ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Was Mahomes 2022 season the most impressive ever by a QB?
RunKC 07:24 AM 06-08-2023
Heard this from Nick Wright and had to explore it.

Mahomes lost Tyreek and was not going to “be the same guy” without him. Wel except he had 5k yards, 41 TD’s, 12 INT’s and another MVP. On top of that he had A clean sweep in the playoffs ( 7 TD’s/0 INT’s) on one leg beating 3 of the best rookie QB talents in the league in a row.

He also broke the streak and won a SB while winning MVP which hadn’t happened since Kurt Warner.

What other QB seasons can compare to that? I guess you could bring up Manning in 2012, but he got his ass beat by Seattle in the SB. Brady had his best statistical year but got beat by the Giants.

Maybe Kurt Warner?

Does anyone else compare to this?
[Reply]
TLO 10:53 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Spoiler!
Mods please ban.
Thx
[Reply]
Coogs 11:05 AM 06-08-2023
Yep! Let's see if Burrow can do this when OBJ gets whipped like this on the regular.

Mahomes magic! 🪄

📺: #KCvsDEN on CBS
📱: Stream on NFL+ https://t.co/TzmdzbFm9o pic.twitter.com/AVyeGJYeHV

— NFL (@NFL) December 11, 2022

[Reply]
DJay23 11:18 AM 06-08-2023
Wasn't Mahomes the first QB ever to win the Super Bowl and have the most passing yards? That alone doesn't seal it, but have a "first ever" in there sure helps.
[Reply]
PHOG 11:25 AM 06-08-2023
Lol, Burrow would go into the fetal position.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 11:28 AM 06-08-2023
I change my vote to Kurt Warner in 1999. Dude walked off a Price Chopper aisle into an MVP and SB, with crazy numbers to boot.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:35 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think statistically, there's been some regular seasons that were better, but when you add the whole thing up....man he was really good.

When you start looking at advanced stats.....he really blew apart the league.
Yep, if you include the postseason it really launches him to the top.

The vast majority of the absolute best QB seasons just didn’t end in a Super Bowl win so they can’t compare. 84 Marino, 04 Manning, 09 Brees, 11 Rodgers, 07 Brady, 10 Brady, 15 Brady, 14 Rodgers, 13 Manning, 18 Mahomes, etc. all ended without a Super Bowl win.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:38 AM 06-08-2023
If Nick Wright said that then he stole it from Chris Simms who's been saying that since the SB win.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:44 AM 06-08-2023
that's what chris simms said

[Reply]
gordonelloyd 02:20 PM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by Gary Cooper:
I change my vote to Kurt Warner in 1999. Dude walked off a Price Chopper aisle into an MVP and SB, with crazy numbers to boot.
I was initially going to agree with this.

But then I thought the key point in what Chris said on his TV show was how mahomes had won two of three Super Bowls, when each time the other team had overall better talent.

That’s why he beats out Kurt Warner’s 1999 season because you have to look at the talent they were each working with. Warner had 2 Hall of Fame receivers in Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce and his third receiver Hakim was probably better than anybody in the Chiefs wide receiver mash unit last year. And Marshall Faulk was probably the best combination running back and receiver out of the backfield in NFL history. Mahomes did not have a supporting cast even close to that other than Kelsey.

So yes, Chris Simms is probably right. Mahomes last year ahead, the best year of any quarterback in NFL history. And it kind of went under the radar.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 02:29 PM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by gordonelloyd:
I was initially going to agree with this.

But then I thought the key point in what Chris said on his TV show was how mahomes had won two of three Super Bowls, when each time the other team had overall better talent.

That’s why he beats out Kurt Warner’s 1999 season because you have to look at the talent they were each working with. Warner had 2 Hall of Fame receivers in Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce and his third receiver Hakim was probably better than anybody in the Chiefs wide receiver mash unit last year. And Marshall Faulk was probably the best combination running back and receiver out of the backfield in NFL history. Mahomes did not have a supporting cast even close to that other than Kelsey.

So yes, Chris Simms is probably right. Mahomes last year ahead, the best year of any quarterback in NFL history. And it kind of went under the radar.
My point was Mahomes in 2022 was already more accomplished and seasoned. Warner literally walked out of nowhere. The Rams had talent, but they're weren't exactly a perennial contender prior to him getting there.

Also, I disagree the 49ers had more talent than KC in 2019. I'd agree the Eagles were more talented in 2022 though.
[Reply]
kcgreene 02:47 PM 06-08-2023
Mahomes just won the Super Bowl last year while taking up 17.19% of the salary cap, the highest cap percentage of any Super Bowl Champion since the Salary cap was created.

Second in that metric is Steve Young back when the cap was created in 94 at 13.1% of the cap.

Don't get me wrong, Veach and Reid assembled a roster around him, but from that standpoint alone, what he did is nothing short of legendary.

Since the cap was instituted, the average cap percentage of the super bowl winning QB is 6.99%.

Mahomes won it all at roughly 2.5 times that average, when no other QB ever has done in at even double.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 04:06 PM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by kcgreene:
Mahomes just won the Super Bowl last year while taking up 17.19% of the salary cap, the highest cap percentage of any Super Bowl Champion since the Salary cap was created.

Second in that metric is Steve Young back when the cap was created in 94 at 13.1% of the cap.

Don't get me wrong, Veach and Reid assembled a roster around him, but from that standpoint alone, what he did is nothing short of legendary.

Since the cap was instituted, the average cap percentage of the super bowl winning QB is 6.99%.

Mahomes won it all at roughly 2.5 times that average, when no other QB ever has done in at even double.
The Rams won the Super Bowl in 2021 with $20m going to Stafford (10%), another 1.5m to backups (around 1%), and an insane $24.7m dead cap hit for Jared Goff (13.1%). Totaled up to nearly 25% of the cap going to QBs that year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2021/

I thought that was interesting.
[Reply]
Bump 04:08 PM 06-08-2023
I would say his playoff performances were the best ever. He did almost all of the postseason on a bum ankle
[Reply]
smithandrew051 04:37 PM 06-08-2023
Yup. I said it at the time too:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Mahomes had the single best season in NFL QB History.

MVP, Super Bowl Champ, Super Bowl MVP, injured for the last 10 quarters of the postseason, and all after trading the most dangerous weapon in the game. Plus, he’s not on the rookie contract anymore.

Mahomes is the only guy who is going to top this past season any time soon.

Nothing that any QB has done in this league touches what he did.

[Reply]
FringeNC 05:52 PM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Yep! Let's see if Burrow can do this when OBJ gets whipped like this on the regular.

An all-time great, but I had never paid attention to the offensive line breakdown before. OBJ simply is not very good.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up