ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Media Center>Gaming Laptop on a Budget
Dartgod 09:00 PM 11-12-2021
I'm looking to pick up a new gaming laptop but can't spend a ton of cash. I'm looking to keep it under $1500.

I'm not particularly interested in playing the latest and greatest games. I tend to play older games that I can get for a bargain on Steam. For instance, I am currently playing through Borderlands 2. So it doesn't have to be state of the art.

Give me your recommendations.
[Reply]
jd1020 02:41 PM 11-16-2021
God damn that was fast.

How do you like it?
[Reply]
Dartgod 03:05 PM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
God damn that was fast.

How do you like it?
Yeah, I paid $25 for 2 day shipping. Still setting stuff up. Just installed Steam and installing games.

This thing is freaking heavy compared to my old Dell...lol
[Reply]
jd1020 03:07 PM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Ya the weight of it was a pretty common remark. But it seemed to do much better in keeping the computer cool under load compared to most other gaming laptops. I'd gladly give up a couple lbs of weight to keep temps down better.
[Reply]
Fish 04:03 PM 11-16-2021
Yeah, I paid $25 for 2 day shipping. Still setting stuff up. Just installed Steam and installing games.

Gaming laptops have to give up a little in the portability aspect...

Be sure to download the latest video card drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:13 PM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Gaming laptops have to give up a little in the portability aspect...

Be sure to download the latest video card drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
Yeah, not really an issue for me. It rarely travels anywhere. Just surprised at the weight.

Good tip on the driver, thanks!
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:15 PM 11-16-2021
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
you wanna try borderlands 2 multiplayer pm me
Sure, I'll probably finish playing through it first.
[Reply]
Fish 11:34 PM 11-16-2021
Another tip when setting up a new computer. Might be too late to help you at this point, but somebody might find it useful.

Navigate to https://ninite.com/. It contains a huge list of common apps necessary for new Windows computers. Just put checkmarks in all the apps you want, and when you're done click "Get your Ninite", and you'll have a single Windows installer file that includes every app you list. It's clean, and links directly to the manufacturer installers for download. Meaning the installer has a very small file size, and downloads the actual install files from the manufacturer site at the time of run instead of including the files in the installer. That way it will install the newest version whenever you run it. Handy for quickly installing the typical basics for a new machine.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:27 AM 11-17-2021
I've been gaming on laptops for a while now. Love the flexibility to decouple it from my setup to game in my bed or take it to a lan party. Yes, some of us still do that.
[Reply]
Pants 10:30 AM 11-17-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I've been gaming on laptops for a while now. Love the flexibility to decouple it from my setup to game in my bed or take it to a lan party. Yes, some of us still do that.
Awesome.
[Reply]
notorious 07:31 AM 11-18-2021
Hopefully Lenovo changed their power plug in on the computer side.

I had a sweet gaming rig 3ish years ago and that was a horrible weak spot. Had to retire it way before it’s time due to shit engineering.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:57 AM 11-18-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Hopefully Lenovo changed their power plug in on the computer side.

I had a sweet gaming rig 3ish years ago and that was a horrible weak spot. Had to retire it way before it’s time due to shit engineering.
Aren't those ports typically not even attached to the main board and only connected by a ribbon cable or some other cabling? I would have just bought a replacement plug and repaired it.
[Reply]
notorious 04:16 PM 11-18-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Aren't those ports typically not even attached to the main board and only connected by a ribbon cable or some other cabling? I would have just bought a replacement plug and repaired it.
I did, and it happened again.

The design sucks. Easy to break when a good ol' plug that's been used in 99% of laptops works with little issue.

Instead they out-smart themselves and put forth this shit design that created a lot of heat at the connection.

Easily fixed or not, poor design is poor design.
[Reply]
eDave 06:07 PM 11-18-2021
Yeah, not really an issue for me. It rarely travels anywhere. Just surprised at the weight.

Good tip on the driver, thanks!
I have an MSI gaming laptop. It's real slim and billed as such. https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GF75-Thin-.../Specification

Fans are noisy af as a result but they only kick on when needed and I can associate fan speeds with applications.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:01 AM 11-19-2021

The design sucks. Easy to break when a good ol' plug that's been used in 99% of laptops works with little issue.

Instead they out-smart themselves and put forth this shit design that created a lot of heat at the connection.

Mine is charged through USB-C
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:09 AM 11-19-2021

Mine has that rectangle plug shown below. It connects on the back and honestly I wish it connected on the left side like my Dell did, but it hasn't really been an issue so far.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up