Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Simms breaks down Mahomes' bad play
ModSocks 11:08 AM 10-28-2021
Cliff Notes:

Mahomes is sensing phantom pressure
Mahomes is not stepping into the pocket
The Oline is acutally playing well, Mahomes is prematurely rolling out
Mahomes is hanging Orlando Brown out to try and creating angles impossible for him to block
Mahomes is predetermining his reads. Possibly overthinking things too much

My takeway: If last week's performance was all about Mahomes then the Chiefs are about to go on a winning streak, because Mahomes will get his mind right. Ya'll ready for some W's?

Video starts around 6:20ish mark

[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:48 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Yes, Mahomes is a one-read QB now. :-)

Jesus this place is fuckin stupid this week.
I haven’t seen a “Is Mahomes a System QB?” thread yet
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:48 PM 10-28-2021
Yes, Mahomes is a one-read QB now. :-)

Jesus this place is fuckin stupid this week.
I'm thinking it's more a case of predetermining where he wants to go with the ball. He's clearly scanning the field when he's on the run so I'd never claim he's a one-read QB.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:50 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I want to see more shit like this quick-release throw to Tyreek vs. the Chargers in 2018:

https://youtu.be/pJJvCojYnK4?t=923
No one is playing that coverage against us anymore.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:53 PM 10-28-2021
No one is playing that coverage against us anymore.
There are no opportunities for a quick-release throw to a receiver over the short middle?
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 02:57 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
There are no opportunities for a quick-release throw to a receiver over the short middle?
There is, but it's shell coverage.

You see, in man to man, Tyreek catches the ball in stride and keeps running and its one cut and gone. No team dares to do this anymore.

Against shell coverage, it's the quick throw, 3 men converge, Tyreek runs backwards, infuriatingly almost every time, and is tackled for shorter gain than if he'd just catch and move forward and go down.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:57 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I'm thinking it's more a case of predetermining where he wants to go with the ball. He's clearly scanning the field when he's on the run so I'd never claim he's a one-read QB.
This.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 03:01 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Yeah. He's an expert on foot work.
Got em
[Reply]
JPH83 03:38 PM 10-28-2021
Nothing in that video is wrong, it's just partial. I think Mahomes is having some problems with his reads and his pocket presence. But there is absolutely no way Brown has been as an effective pass protector as Fisher was. We've all seen enough snaps where he's just plain lost, and Mahomes' drop depth is not the problem.

I don't think Brown has been as bad as some have suggested and there's probably points where he's looked bad but it's been for the reason Simms has noted. But not all the "phantom pressure" seems that phantom to me.
[Reply]
Hydrae 03:55 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
Simms also mentioned inside-info on mahomes' toe not being right yet
I was surprised by that. Was the offseason surgery not successful or something? That is one of the last things I would have thought to blame his issues this year on.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:07 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
I was surprised by that. Was the offseason surgery not successful or something? That is one of the last things I would have thought to blame his issues this year on.
Turf toe is a tendon injury. Like any tendon injury, it takes time to heal. Even after surgery. Tendons are slow healers. So it wouldn't be surprising that his surgery was successful, but still not healed to 100%.

Like an ACL. Surgery can be successful, but it's typical for players to still need a year before they can stop dealing with swelling of the tendon etc.

So while im sure the surgery went fine, there may be some lingering effects and it won't be FULLY healed till next season.
[Reply]
xztop123 04:32 PM 10-28-2021
I hope the problem is mahomes and not the oline. Gonna be a nightmare to get two bookend tackles
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:45 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Nothing in that video is wrong, it's just partial. I think Mahomes is having some problems with his reads and his pocket presence. But there is absolutely no way Brown has been as an effective pass protector as Fisher was. We've all seen enough snaps where he's just plain lost, and Mahomes' drop depth is not the problem.

I don't think Brown has been as bad as some have suggested and there's probably points where he's looked bad but it's been for the reason Simms has noted. But not all the "phantom pressure" seems that phantom to me.
Couldn't agree more with every single word

Its not a hot take placing undue blame on any one side, just the plain truth... and the truth is reality usually lies somewhere in the middle

These players don't exist in a vacuum, everything is sooo symbiotic... thats why its the ultimate team game
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:48 PM 10-28-2021
Simms isn't saying anything that logical people haven't already said.

Right now it's just a snowball effect.

The line is bigger at the edge and can't roll back forever as Pat drifts around behind the line. Pat isn't stepping up because he wants to buy time to go deeper. Going deeper isn't happening because they don't have what it takes currently to bust the extra coverage. Pat gets frustrated and starts chucking shit as short routes aren't appealing when the Defense is an automatic 7.

Pat needs to drive the ball from inside the pocket but the coaches need to figure out how to get some receivers open to allow him to.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:02 PM 10-28-2021
sensing phantom pressure

rolling out too soon

Seems I've heard that before?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:08 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by stevieray:
sensing phantom pressure

rolling out too soon

Seems I've heard that before?
he learned from the best :-)