ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 18
« First < 51112131415 161718 >
Media Center>Which Great Movie Do You Actually Hate?
Frazod 04:55 PM 02-21-2019
This video popped up on my YouTube feed. Seemed like a good basis for a thread.

The five films discussed in the video, panned by various Brits to the general disdain of other Brits off camera, are The Shining, Forrest Gump, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Gone With the Wind and The Blair Witch Project.

I think the first three guys are mostly nuts, wholeheartedly agree regarding GWTW, and argue that Blair Witch was never great in the first place.

So what great movie(s) do you hate? I'll chime my picks in later.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:52 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
I thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a horrible movie. Some think anything QT makes is gospel. A lot of his movies with exception to a few are pretty bad.

The Bruce Lee scene was hilarious though.
Overall I liked it. I thought it was strange, and even though QT sought and received the approval of Sharon Tate's sister, I found the choice of subject matter to be in poor taste.

Gotta say, though, that I loved the ending. Too bad shit didn't shake out like that in real life. That crime was unimaginably horrible.
[Reply]
Otter 04:53 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
You must have completely loathed Ted.
Nah, liked Ted. Who doesn't love a bong hitting teddy bear.

I've done AI research in my life and lets just say everything was wrong along with a million plot holes.

There's a couple YouTube videos that go into depth. I can't bring myself to watch them or even look them up but they're out there. Horrible movie IMHO. One of the worst.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 04:59 PM 01-20-2022
Thought of another while participating in the Jim Carey thread -

The Jerk. It bores me. It's just not that funny.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 05:00 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:
Nah, liked Ted. Who doesn't love a bong hitting teddy bear.

I've done AI research in my life and lets just say everything was wrong along with a million plot holes.

There's a couple YouTube videos that go into depth. I can't bring myself to watch them or even look them up but they're out there. Horrible movie IMHO. One of the worst.
I was mostly just being a smart ass. :-)
[Reply]
sedated 05:05 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Fight Club: Guessed the twist from the moment Tyler Durden showed up since he doesn't interact with anybody but Ed Norton.
Wait...how did you know the moment Durden shows up that he doesn't interact with anyone else the entire rest of the movie?
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:16 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
2001 certainly had some great moments. And special effects that still mostly hold up to this day. But for me those great moments were few and far between.

I view 2001 pretty much like I view the Beatles. I appreciate the impact it had on later stuff that I do like, but have no use for it.
We clearly differ on this, but its cool that you recognize how great those special effects really are, to hold up that well from 1968 is truly remarkable
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:26 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
For its time (and really today), 2001 is a work of art. Some of the scenes I cannot believe were shot in 1968. But it's all so gratuitous. You talk about the about the monkey scene, the chorus, and I'm with you, but it's just too long, and too much.
Fair enough, I suppose... stopped arguing art and music years ago, its all in the individuals eyes and ears
[Reply]
eDave 05:27 PM 01-20-2022
All the Marvel movies, except for Batman.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:36 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by eDave:
All the Marvel movies, except for Batman.
Batman is DC, not Marvel.

I'm not a big superhero movie guy, and was never really into comic books as a kid, so these types of movies aren't something I'm naturally drawn to. IIRC the only Marvel movies I saw in the theater were the original Iron Man, Captain America and both Guardians of the Galaxy. At some point, though, the hype surrounding the entire franchise started to annoy the crap out of.

However, a couple of years ago, when I first got Disney to watch The Mandalorian, I binged most of the Marvel movies over the course of the week between Christmas and New Year's. For the most part I enjoyed them, even though I generally find them to be overwrought and silly. My favorites are the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies, because (much like Deadpool) they don't take themselves seriously.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 05:54 PM 01-20-2022
What a great category... I've found myself wholeheartedly agreeing with many of you here, while also shaking my head in disbelief, but it really does come down to personal taste with this type of topic...

Off the top of my head, and films I haven't seen listed here yet...

Breakfast Club, Do the Right Thing, Young Frankenstein, Black Swan, Raging Bull, Juno, Passion of the Christ, Jurassic Park, Shakespeare in Love, Reds, pretty much everything Woody Allen, pretty much everything Jim Jarmusch, pretty much everything Monty Python.

Speaking of movies you've either hated or thought were wildly overrated... has there ever been a movie you walked out of? I can only think of one for myself...

Went to see Gus Van Sant's "Last Days" with my girlfriend... about 35 minutes in, I leaned over to her and whispered... "you wanna get out of here and maybe grab a drink then go back to your place and fuck?" Without saying a word, she grabbed my hand and literally pulled my ass outta there...
[Reply]
Cheater5 06:04 PM 01-20-2022
Blues Brothers. Back in the day, secretly watching it as a kid on cable I thought it was awesome. Watching it as an adult? Horrible.
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:06 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
What a great category... I've found myself wholeheartedly agreeing with many of you here, while also shaking my head in disbelief, but it really does come down to personal taste with this type of topic...

Off the top of my head, and films I haven't seen listed here yet...

Breakfast Club, Do the Right Thing, Young Frankenstein, Black Swan, Raging Bull, Juno, Passion of the Christ, Jurassic Park, Shakespeare in Love, Reds, pretty much everything Woody Allen, pretty much everything Jim Jarmusch, pretty much everything Monty Python.

Speaking of movies you've either hated or thought were wildly overrated... has there ever been a movie you walked out of? I can only think of one for myself...

Went to see Gus Van Sant's "Last Days" with my girlfriend... about 35 minutes in, I leaned over to her and whispered... "you wanna get out of here and maybe grab a drink then go back to your place and fuck?" Without saying a word, she grabbed my hand and literally pulled my ass outta there...
I actually didn't walk out of this movie but wish i had Envy. With Ben Stiller and Jack Black I was like this is going be hilarious. How could it not be funny? About half way through the movie I hadn't even chuckled or lifted a grin. Then I had to piss. I just wanted something funny from the movie so I held it till then end and never once laughed. I should have walked out on it. Maybe it would have been a funny 5 minute SNL skit but not a movie.

Jack Black invents a spray that makes dog poop go away

[Reply]
Easy 6 06:11 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
... has there ever been a movie you walked out of? I can only think of one for myself...
Royal Tenenbaums, thats the last movie I walked out on

The ex and I planned a whole huge date night out based on the trailers, best duds in the closet, reservations at Saputos... the worx, stupidly expecting some kind of uproarious acting and next level smarty pants ha ha dialogue led by Hackman

45 minutes in was all we could do, a crushing bore... "lets just go home and do it"
[Reply]
EPodolak 06:15 PM 01-20-2022
2001 is spectacular IMO, I love everything Kubrick anyway.

Haven't hated a movie in a very long time, but a couple in the way overrated category - Rosemary's Baby, another is La La Land and I have nothing against musicals. Leibowski I agree didn't land for me. Maybe O Brother Where Art Thou...although I was over-medicated at the theater then.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 06:16 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
I actually didn't walk out of this movie but wish i had Envy. With Ben Stiller and Jack Black I was like this is going be hilarious. How could it not be funny? About half way through the movie I hadn't even chuckled or lifted a grin. Then I had to piss. I just wanted something funny from the movie so I held it till then end and never once laughed. I should have walked out on it. Maybe it would have been a funny 5 minute SNL skit but not a movie.

Jack Black invents a spray that makes dog poop go away

Holy cow... yeah... I remember "Envy". That movie did suck.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 18
« First < 51112131415 161718 >
Up