ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 31
« First < 121819202122 23242526 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target
Direckshun 01:43 PM 03-12-2023
Didn’t see it posted.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023...laremy-tunsil/

ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target

Could the Kansas City Chiefs go back to the trade market to find their left tackle of the future? One ESPN insider is watching a particular player closely if that’s the case.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano recently helped compile some last-minute free agency and trade buzz with the NFL’s legal tampering period kicking off at noon tomorrow. He mentioned that Houston Texans LT Laremy Tunsil could be a trade target for Kansas City if they’re unable to get a long-term deal done with Orlando Brown Jr. ahead of Monday.

Check it out:

Originally Posted by :
“One potential trade target I’m watching is Houston left tackle Laremy Tunsil. The Texans have resisted trading him in recent years, but he has just one year and a nonguaranteed $18.5 million left on his contract and could be a target of the Chiefs if they aren’t able to bring back Orlando Brown Jr.”
What would need to happen for a trade to materialize?

First, Houston would need to decide that they did not want to pay Tunsil a long-term contract extension. That would be a bold move considering they’re expected to draft a rookie quarterback and nothing is better for a rookie quarterback than an established left tackle.

Second, the two sides would have to agree on trade compensation. Would the Chiefs really be willing to potentially give up a first-round draft pick in 2023 (and potentially more) for Tunsil when they’re hosting the draft in Kansas City?

Next up, the Chiefs and Tunsil’s representation would need to first agree to a contract extension that would lower his 2023 salary cap hit. Right now, his cap hit would put the team over the cap.

Finally, Kansas City must view Tunsil as their “long-term solution” at left tackle. Will they envision him as such when he’ll be 29 years old in Week 1 of 2023? There is certainly nothing wrong with his ability — in three of the past four seasons, he’s been among PFF’s highest-graded pass-blocking offensive tackles. They should have no problem paying for that production, but would it be for more than one contract? It’s hard to say. When you draft a rookie in the first round, you get five years of control (fifth-year option), plus a likely sixth year of control through the franchise tag. Then you have the potential of re-signing that player to a long-term deal afterward.

There are certainly benefits to trading for Tunsil, but given what we’re hearing about what the Chiefs want out of the left tackle position this offseason, a trade might not be the route they take.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:26 AM 03-14-2023
Wow.

That would be incredible. And demoralizing for the Chiefs' top AFC competitor.

Oh, what's that, Bengals? You need upgrades at both tackle spots? How about WR just grab the top guy at each of those positions, mkay?
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:27 AM 03-14-2023
Tunsil would be a nice luxury that the Chiefs really don't need.

Taylor and Niang are equal, if not better replacements for OBJ and Wylie.
[Reply]
Balto 09:27 AM 03-14-2023
We have also had the DE spot eating up over $20M for years that we don't now. For a couple of years before we traded Hill he was hitting the books for over $16M.

I think its not a matter of having the highest payroll for the tackle position in the NFL, which Veach did with Schwartz and Fisher BTW, I think its just moving those funds around.

Veach let Frank go and its pointing to young and cheap at DE....Veach went young and cheap at corner....Veach traded Hill and spread out the funds.

I believe that Cap space for BOTH Tunsil and Taylor is not a concern for Veach at this point. I think its more on the asking price from the Texans on a trade.

Just makes sense to me:
Veach has history of paying the tackle position more than another team in the NFL
Veach has history of going big at the OL weak spots
Veach has history of moving cap around to make things work
Veach has history of trading for stud players and paying them

We ALWAYS hear that teams should protect the QB, protect the best player on the team. How could we be upset if Veach pays out for the best OL in the NFL to protect Mahomes and give him more time to be Mahomes?

PAY to PROTECT and Draft well!!!
[Reply]
Balto 09:28 AM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Literally the only way I can see a Tunsil trade working out cap wise is if you believe the following things:

1. Kelce is retiring in 2025 at 36. His cap hit comes off the books.
2. You plan on getting out of Thuney's contract in 2025 (or 2024 June 1st at the earliest).
3. You might need to get out of Taylor's contract in 2025.

That's understanding that your idea is to have Tunsil at LT. You already have a plan at LG. You can resign Humphrey. Smith leaves in FA. And you have a plan at RT.

That makes 2024 tight and you'd better hope that you're still nailing draft picks to fill depth spots.
OR you keep going young at WR and Defense
[Reply]
Hoover 09:38 AM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

Basically this.

You're also going to have factor in the picks that it would take to get Tunsil because you're now losing out on those players and their cheap contracts.
Right. And that's were you could quickly turn me into a hard no.

Its al depends on the cost to get him.
[Reply]
Balto 09:40 AM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Tunsil would be a nice luxury that the Chiefs really don't need.

Taylor and Niang are equal, if not better replacements for OBJ and Wylie.
I think everyone would agree that OT was our weak spot last season
[Reply]
SAGA45 09:42 AM 03-14-2023
Only questions on the Oline heading into the postseason and Super Bowl were the tackle positions. Makes sense the Chiefs would want to upgrade both, especially after Mahomes got hurt.

If they land Tunsil, I'd imagine an elaborately enveloped order was sent down from the quiet Don Clark Hunt to his top assassin Brett Veach and it simply read "LVIII".
[Reply]
Lzen 09:44 AM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by Shoes:
The salary cap is a myth.
This is nonsense. Yes, teams can find ways to manipulate the cap but it is still there. And it serves the purpose of keeping competitive advantages to a minimum.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 09:44 AM 03-14-2023
Keep posting boys. We’re going to will this into existence.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:45 AM 03-14-2023
Bengo: "We need to get better at Offensive Tackle."

Chiefs: "Oh yeah, you do. Hey, look, there's a free agent RT who would be perfect for you guys..."
Bengo: "Jawaan Taylor? I know!!!"

Chiefs: "Yeah, I'm going take that."
Bengo: "That's a lot of money. Are you sure he can play LT for you?"
Chiefs: "Remember how we were talking about trading for Laremy Tunsil?"

Bengo: "Yeah, but you can't do that now, obviously, right?

"Right?

"Right?

"Chiefs? Chiefs, are you still there?"

Chiefs: "Oh, hey, sorry. I was just wrapping up the trade for Tunsil. Texans gave him to us for a 3rd this year and next. Can you believe those idiots?

Bengo? Bengo, are you there?"

Bengo: "I'ma... I'ma.... I'ma gonna go watch some highlights of the 2021 AFC Championship Game, OK? Bye."
[Reply]
smithandrew051 09:47 AM 03-14-2023
So basically, we went from “Fuck it, Tyreek down there somewhere” to “Fuck it, someone will get open eventually and no one will be within 3 yards of me anyway”
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 09:48 AM 03-14-2023
The peoples of other NFL teams do not like trading their guys to the Chiefs. They all be wearing rings the following winter.
[Reply]
O.city 09:48 AM 03-14-2023
You could essentially say "We're gonna lock up the best two tackles we can and we will add to the interior as we go via the draft, which is usually easier".
[Reply]
smithandrew051 09:51 AM 03-14-2023
Man, if this happens…I can’t wait to read the Chiefs haters.

“Rigged”

“Salary cap is a myth”

“Cheaters”

And of course, the delusional fan who thinks the Chiefs will fall apart any second now:

“Look at those stupid Chiefs investing their money in QB, OT, and Pass Rushers while drafting cheap quality DBs, LBs, and Receivers. Chargers are taking the West. Bengals to the Super Bowl.”
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:55 AM 03-14-2023
Wait, wut?
[Reply]
Page 22 of 31
« First < 121819202122 23242526 > Last »
Up