ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 53
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
allen_kcCard 09:27 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
This was the irrigation primer that got us started. The rest was just us talking it out.

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/vi...tension_curall

Not sure what else the wife did. She did all the irrigation.
So is it an always-on drip irrigation? Or a manual turn on/off? Wasn't sure if it is something where it drips slow enough to just remain on all the time.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:13 PM 04-08-2017
Finished up the bee garden.

[Reply]
Buehler445 04:25 PM 04-08-2017
Good work FMB
[Reply]
KS Smitty 04:41 PM 04-08-2017
Awesome job FMB! Have you picked your plants?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:45 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
Awesome job FMB! Have you picked your plants?

Yep, planted seed today. Wife did a bunch of research for bee-friendly plants that were also pet safe. Got echinacea, columbine, phlox, and a couple others I can't remember. Also planted blueberries in those corners, which bees apparently love.
[Reply]
Iowanian 06:29 PM 04-08-2017
I got my tiller put together today and it was a sonnabitch to hook up. Once I did the pto shaft was too long, so I had to use the cat 2 quick coupler I had and it worked fine. It was too wet but couldn't stand it and tilled my garden. My tractor might have not go slow enough in hard ground or I'll have to ride the clutch, which is a bad idea.

We'll see. I'll start turning dirt as soon as it dries up. I hope to do 25 gardens or so this spring at least.

Painting hive boxes tomorrow and going to try to get my bee yard ready. A lot of my fruit trees are blooming already so that will be mostly over when ,y bees get here in a couple of weeks.

I got the ends cut off of a propane tank....I'm going to weld them together and make a globe fire pit that should be around 4-5' diameter. I'll post that process and final result.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:35 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I got my tiller put together today and it was a sonnabitch to hook up. Once I did the pto shaft was too long, so I had to use the cat 2 quick coupler I had and it worked fine. It was too wet but couldn't stand it and tilled my garden. My tractor might have not go slow enough in hard ground or I'll have to ride the clutch, which is a bad idea.

We'll see. I'll start turning dirt as soon as it dries up. I hope to do 25 gardens or so this spring at least.

Painting hive boxes tomorrow and going to try to get my bee yard ready. A lot of my fruit trees are blooming already so that will be mostly over when ,y bees get here in a couple of weeks.

I got the ends cut off of a propane tank....I'm going to weld them together and make a globe fire pit that should be around 4-5' diameter. I'll post that process and final result.
How deep are you going in hard ground? Can you go shallow once over then deeper after it's broke up? If not you may have to see if you can get like a 2 shank ripper or something. How slow will it go?
[Reply]
Iowanian 06:42 PM 04-08-2017
I don't know...my assumption is most people will want gardens turned 4". I don't plan on doing a whole lot of adjustment at each stop. If I need multiple passes I'll do it. I cover quite a bit of garden pretty fast with 6' based on today's attempt in a wt one.

If the wind blows tonight and we miss the rain I'm going to do 2-3 tomorrow and I'll have a better idea of how it's going to work. I need to tune up the governor so I can get the RPMs up a little bit I wish it went half as fast as it does. In real hard soil I'll either turn it with my plow first or stop and go to get thrown it. I'll figure it out.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:00 PM 04-08-2017
I don't know...my assumption is most people will want gardens turned 4". I don't plan on doing a whole lot of adjustment at each stop. If I need multiple passes I'll do it. I cover quite a bit of garden pretty fast with 6' based on today's attempt in a wt one.

If the wind blows tonight and we miss the rain I'm going to do 2-3 tomorrow and I'll have a better idea of how it's going to work. I need to tune up the governor so I can get the RPMs up a little bit I wish it went half as fast as it does. In real hard soil I'll either turn it with my plow first or stop and go to get thrown it. I'll figure it out.
Wait, what? Isn't the depth controlled by your 3 point height?
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:23 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Wait, what? Isn't the depth controlled by your 3 point height?
Somewhat yes, but there are skids on the side that limit the depth of tillage from what I can see. It's2-3 bolts to move those on each side unless I'm missing something.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:31 PM 04-08-2017
Somewhat yes, but there are skids on the side that limit the depth of tillage from what I can see. It's2-3 bolts to move those on each side unless I'm missing something.
OK. I see.

If you're going to do it twice just pick up your 3 point some and then let it dig deep.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:40 PM 04-14-2017
Dog kept meandering through the bee garden. So we built a fence.

[Reply]
lewdog 07:34 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Dog kept meandering through the bee garden. So we built a fence.

I hope nothing you plan to eat will be in the middle box. It's going to be hard to reach and tend to.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:53 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I hope nothing you plan to eat will be in the middle box. It's going to be hard to reach and tend to.

It's a bee garden, so flowers only.
[Reply]
cabletech94 05:58 PM 04-14-2017
kill the dog. take down the fence. someone may have mentioned anti-freeze once or twice.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 53
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up