ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3766 of 3903
« First < 2766326636663716375637623763376437653766 3767376837693770377638163866 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
penguinz 07:55 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
Totally understand all of that, and agree. There was insufficient data to guide a lot of decisions early on. I still think vaccines are useful. However, I do have a few minor counterpoints here:

1) The vaccine I am referring to is the Janssen vaccine (Johnson and Johnson), which is not using mRNA. It's more traditional than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

2) The two articles that I linked to in my original post were written on 7/8/2021 and 7/20/2021. Granted the Delta variant is newer, but I would hope for better consistency in the publication of attention grabbing headlines. Because sadly, that is about as far as most people read these days.

I think my biggest concern is the lack of interest in knowing which vaccine I had and when. It seems like that would be critical information to have in evaluating real-world effectiveness in a vaccine. Perhaps they feel they have enough data? I dunno.
They can see which one you had and when just by looking at your medical records.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:01 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
This kind of info is why I don't believe mask mandates are helpful at all. And there are countless examples just like this one.

https://mailchi.mp/tomwoods/boot?e=06bc172bc3
Well, my families direct experience may say otherwise. My daughter, 11 and in 6th grade, has had two close contacts in school so far this year and not come down with COVID either time. These were kids in her classrooms. Her school has a strict masks mandate.

The real issue with mask mandates and trying to compare states/areas is the actual mask compliance.

It has been known for a long time that masking during flu season reduces cases.

https://reason.com/volokh/2020/04/03...e-and-helpful/
[Reply]
stanleychief 08:03 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
They can see which one you had and when just by looking at your medical records.
Excellent point. I should have considered that. It is strange how many questions they ask when signing up for the test though. They asked age, ethnicity, and various other demographic questions. "Are you vaccinated?" was one of them. It seems like that would be pointless if they were joining the data with my medical record. Maybe the lab just collects that data for their own internal purposes.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:09 AM 10-08-2021
Ok, here is the original reason I stopped into this thread today.

This kind of info is why I don't believe mask mandates are helpful at all. And there are countless examples just like this one.

https://mailchi.mp/tomwoods/boot?e=06bc172bc3
What variables are involved other than masks vs no mask? This is why it is all but pointless to post these charts.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:14 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
Totally understand all of that, and agree. There was insufficient data to guide a lot of decisions early on. I still think vaccines are useful. However, I do have a few minor counterpoints here:

1) The vaccine I am referring to is the Janssen vaccine (Johnson and Johnson), which is not using mRNA. It's more traditional than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

2) The two articles that I linked to in my original post were written on 7/8/2021 and 7/20/2021. Granted the Delta variant is newer, but I would hope for better consistency in the publication of attention grabbing headlines. Because sadly, that is about as far as most people read these days.

I think my biggest concern is the lack of interest in knowing which vaccine I had and when. It seems like that would be critical information to have in evaluating real-world effectiveness in a vaccine. Perhaps they feel they have enough data? I dunno.
This NYT article is about a month old, but it provides a pretty good overview of what we know about J&J's effectiveness and the likelihood of booster recommendations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/h...e-booster.html
[Reply]
DaFace 08:21 AM 10-08-2021
What variables are involved other than masks vs no mask? This is why it is all but pointless to post these charts.
Yeah, that's the issue. And really, it's broader issue with random schmucks on the internet looking at data and drawing conclusions without any real expertise on how to analyze it properly.

That said, I do wish that things hadn't gotten so muddled that useful information is being completely missed these days. For example, why are we still wearing cloth masks? From the beginning we knew that surgical masks for far more effective. We only wore cloth masks due to supply issue with surgical masks. Yet I'd guess 3/4ths of people out there are still wearing the cloth ones. When the story gets bogged down by "masks vs. no-masks" we completely miss information that actually could make a difference.

Now, all that said, I really don't care much about mask mandates in most situations. Vaccines make a far bigger difference than masks do. In restaurants, it seems silly since people just take them off to eat. In grocery stores, you're not around people long enough for it to matter much. It probably makes sense for indoor concert venues, movie theaters, and public transit, but that's about it.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:21 AM 10-08-2021
I disagree. I don't think there are any other gov't enforced variables. No lockdowns, etc. Yes, there are always going to be variables about people's behavior. But that doesn't just vary from state to state. That varies within each state. Mask mandates don't do jack.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:23 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Well, my families direct experience may say otherwise. My daughter, 11 and in 6th grade, has had two close contacts in school so far this year and not come down with COVID either time. These were kids in her classrooms. Her school has a strict masks mandate.

The real issue with mask mandates and trying to compare states/areas is the actual mask compliance.

It has been known for a long time that masking during flu season reduces cases.

https://reason.com/volokh/2020/04/03...e-and-helpful/
I'll take a look at that article later. But the one thing about masks is that most people are wearing cloth masks. Those are not effective. I guess the surgical masks are what work to some extent. But, as far as I know, most people don't have access to those.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:25 AM 10-08-2021
I disagree. I don't think there are any other gov't enforced variables. No lockdowns, etc. Yes, there are always going to be variables about people's behavior. But that doesn't just vary from state to state. That varies within each state. Mask mandates don't do jack.
That's just plain false. They're not 100% effective. Everyone has known that since March of 2020. But just because something is only 30-40% effective doesn't mean it "doesn't do jack."

Now, is there a debate about how far we should go for something that is 30-40% effective when there is an alternative (vaccines) that are 90%+ effective? Sure. But painting a grey picture in black and white doesn't help anything.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:28 AM 10-08-2021
And this is exactly why 99% of people should not be trying to decipher what these charts and data mean.

You cannot ignore other variables. Being gov't enforced or not.
[Reply]
Katipan 09:29 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, that's the issue. And really, it's broader issue with random schmucks on the internet looking at data and drawing conclusions without any real expertise on how to analyze it properly.

That said, I do wish that things hadn't gotten so muddled that useful information is being completely missed these days. For example, why are we still wearing cloth masks? From the beginning we knew that surgical masks for far more effective. We only wore cloth masks due to supply issue with surgical masks. Yet I'd guess 3/4ths of people out there are still wearing the cloth ones. When the story gets bogged down by "masks vs. no-masks" we completely miss information that actually could make a difference.

Now, all that said, I really don't care much about mask mandates in most situations. Vaccines make a far bigger difference than masks do. In restaurants, it seems silly since people just take them off to eat. In grocery stores, you're not around people long enough for it to matter much. It probably makes sense for indoor concert venues, movie theaters, and public transit, but that's about it.

... cloth masks can be washed Mr. Richy Rich.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:11 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Katipan:
... cloth masks can be washed Mr. Richy Rich.
Sure, but it's not like the others are particularly expensive. You can get a box of 100 on Amazon for around $15. So assuming you wear one every single day, it would cost you less than $60/year.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:17 AM 10-08-2021
Here's something fun to try.

https://www.covidchartsquiz.com/

:-)
[Reply]
Lzen 10:21 AM 10-08-2021
And this is exactly why 99% of people should not be trying to decipher what these charts and data mean.

You cannot ignore other variables. Being gov't enforced or not.
Ok, fine. Then let me ask you a question. Do you have the same attitude when the mainstream media or the current administration presents charts to promote their view?

I think the main thing the charts I posted are trying to point out is that the powers that be are trying to prove their mask mandates are effective. And the problem is that they, like a lot of things, always cut off at a certain point so that people won't see the whole picture.

And one last thing. If you don't think these comparisons prove what he is saying then why do you suppose those lines on the graphs are practically identical? Any theories?
[Reply]
Katipan 10:22 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sure, but it's not like the others are particularly expensive. You can get a box of 100 on Amazon for around $15. So assuming you wear one every single day, it would cost you less than $60/year.
Big assumption. I know of no one specifically that has to wear a mask that can make one disposable last all day.

Don't get me started on teenagers and kids.
[Reply]
Page 3766 of 3903
« First < 2766326636663716375637623763376437653766 3767376837693770377638163866 > Last »
Up