ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Official Fast Food Thread
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:17 PM 01-10-2022
Discuss your favorite chains, history of said chains, thoughts on the future of the industry, etc etc.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:56 PM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Not really fast food, but Papa Murphy's take and bake is really good. Cook when you're ready.

My local mom and pop Chinese restaurant rocks. Always great, always dependable.
So I know people don't like to cook. But I'm a little surprised take and bake isn't more popular.

So it isn't a chain, but a local pizza shop does a pizza you can bake yourself.

You can pick it up or even have it delivered if you are lazy.

~12 minutes at ~400 in the oven and instead of a lukewarm delivery you have a fresh hot pizza.

Same price as if they bake it, no discount. But you could get a simple pizza and add your own toppings if you wanted to save a bit of money.

But mostly it is just better right out of the oven and it is really easy.

Especially on football Sundays drinking beer at home and delivery times are long and the pizzas might not arrive hot...
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:03 AM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Popeyes is far and away my favorite, its a crying shame my town doesn't have one... rumors been swirling for over a year they were gonna open up in our old Pizza Hut building, but so far bupkis

Loves me a Chipotle burrito, but we don't have one of those either!

And yes I must confess a fondness for LJS, the #3 platter with two fish/three chicken planks is a glorious gutload... aaand they closed down that location here about 2 years ago
The Popeyes in Garden blows. I was pretty excited when they moved in, but they can't hire anybody and I've been twice and it was goddamned cold both times.

And God Fuck Chipotle. 20 years ago I was all in but they've went WAY too far on the organic/all natural/yuppie stay at home mom fucking bullshit and I just can't do it. I'm admittedly close to the situation, but fuck off with that shit. It's one thing to do it and advertise it a bit. It's quite another to jam it down my throat at every available opportunity. Fuck that place with an aircraft carrier.

Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Culver's is all over the place. We have several locations in KC. It's fine, but I prefer Freddy's for a steakburger.
Freddy's does decent work. That's typically where we go if the kids need to eat.

Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I'm seriously, horribly, terribly remiss in forgetting about Portillos

Their dipped Italian beef with roasted peppers and giardiniera is the best sandwich I've ever had, fast food or not
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Italian beef sandwiches are really popular in the Chicago area. There are a couple of local chains that specialize in them, as well as countless independent places. Hell, even many bars offer them on their menus.

I don't think I've ever had a bad Italian beef sandwich, although some are better than others. Seems like a really easy concept - sliced beef, broth and bread, with extras like peppers or mozzarella (personally I prefer mine with mozzarella and tabasco). I'm surprised they haven't caught on in other areas, but nationally there are only a handful of places who sell them. One of my best friends grew up in nearby Aurora, and whenever he visits the first thing he wants is an Italian beef from a small diner in his old neighborhood, and their beef sandwich may well be the best I've tried.

There is a Portillos about five minutes from my house. Ironically, when I order from them I get a beef and cheddar croissant, which is just Italian beef in a croissant. Everywhere else I order the traditional offering.

That Portillos is the busiest fast food place I've ever seen. There is always a long line at the drivethrough, regardless of the time. That place must have raked in millions over the years.
Italian hot beef is one of man's greatest achievements. Unfortunately access is a problem for me. Being the hayseed rube that I am I didn't know shit about it until I audited the Cabela's store in Hoffman Estates when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I ate at a Buona and my god it was wonderful. So I researched up what was what and yep, one of man's greatest achievements.

It's not, however, all that easy to make. I decided I needed more of this in my life (still a hayseed rube) and haven't yet, because it appears it's going to be an endeavor.

Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
I really don't eat fast food anymore. I occasionally will have Chick Fila. When I lived in SoCal
I would hit up the fast food taco joints (they all end in to's ie. Roberto's, Jilberto's Rigaberto's) I miss the Carne Asada Burritos, Rolled Tacos and breakfast burritos.

I was out running around this morning thinking "I sure wish I knew where to get a good Machaca breakfast burrito!
Man, street tacos are fucking amazeballs. Garden has an outfit called La Estrella that I think is just a one location shop but it's the best tacos I've ever had bar none. I've tried to get at what makes them so goddamn good. And I can't get close. I know they fry their corn tortillas before they throw them on the flat top. Same with the jalapeno slices. But I can't get the meat even in the neighborhood.

Originally Posted by notorious:
I feel like shit after eating LJS.

It's been 15 years since eating there.
:-) Wife asked if the one down there was still open. Less than no chance I'm eating that shit.

Originally Posted by notorious:
I was somewhat surprised by their food quality.

Not bad at all.

Breakfast pizza can be amazing.
I can't do it dude. I hate their pizza, and I just can't bring myself to eat anything else in there.
[Reply]
Dayze 11:16 AM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Their macaroni is really good
yeah, we tried Hawaiian Bros for the first time a few months back, had no idea what it was but we were hungry and looking for lunch while doing a ton of errands. Really liked it

and that macaroni...I could be my body weight of that stuff.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:19 AM 01-11-2022
Went to whataburger the other day. It’s a sonic burger. What am I missing? I was in line for about 15 minutes and I won’t do that again. Solid and tasty but I’m not seeing what I should be particularly excited about
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:24 AM 01-11-2022
:-) sorry about your luck with Popeyes and Chipotle, Buehler

But yeah, Italian beef done right is one of mankinds crowning achievements... genius in its simplicity

Thin sliced roast beef
Sweet bell pepper
Spicy pickled veggies
Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside bread that when dipped transforms from a dry husk simply there to hold all the goodies, into a treat of its own, almost as good as the beef itself

Its doesn't need 6 pounds of bacon, or an onion ring, or 5 different kinds of cheese dripping off everywhere, or some goddamn fried egg... no sir!
[Reply]
Dayze 11:34 AM 01-11-2022
in no real order, these are the ones we hit with some regularity on a weekend / errand running or on a night we budget time where we don't / won't have time to cook. Some are a little of a haul for us distance wise so not as frequent as others. They've all been really good 90% of the time.

Chick Fil A
Mod Pizza
Hawaiian Bros
Culver's very close to use; consistently the best fast food by a mile. It's been great, fresh, hot every single time.
5 Guys

Jersey Mikes; a smidge out of the way from us, but it's been awesome each time we've been.

We used to do Papa Murphy's somewhat regularly , but the location near us has gone downhill fast; their 'sauce' these days literally tastes like straight up tomato paste.

we have a Mc'Ds, Taco Bell, Burger King .5 mile of us; garbage
we have a Sonic and Hardee's about 1/8th mile from us. garbage. Lived here 3.5 years and only been to each of Sonic and Hardee's once; absolutely terrible. I'm sure a lot of these traditional 'fast food' places are very greatly depending on management but my god...the McD's, BK, Sonic, etc by us.....they are truly awful. to the point I'm not even sure how they remain in business and/or who is going to them.
[Reply]
Fish 11:58 AM 01-11-2022
The 2 Popeyes closest to me are insanely busy all the time. It's common during noon and dinner hours for there to be a line in the drive through 20+ cars long. The one over by Metcalf and Johnson Dr. normally has a line out the parking lot and down the street.

Still not as bad as Go Chicken Go. JFC, people wait in line 30 minutes for that. In the weeks after the stimulus checks, the line at GCG was well over a block down the street. LOL...
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:07 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Went to whataburger the other day. It’s a sonic burger. What am I missing? I was in line for about 15 minutes and I won’t do that again. Solid and tasty but I’m not seeing what I should be particularly excited about

As someone who lived in El Paso for 3 years, I never understood the hype. This was the first thought I had (tastes like Sonic) when I consumed this mediocrity.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:19 PM 01-11-2022
As far as me, my shit little town there is Wendy's, DQ, Subway, Pizza Hut and I guess Casey's if we're counting that. Of those I try to hit DQ the most because it's a local franchise and let's be real here, their ice cream is the best on the market. I'll die on that hill. The quality of the food is almost entirely dependent on the level of fucklehead they have working in there.

Otherwise there is a taco outfit that serves slop, but I'll be goddamned if I don't absolutely love it. Not sure of the legality of it all, but they got their recipes from Taco Grande if anyone has ever heard of that little chain. There is also a more authentic taco place. Their tacos are OK, but they Quesabrilla is really REALLY fucking good. There is a Chinese place that I think is just here and in Garden. It's good. There are a couple greasy spoons and a higher end outfit and 2 other Mexican houses as well as the Majestic Theater that I won't consider fast food, but I typically try to eat there (other than the Majestic. I don't have enough money to eat there LOL - It's not that bad, but it typically takes more planning than I usually do to eat there). I guess there is another outfit I don't eat at much. I like the gal, but the hours are all over the place and I don't check or plan ahead LOL. I usually try to eat those places over the chains.

Other stuff I like that is typically not around here in addition to the other stuff I mentioned above.

I like Jersey Mikes and Firehouse Subs. I'm open to being wrong here, just because they're not GOD FUCKING Subway.

Mod Pizza (Thanks for the rec DaFace). Shit is money.

Hog Wild/Billy Sims - I know the purists will crush me, but I don't care. I'd rather eat a mediocre pulled pork sandwich from a chain than a mediocre hamburger from a chain. Come at me bro.

Qdoba - Chipotle can fuck right the fuck off. It's not great, but it scratches that itch.

Teddy's Burger - I think it's only in Hawaii, but my fucking god that shit is good.

Scooter's Coffee - It's not food, but it's better than the other shit on the market. I've had good experiences there.

There are a few more places I'd like to try. Chick-fil-a, What a burger, 5 guys. I ate a Jack in the box once but seriously everyone in there was high as a fucking kite, so I'd like to try it again. There is probably a bunch of others I'm too dumb to know about. But even then these days I try to find non-chains or higher quality food if possible. Most of the "fast" food I'm doing it for the convenience not the food.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:21 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
Are Skipper's and/or Arctic Circle still around? I worked for both at one point when I lived in the Portland area. Skipper's clam chowder is still my wife's favorite. I ordered some cans a couple years ago just to put a smile on her face.
I worked at an Arctic Circle in Salem for four hours once.

There are only two in Oregon now, in Newport and Woodburn. Apparently there are a bunch of them in southern Idaho and Utah. Mormons must love themselves some Arctic Circle. :-)
[Reply]
Fish 12:23 PM 01-11-2022
One thing I never expected when I moved to KC. The Mexican food. Holy shit, there's some awesome places to eat in this town. There are local joints all over town that serve street tacos that are just incredible.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:26 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
One thing I never expected when I moved to KC. The Mexican food. Holy shit, there's some awesome places to eat in this town. There are local joints all over town that serve street tacos that are just incredible.
Yeah, SAUTO would always send me shit he'd dig up out there and yeah, there is some good stuff.

I can't do it though. I can get good Mexican here, I can't get good Q. So Q it is whenever I make it out that way.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:32 PM 01-11-2022
I'm really limited to places I can eat so I almost never eat fast food. If I am on the road, it is either 5 Guys (I wish their fries were better) or Costa Vida (west coast chain similar to Qdoba). I'm not sure Costa Vida would qualify for fast food anymore, though, as it has gotten ****ing expensive.

Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I ate a Jack in the box once but seriously everyone in there was high as a ****ing kite, so I'd like to try it again.
Back when I could eat it, I loved the Sourdough Jack burgers at Jack in the Box and they were my #1 go to fast food burgers. It's been almost 20 years since I've eaten there, though, so I have no idea if they still have them or if they are the same.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:55 PM 01-11-2022
Since I live in Independence and work in Lenexa, I cross the entire city every day. Here's the places on my radar if I want food fast -not all would be called "fast food" and some places aren't that fast.

Burgers:
I'm close to Freddie's Steakburger at work, also have a DQ close by. Five Guys at Oak Park Mall but I don't like getting out of my car. Hi Boys in Indep is my go to. Their double cheese is awesome. Big Boy on US 40 and Crysler is good too. Also have the usual suspects: BK, Hardee's, Mickey Ds, Jackboot in the Box, Sonic that everybody has available.

Taco: I've got a Pancho's in an old converted Taco Bell on US 24 Highway. They make shrimp tacos that are very good. Also have a Torchy's not too far from work for weird tacos. They're pricey. Mom and pop place in Independence called Tequilaeros has good enchiladas.

BBQ: I can hit just about any BBQ joint I want on the way home. I'm in close proximity to Gates, Bryant's, Joe's, Jack Stack, Zarda, LC's, Big T's, Johnny's, Lil BBQ Joint, Q39. There's even a BBQ trailer called Aunt Mildreds that's about 3 blocks from my house.

Other stuff: Arby's, KFC, Church's Chicken, Go Chicken Go, Zaxby's, Cain's Chicken, etc. I won't patronize Chick Fil A because they're fundamentalist bigots. That's just me.

I go to Englewood Cafe near my house a lot. Mom and pop diner that's great. Wonderful Breakfast. One of the best burgers in town and reasonably priced too. I like Corner Cafe in Riverside and Independence for comfort food. Another cool little place is Portia's Eats Cafe on Truman Road just east of I-70 in East KC. Very nice people and good food.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 10:55 AM 01-21-2022
Been seeing a lot of national commercials for Church's Chicken. I wonder if they are trying to make a comeback. Last time I ate there was about 15-16 years ago on the drive home from Disney. I got food poisoning from the mac n cheese.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up