ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 26
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
Frosty 02:23 PM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Dude, "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Sin After Sin", and "Stained Class" are quintessential metal albums. Not the compartmentalized or synth stuff of the 80's. Crunchy, riffy 70's metal.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. I've heard this all before. :-)

I just can't get around Halford's voice.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:27 PM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by Frosty:
I actually don't mind this. :-)

If I want to annoy the crap out of my son, I play this song.

)
Yeah, you win. WTF
[Reply]
Frosty 02:28 PM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yeah, you win. WTF
What? You don't like lounge music? :-)
[Reply]
Dayze 08:20 PM 03-13-2014
"Rainbow in the Dark" is actually a song. It's on the album "Holy Diver".
.....I can't believe I typed that.
I know better. what the hell is wrong with me.
Seriously.....I'm sort of pissed at myself:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:21 PM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by Dayze:
.....I can't believe I typed that.
I know better. what the hell is wrong with me.
Seriously.....I'm sort of pissed at myself:-)
Were you high? That excuse works for me. :-)
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:27 AM 03-14-2014
Why is no one talking about Manowar? :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:28 AM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
Why is no one talking about Manowar? :-)
It appears we are now. :-)
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:30 AM 03-14-2014
I know that shit is cheesy as all fuck....but they're actually pretty talented. And I haven't come across anyone who knows who they are since I was in high school.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:40 AM 03-14-2014
Yeah, I never really got into them. They never really broke through here in the states.

If we had the access to music in the mid-80's that we did now, I totally would have become a fan because I was into D&D and heavy metal.

They spawned a fucking MOVEMENT in the rest of the world though. There's power metal bands everywhere, it's one of the most popular types of music in continental Europe.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:53 AM 03-14-2014
Yeah, I never really got into them. They never really broke through here in the states.

If we had the access to music in the mid-80's that we did now, I totally would have become a fan because I was into D&D and heavy metal.

They spawned a fucking MOVEMENT in the rest of the world though. There's power metal bands everywhere, it's one of the most popular types of music in continental Europe.
Yeah....D&D and heavy metal were the reasons that I got into them. My best friend at the time gave me one of their CDs and I listened to that shit. Plus they have heavy greek mythology influences in their music.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:26 PM 03-14-2014

[Reply]
The Franchise 12:30 PM 03-14-2014
:-)
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 01:23 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
I know that shit is cheesy as all ****....but they're actually pretty talented. And I haven't come across anyone who knows who they are since I was in high school.
Violence and bloodshed, Holy War...yup i've heard them..bought a few of their albums....I liked them although didn't think they were incredible...Now Overkill was awesome...Bobby Blitz Ellsworth ftw!

No love for the original Fates Warning? great band...

[Reply]
Bowser 01:39 PM 03-14-2014
Wasn't there a movement at one time to get Overkill and Testament added to "The Big Four"?

[Reply]
Imon Yourside 01:41 PM 03-14-2014
Wasn't there a movement at one time to get Overkill and Testament added to "The Big Four"?

Chuck Billay say yes.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 26
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up