ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 267 of 1208
« First < 167217257263264265266267 268269270271277317367767 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Nickhead 04:45 AM 09-06-2016
there are some things that do not need to be re-invented. the pizza stone is one of them. using metals, there is no retention of seasoning. its not porous. no different to stainless steel versus cast iron.

do you cook your eggs on stainless steel? i joke, but my point is valid.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:57 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
there are some things that do not need to be re-invented. the pizza stone is one of them. using metals, there is no retention of seasoning. its not porous. no different to stainless steel versus cast iron.

do you cook your eggs on stainless steel? i joke, but my point is valid.

You're talking out of your ass, Nickhead.

The steel performs better than stone, no question. And the "seasoning" on the stone isn't adding any flavor, so that's kinda pointless; all the seasoning does is keep stuff from sticking, which you can do by using parchment paper. And the steel does in fact get seasoned, since that process is only the result of polymerized fat. It seasons just like a carbon steel pan.
[Reply]
srvy 07:01 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:
I dislike those as they usually have been sitting too long in the marinade and too sugary as a result.

Have you tried taking one of those and marinating for 3-4 hours in one of Lawry's marinades?

My two favorites for pork are :

Thats how I feel about also I tried the BBQ and lemon pepper and didnt like either bbq being inedible.
[Reply]
tooge 08:08 AM 09-06-2016
I made shrimp/salmon, and cheesy grits last night. It was the bomb. My son wanted salmon, and wife wanted shrimp/grits. I had salmon and shrimp I needed to cook, so, wah lah, shrimp/salmon and grits. I used a reduction of onion, red wine, crushed tomatoes, garlic, and basil to cook the shrimp in, and topped with some chopped up bacon and scallions. My son didn't want the reduction sauce, so his is the one with plain poached salmon on it. Will do again.
Attached: IMG_0577.JPG (136.8 KB) IMG_0579.JPG (130.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:09 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by tooge:
I made shrimp/salmon, and cheesy grits last night. It was the bomb. My son wanted salmon, and wife wanted shrimp/grits. I had salmon and shrimp I needed to cook, so, wah lah, shrimp/salmon and grits. I used a reduction of onion, red wine, crushed tomatoes, garlic, and basil to cook the shrimp in, and topped with some chopped up bacon and scallions. My son didn't want the reduction sauce, so his is the one with plain poached salmon on it. Will do again.
Those look good. Did you leave the shrimp in the shells? Isn't that kind of a PITA to eat?

How do you do your grits?
[Reply]
tooge 08:12 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Those look good. Did you leave the shrimp in the shells? Isn't that kind of a PITA to eat?

How do you do your grits?
They were, yes. I split the back of the shells so it's pretty easy still. I like the flavor the shells impart in the sauce, and don't want to strain out all the other bits of goodness. Plus, I find the shrimp is always more plump and moist when I leave the shells on. If I were serving it to guests, I'd remove the shells right before plating.
[Reply]
tooge 08:15 AM 09-06-2016
Oh, and for the grits,
2 cups stone ground grits
2.5 cups milk
2.5 cups chicken broth
Stick of butter
simmer and add grits. Stir for a bit, then let thicken on low heat. Add milk if needed.
Add grated cheese, chopped scallion greens, and stir into the grits.
Enjoy
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:17 AM 09-06-2016
They were, yes. I split the back of the shells so it's pretty easy still. I like the flavor the shells impart in the sauce, and don't want to strain out all the other bits of goodness. Plus, I find the shrimp is always more plump and moist when I leave the shells on. If I were serving it to guests, I'd remove the shells right before plating.
The shells definitely add good flavor, good call on splitting the shell. Didn't even think of that! :-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:19 AM 09-06-2016
Oh, and for the grits,
2 cups stone ground grits
2.5 cups milk
2.5 cups chicken broth
Stick of butter
simmer and add grits. Stir for a bit, then let thicken on low heat. Add milk if needed.
Add grated cheese, chopped scallion greens, and stir into the grits.
Enjoy
Interdasting... my grits recipe literally is the same liquid amount (I used 3 c. water, 2 c. milk), but half the stone ground grits. I do mine in a slow cooker, and they take about 6 hours, but get super creamy. I also caramelize onions in butter first, then cook those with the grits. Finish with butter. Depending on the dish, I might add some cheese, but not always.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:19 AM 09-06-2016
so, wah lah
Oh tooge, I love you soooooooo!!!!!!!
[Reply]
tooge 09:57 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Interdasting... my grits recipe literally is the same liquid amount (I used 3 c. water, 2 c. milk), but half the stone ground grits. I do mine in a slow cooker, and they take about 6 hours, but get super creamy. I also caramelize onions in butter first, then cook those with the grits. Finish with butter. Depending on the dish, I might add some cheese, but not always.
The carmelized onions sound good. I just put the chopped scallions in (green parts only) and let them cook with the cheese. I love cheesy grits. Totally unhealthy, but I don't make it very often.
[Reply]
Donger 10:35 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Oh tooge, I love you soooooooo!!!!!!!
Viola.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:45 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
Viola.
Voila

In case people are feeling frosty over me pointing this out. It's truly with love. I think I've related this before at least once here, but in undergrad we had to proofread each other's senior theses, and the one I proofread actually used 'wah la' in his dissertation. It was a hearty chuckle in a stressful time.
[Reply]
Donger 10:49 AM 09-06-2016
I've never had grits.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:52 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
I've never had grits.
Closest thing to compare is to think of a savory oatmeal., or a soupy polenta. It's more a texture to put flavors in than flavor in itself.
[Reply]
Page 267 of 1208
« First < 167217257263264265266267 268269270271277317367767 > Last »
Up