Honestly, LDT is kind of odd man out; all the rest of the players are now in a different mold.
I agree, if he's 100%. I'm assuming there isn't as much tread on the tires, even after getting some time away from the game. But I would love to be wrong (which, I am quite often, so this bodes well).

I just assume LDT is the starter. Reid seems to love continuity, at least that's been my impression and why I figure its his job to lose at this point. And I think Smith is a beast. Of course, this offseason sure didn't have the same look and feel either, and the type of linemen coming in haven't really been in the mold of what I thought Reid typically wanted. So who knows.

At the end of the day, this appears to be a pretty good problem to have. Which decent player do you have to cut?
[Reply]
oldman 08:29 AM 05-03-2021
I'm OK with going with what we have at RB until we see what we have with Williams coming back. If he doesn't produce, buh-bye. The same goes for both LDT and Long. All I can say is I NEVER want to see Remmers at LT again. I don't see us spending a lot of cash on someone like Jones as a WR. There's a couple already on the expanded roster I'd like to see.
I looked at the latest cap figures and it looks like we have about $9.8M today. The latest number I've seen to sign our draft picks is about $5M, so I'd bring Breeland back at the $3M he made last year. I know Veach can always play with contracts, especially Mathieu's, but let's not go to the brink again until we see what holes we really do have.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:34 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
I'm OK with going with what we have at RB until we see what we have with Williams coming back. If he doesn't produce, buh-bye. The same goes for both LDT and Long. All I can say is I NEVER want to see Remmers at LT again. I don't see us spending a lot of cash on someone like Jones as a WR. There's a couple already on the expanded roster I'd like to see.
I looked at the latest cap figures and it looks like we have about $9.8M today. The latest number I've seen to sign our draft picks is about $5M, so I'd bring Breeland back at the $3M he made last year. I know Veach can always play with contracts, especially Mathieu's, but let's not go to the brink again until we see what holes we really do have.
Thuney would be LT2 I would guess, as they went so far as to say they could play him there before they got OBJ.

So we'd have to be down to LT3 to see a possibility of Remmers there, and even then I'm not sure we would.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:43 AM 05-03-2021
Step 1: Extend Tyrann Mathieu and free up some more 2021 cap room

Step 2: Sign a veteran DE. I don't care if it's Melvin Ingram or Justin Houston or Ryan Kerrigan. Add a vet to the mix to start opposite Clark.


Step 3: Re-sign Bashad Breeland. It's the best fit for him and for the team.

Step 4: Sign a veteran WR. I really like Dede Westbook and think he could give them some juice at WR2, if he's recovered. His knee injury was pretty devastating... but he's a nice fit for this offense if he's back to what he was.

No thanks on Larry Fitzgerald, who is cooked, but Tate would be interesting.
[Reply]
O.city 08:51 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Step 1: Extend Tyrann Mathieu and free up some more 2021 cap room

Step 2: Sign a veteran DE. I don't care if it's Melvin Ingram or Justin Houston or Ryan Kerrigan. Add a vet to the mix to start opposite Clark.


Step 3: Re-sign Bashad Breeland. It's the best fit for him and for the team.

Step 4: Sign a veteran WR. I really like Dede Westbook and think he could give them some juice at WR2, if he's recovered. His knee injury was pretty devastating... but he's a nice fit for this offense if he's back to what he was.

No thanks on Larry Fitzgerald, who is cooked, but Tate would be interesting.
I wouldn't be opposed to Tate, but I think I'd go with someone like Westbrook and roll with what they've got at WR.

I would love Houston at DE opposite Clark. He seems like an ideal DE in this scheme. I would guess that bridge is burned.
[Reply]
oldman 08:55 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Thuney would be LT2 I would guess, as they went so far as to say they could play him there before they got OBJ.

So we'd have to be down to LT3 to see a possibility of Remmers there, and even then I'm not sure we would.
I agree except I hope we don't have to worry about that. However, that scenario pretty much locks Allegretti in as LG2/C2 or 3. Like I said earlier, Allegretti isn't going anywhere soon. Even if Smith turns out great, it's different footwork from RG to LG. An experienced pro can handle that, but a rookie --that's just way too much to ask today.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:33 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
I agree, if he's 100%. I'm assuming there isn't as much tread on the tires, even after getting some time away from the game. But I would love to be wrong (which, I am quite often, so this bodes well).

I just assume LDT is the starter. Reid seems to love continuity, at least that's been my impression and why I figure its his job to lose at this point. And I think Smith is a beast. Of course, this offseason sure didn't have the same look and feel either, and the type of linemen coming in haven't really been in the mold of what I thought Reid typically wanted. So who knows.

At the end of the day, this appears to be a pretty good problem to have. Which decent player do you have to cut?
Who is left to have continuity with? If your overhauling theres not sense in not letting the better player get their feet wet.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 09:46 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I would be very surprised if we did anything at WR or RB other than a ring chaser like Bell last year. We are not signing Julio Jones with that massive contract. There's a slim chance he gets cut after the June deadline to save the Falcons approx. 15 million in space, then maybe on a skinny deal. We are fine at RB as well with this no O-line, but again, someone cheap could always be added. I agree with others on here Breeland and Ingram if they like the price were offering are probably Veach's current priorities.

There is 0% chance Julio gets cut. If the Falcons make him available he will be traded. I think people vastly underestimate his value. Top five WR in the league. Future HOFer. Great in the lockeroom. Great in the community. Leader. Everything you want. There will be a bidding war for him.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 09:48 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Step 1: Extend Tyrann Mathieu and free up some more 2021 cap room

Step 2: Sign a veteran DE. I don't care if it's Melvin Ingram or Justin Houston or Ryan Kerrigan. Add a vet to the mix to start opposite Clark.


Step 3: Re-sign Bashad Breeland. It's the best fit for him and for the team.

Step 4: Sign a veteran WR. I really like Dede Westbook and think he could give them some juice at WR2, if he's recovered. His knee injury was pretty devastating... but he's a nice fit for this offense if he's back to what he was.

No thanks on Larry Fitzgerald, who is cooked, but Tate would be interesting.
I mean... just all of this. Including the avatar.

Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
There is 0% chance Julio gets cut. If the Falcons make him available he will be traded. I think people vastly underestimate his value. Top five WR in the league. Future HOFer. Great in the lockeroom. Great in the community. Leader. Everything you want. There will be a bidding war for him.

I want a healthy wide receiver, so... not everything.
[Reply]
tatorhog 09:57 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Who is left to have continuity with? If your overhauling theres not sense in not letting the better player get their feet wet.
LDT would be the "continuity" since he has been a starter under Reid. I'm not advocating for it, I'm just trying to guess how it will shake out.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 09:58 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I mean... just all of this. Including the avatar.




I want a healthy wide receiver, so... not everything.
Id be okay taking a "gamble" on a guy that has EARNED his stripes. He is a future 1st ballot HOFer for a reason. Entering next year he is a top five WR in this league.

Golden Tate, Dede Westbrook, that crap isn't going to move the needle whatsoever. If that is what some of you are asking for I guess I'd prefer to just stand pat with Hardman, Robinson, Pringle as your second tier options dont need to waste more money for another JAG receiver.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:01 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
There is 0% chance Julio gets cut. If the Falcons make him available he will be traded. I think people vastly underestimate his value. Top five WR in the league. Future HOFer. Great in the lockeroom. Great in the community. Leader. Everything you want. There will be a bidding war for him.
He's also injured a lot, would cost $15M, and would be option #3 at 15M a year. No way I would take him unless the draft compensation was low, ATL ate a huge portion of that salary, or he was willing to renegotiate at a much smaller salary. Don't think all that will happen, so it's a hard pass on him here.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up