ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
The Gonzo Lounge>School's out for Summer!-AMA
displacedinMN 03:32 PM 06-09-2019
I said I would.

But a few classroom rules.
1. The answer to the obligatory question. No
2. There are no stupid questions-just stupid people that ask questions.
3. Teacher has the right to suspend you.
4. Teacher can take regular quarter and holiday breaks.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:37 PM 06-09-2019
Is the elementary school classroom game "heads up; 7 up" truly just a method for teachers to figure out who their natural born cheaters are?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:39 PM 06-09-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Is the elementary school classroom game "heads up; 7 up" truly just a method for teachers to figure out who their natural born cheaters are?
Not that I know of and I had not heard of that. Stupid game that teaches nothing. No skill. No educational value. good time waster for bad teachers.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:43 PM 06-09-2019
As a baby boomer, I hear lots of things about how education is worse today than the olden days when I was walking around in my Mork and Mindy t-shirt and mood ring. So I don't need any more theories on that.

In what ways is education better today than it was thirty years ago?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:45 PM 06-09-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
As a baby boomer, I hear lots of things about how education is worse today than the olden days when I was walking around in my Mork and Mindy t-shirt and mood ring. So I don't need any more theories on that.

In what ways is education better today than it was thirty years ago?
We can incorporate technology and "take kids" to places they may not go. Videos, not a picture in a book. Multiple sources.

We try to get kids to think and process more with open ended projects instead of memorization. I try not to teach crap they can just look up on the internet.

Those are all good things.


I despise multiple choice tests. They prove nothing. But yet all state tests are MC. Even math.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:56 PM 06-09-2019
Do kids these days that are that age use "LOL" and "IDK" in papers they have to write?
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:58 PM 06-09-2019
To what extent do you make snap judgments about kids on the first day of class? How often are you right and wrong?

And tell us about the kid who most surprised you relative to your initial expectations?

And what grade(s) do you teach?
[Reply]
TribalElder 03:59 PM 06-09-2019
was there enough booze left in the bottle you keep in your desk to get shitfaced to celebrate summer, or did you have to re-up
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:00 PM 06-09-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Do kids these days that are that age use "LOL" and "IDK" in papers they have to write?
Yes and it us fucking stupid. Most teachers demand that they do not use text language in anything they hand in.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:04 PM 06-09-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
To what extent do you make snap judgments about kids on the first day of class? How often are you right and wrong?

And tell us about the kid who most surprised you relative to your initial expectations?

And what grade(s) do you teach?
a. I try to give them the benefit of doubt. But I also stomp on them the first day and don't let up for the first month of school. Most of the time I am right. It is just experience.

b. I have a few. One this year-thought she would be tough, she was awesome and worked hard. Mostly it is the ones that you think will be good and have a difficult time putting words and thoughts to paper.

6. I teach 8th grade Earth Science. I have taught all sciences, in all Middle School grades. I started teaching in KCK. I may have some students on this board. For that, I apologize. I am a much better teacher now. Been in Middle School for 26 years. Next year is 27.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:06 PM 06-09-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
was there enough booze left in the bottle you keep in your desk to get shitfaced to celebrate summer, or did you have to re-up
I wish I would have one. They did in the old days.
I had my 50th in Feb and received a lot of whiskey. Working my way through it.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 04:10 PM 06-09-2019
What's the best lunch in the cafeteria?
[Reply]
Bowser 04:11 PM 06-09-2019
Do they still allow four square or kickball, or is that shit to masculine and deemed unworthy to let our kids participate in any more?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:14 PM 06-09-2019
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
What's the best lunch in the cafeteria?
We have a few:

Meatball sandwich
Sweet and sour chicken
Kicken chicken bowl or meatball bowl. With corn on top
Hamburgers
BBQ drumsticks
The salads are good.

The day they have Sloppy Joes or Maple pancakes without syrup is disgusting. The combined smell is terrible.
Fish bites. What the hell?
Cooked cauliflower with buffalo powder. Laughed at the head of food service when she tried to pass that shit on me.
[Reply]
Graystoke 04:14 PM 06-09-2019
How much does school lunch cost these days?
And do you eat it? My favorite day was Chili an PB sammies
[Reply]
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Up