ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Dog Food Thread
Mephistopheles Janx 11:23 PM 11-12-2021
Do you cook for your dog? Do you source freezer burned meat and feed them that? Do you look at the ingredient list on the bag... or is Ol'Roy at Walmart at $15 for 40lb of chow good enough food for your dog?

I'm curious how much people spend on food for their furry friends here and if there is anything in particular that they look for in the food they feed them.

---

I buy Diamond Naturals All Stages food for my dogs because I have 14 year old dogs and I have 6 month old dogs... it's nice to just feed them all out of one bag. That said, I chose Diamond Naturals because the first two ingredients are both meat. Did reviews and found that the Naturals line of Diamond brand food is rated highly. The kicker, though, is that it is $38 for a 40lb bag. That is by far the cheapest I can find dog food that has meat as it's first two ingredients.

https://www.chewy.com/diamond-natura...xoCSVIQAvD_BwE

[Reply]
jd1020 08:56 AM 11-13-2021
I dont have dogs but I feed my cats a brand I found on some review sites that I've never seen mentioned anywhere else called "Go!". It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but the first 5 or 6 ingredients are all protein, same goes for their dog food.
[Reply]
Bwana 09:00 AM 11-13-2021
One other thing you really have to look out for is "Ingredient Splitting." There is some shady stuff going on on the dog food world and it pays to do some research.

Here's on article on it, from the place I posted about earlier in the thread.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-f...ent-splitting/
[Reply]
booger 09:05 AM 11-13-2021
Elk antler is super handy if your dog is a heavy chewer
Mine goes through an XL in a couple months

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16383111849...evt=1&mkcid=28
[Reply]
booger 09:11 AM 11-13-2021
Originally Posted by Bwana:
One other thing you really have to look out for is "Ingredient Splitting." There is son shady stuff going on on the dog food world and it pays to do some research.

I remember getting my first Doberman in ‘07 and reading through all the research for the right pup food to start him on... what a pain in the ass and so much bs out there. It is nice to find a vet that doesn’t push whatever brand they sell but gives you a handful of brands to choose from. I got lucky finding a vet like that this time around. Years ago it was trial and error and just a major pain in the ass.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:16 AM 11-13-2021
One other thing you really have to look out for is "Ingredient Splitting." There is some shady stuff going on on the dog food world and it pays to do some research.

Dog food industry was created to make profits off of contaminated food. Boil it down and spray it with animal fat so Bowser will eat it. I just give my dogs fresh meat veggies and some rice. It's not much more money and not that hard. You can pay a little more now or pay a lot more later.
[Reply]
Bwana 09:17 AM 11-13-2021
Originally Posted by booger:
I remember getting my first Doberman in ‘07 and reading through all the research for the right pup food to start him on... what a pain in the ass and so much bs out there. It is nice to find a vet that doesn’t push whatever brand they sell but gives you a handful of brands to choose from. I got lucky finding a vet like that this time around. Years ago it was trial and error and just a major pain in the ass.
Yeah a good vet is worth their weigh in gold. A lot of them try to push products when you are walking out the door and it has a "I'm calling you about an extended warranty on your vehicle," telemarketer feel to it.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:20 AM 11-13-2021
Yeah a good vet is worth their weigh in gold. A lot of them try to push products when you are walking out the door and it has a "I'm calling you about an extended warranty on your vehicle," telemarketer feel to it.
I have found country/farm vets are the best. Still gotta find one here.
[Reply]
booger 09:39 AM 11-13-2021
Yeah this one I was asking about a hip/joint supplement for a large breed pup in the first year. A once a day tablet vitamin type regimen. He looked at the food ingredients on the food I fed him and I brought in a bottle of the salmon oil and he said I can sell you a supplement but what you have there is going to work just fine. You don’t need to add anything else.

In the nw Iowa part of the state where I’m at lots of vets do cattle horses and all livestock so word travels fast if they are liars or dickhead salesman type
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:59 AM 11-13-2021
Just as an FYI, I know that grain-free foods have become increasingly popular over the last ten years (Blue Buffalo, etc.) but there appears to be a link between those foods and an increased risk of dilated cardiomyopathy, especially in certain breeds.
[Reply]
notorious 11:10 AM 11-13-2021
We have a very athletic Vizsla mix and a fat lab mix.

They are both free range over thousands of acres. Basically dog heaven.

Purina high protein and energy, with all of our leftovers. Add in hunted rabbits and birds. The Vizsla is such a stud she can catch anything and make it look easy.

Drove the 4 wheeler next to her when she's running and she keeps up to 33-34mph and her head looks stationary when she's hauling ass. Not a single wasted motion.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:18 AM 11-13-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
You got me excited... but I don't see it at that price. I see it at $45.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...kland+dog+food

My boy Louie farts up a storm no matter what he eats. The dude is constantly ripping. He will wake himself up after farting. It is highly amusing.
Well shit. I honestly haven't paid much attention I suppose. I know it was hovering around that $30 mark when I started feeding it to them all about 3 years ago.
[Reply]
Monticore 11-13-2021, 11:27 AM
This message has been deleted by Monticore. Reason: .
Lzen 11:45 AM 11-13-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice for my 120lb lab. He loves the grain-free stuff but there are supposedly studies showing grain-free isn't good for their hearts. Opinions on that differ depending on who you ask but I figured better safe than sorry.
Lol, never seen those studies but I would bet they are paid for by dog food manufacturers that use corn as the first ingredient.

For anyone that doesn't know, the first ingredient listed is the the largest amount. So, if you dog food lists corn as the first ingredient (or one of the first few) it's garbage.
[Reply]
Lzen 11:46 AM 11-13-2021
I give my boxers Blue Buffalo. It's somewhat expensive but it keeps them in good health.
[Reply]
Lzen 11:51 AM 11-13-2021
Originally Posted by booger:
We have a Hills plant here so every vet in town has a huge Science Diet display. 😔
[Reply]
jd1020 11:54 AM 11-13-2021
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Just as an FYI, I know that grain-free foods have become increasingly popular over the last ten years (Blue Buffalo, etc.) but there appears to be a link between those foods and an increased risk of dilated cardiomyopathy, especially in certain breeds.
https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinar...cardiomyopathy

Seems like they are focusing on how much peas and potatoes are replacing the grain.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up