Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Simms breaks down Mahomes' bad play
ModSocks 11:08 AM 10-28-2021
Cliff Notes:

Mahomes is sensing phantom pressure
Mahomes is not stepping into the pocket
The Oline is acutally playing well, Mahomes is prematurely rolling out
Mahomes is hanging Orlando Brown out to try and creating angles impossible for him to block
Mahomes is predetermining his reads. Possibly overthinking things too much

My takeway: If last week's performance was all about Mahomes then the Chiefs are about to go on a winning streak, because Mahomes will get his mind right. Ya'll ready for some W's?

Video starts around 6:20ish mark

[Reply]
JakeF 01:48 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
There isn't an OT in the league that's going to block a DE running full speed in a straight line, dude.

Watch the video. Simms explains how Mahomes drop back means that DE's don't even have to bend around the corner.

We all know how important "bend" is to a DE as we've seen masters such as Thomas and Hali do it for years.

Mahomes isn't even making the DE's bend.

Again, watch the video. All he has to do is step up and Brown washes that dude out of the play.
I know that. I've already posted a couple of threads about this very thing.

Fisher and Schwartz had to handle it, they were just athletic enough to do it. Brown and Niang are big maulers who aren't made for that type of offense.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 01:51 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
This is worse than your take on Bolton, that was pretty bad
I refuse putting significant blame on Mahomes considering who he is and what he has accomplished. IOL is excellent while the OTs like Remmers playing poorly due to injury/age then there's Brown who doesn't fit the pass blocking style that Mahomes is accustomed to out of his Tackles.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:05 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
I refuse putting significant blame on Mahomes considering who he is and what he has accomplished. IOL is excellent while the OTs like Remmers playing poorly due to injury/age then there's Brown who doesn't fit the pass blocking style that Mahomes is accustomed to out of his Tackles.
Also, if management is incapable of putting an OL together conducive with Mahomes' skills, that seems more like a team building issue more than a Mahomes issue. We shouldn't be asking the best QB in the NFL to change his game from what has worked successfully to accommodate others; it should be the opposite.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 02:06 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
The offensive line is not playing well. Read a stat that they've allowed the most pressures in the NFL this year.
Mahomes is making the line look worse. Watch the video.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:09 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
He did it vs Washington. Dude was immaculate.

I think what happens is that he knows the defense is bad, he then feels the pressure to score, goes all superman mode and abandons the basics and offensive structure trying to force big plays.

That's my theory at least.
I think there's truth to that.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:09 PM 10-28-2021
Mahomes has had issues drifting too far back in the pocket for a while now. It’s just that now every team is just sending their rushers 10 yards deep in the backfield where they know he is mostly likely to end up. No “style” can prevent that.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:09 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by xztop123:
Red ryan said brown is too slow to block to mahomes. I think I’ll trust Rex ryan.
Don't ever do that.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:14 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Mahomes has had issues drifting too far back in the pocket for a while now. It’s just that now every team is just sending their rushers 10 yards deep in the backfield where they know he is mostly likely to end up. No “style” can prevent that.
Well, getting the ball out quicker might help.

We really should adjust to some shorter routes, some slants, etc.

There's a lot of trying for the home run ball, which means Patrick's drifting back, which means pass rushers are taking the wide end-around and ending up where Patrick tends to go.

I get it.

At any rate, whether the problem is mostly Patrick or mostly Brown/Remmers or what percentage of both it is, we need to get the ball out quicker. And we need to run the ball more to keep defenses honest and make them pay for that shit.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 02:17 PM 10-28-2021
Mahomes is not playing well or at least he certainly didn't against the Bills and Titans.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:18 PM 10-28-2021
That's my main frustration. Patrick needs to get better about using his pocket. But a) Andy needs to stop sending every single receiver deep. We need more short options than just RB check downs. B) start using receivers who can actually run these routes. Hardman and Robinson bring things to the table, this is not one of them. Tyreek can do some of this but we don't want that. Either get Gordon in there or if you lack confidence how hard can it be to find a biggish receiver who can consistently win short stuff when the defense is daring you to take it.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:29 PM 10-28-2021
I think he's grown too fond of having those wide open throwing lanes from outside the pocket as well.

He's essentially got zero pocket presence right now. He's hardly stepping up and he's never sliding around within the pocket.

He hits his drop and if the first guy he sees isn't open, he bails immediately. That can work, as it has for his entire career, but in order for it to be an effective strategy you've got to be great in the pocket first.
[Reply]
WarChiefs89 02:35 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I completely agree. I love PMII and will forever back him, but that doesn't mean he is perfect. He has been drifting too deep for awhile now. Defenses aren't stupid. If I were a DC I would tell my DE "rush deep every play... if you get washed out on plays where he steps up then that's on me, but on the plays Mahomes drifts we get immediate pressure and probably win the play". I think some teams have employed this against us already. You basically saw Tennessee doing it in the video.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:36 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
He hits his drop and if the first guy he sees isn't open, he bails immediately.
Yes, Mahomes is a one-read QB now. :-)

Jesus this place is fuckin stupid this week.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:40 PM 10-28-2021
I want to see more shit like this quick-release throw to Tyreek vs. the Chargers in 2018:

https://youtu.be/pJJvCojYnK4?t=923
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:40 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
Mahomes is making the line look worse. Watch the video.
Mahomes is more or less doing what he's always done (which, I should add, has led to phenomenal success for the entirety of his career). The new line clearly hasn't adjusted to it and may very well be incapable of it.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up