ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 61 of 112
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571111 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign UDFA Justyn Ross
ShowtimeSBMVP 10:28 AM 05-02-2022

Clemson WR Justyn Ross is signing with the #Chiefs to their 90-man roster, per source.

Ross led the ACC in receiving as a freshman in 2018, ranked fifth nationally with 21.7 YPC and was second in receiving touchdowns. He also stands 6-3, 210 pounds. High quality addition for

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) May 2, 2022

[Reply]
Hayneplane 10:17 AM 04-05-2023
Seems increasingly like they are happy with a plan to draft some guys and mould them to the role they want to fill.

They didn’t seem all that bothered by JJSS and Mecole departing as it didn’t appear we put in a strong offer for either.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:10 AM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Ok, well, there's a fair amount of hyperbole here in your hypotheticals.

Yeah, if MVS, Toney, and Kelce all go down, we're kind of going to struggle. Duh.

But you're being over the top judging the WR room.

If you want to argue that you're not comfortable with the lack of proven production, I won't even argue against that. That's inarguable.

But injury prone? One guy, Toney. It's mostly hamstrings. I have to believe there's a training regimen that can get some extra flexibility in your hammies and that The Chiefs have him working on that. I mean, if they're planning on him being the '#1WR' as has been reported, then that would seem to be implicit. They're not stupid. But yeah, you've got one guy that's been an injury concern.

Young? Absolutely. Is that a challenge? You bet. If Andy's signing off on it, he's comfortable and knowing what we know of Big Red, he's probably looking forward to the challenge.

'lightly talented'? Get outta here with that shit. This ain't Pringle and Drob.

I'm sure they will sign a vet. I'm also pretty sure it'll be Watson. It makes too much sense not to, since he'll be in year two of the offense, and he can sub in at any position.
Dammit, knew that was going to be misunderstood. I wasn't saying "if Toney and Kelce go down . . ."

Obviously, if both went down, forget it, season's over.

Those were supposed to be taken individually, each as its own scenario, not stacked on top of each other.

But I don't think I'm being overly harsh about the WR room and the talent there, as it stands right now, not what we think is going to happen with Watson, Justyn Ross or whoever. Take what we have right now and compare it to the top-10 teams' WR rooms . . . check their stats etc. We're light on talent right now. Very light on production, obviously. Hell, add up the stats of the top-5 WRs that caught a ball for KC in 2022, and compare that to just the top-3 WRs of every playoff team in 2022. In most cases, our top-5 WRs can't match what their top-2 or -3 WRs produced.

Now, is Skyy more talented than DRob/Pringle? Probably. Would I rather have Skyy and Watson vs. DRob/Pringle? Absolutely. But is that a giant leap in performance? Not sure about that. Yet.

And Justin Watson isn't the answer. He's a ST that occasionally subs in for MVS.
[Reply]
Warpaint69 11:42 AM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by Hayneplane:
Seems increasingly like they are happy with a plan to draft some guys and mould them to the role they want to fill.

They didn’t seem all that bothered by JJSS and Mecole departing as it didn’t appear we put in a strong offer for either.
From everything I've seen this is a draft you're going to have to be role specific implementing them into your scheme to fit their strength(s) with a good majority of the WR's in this class.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:23 PM 04-05-2023
There's little doubt that we bring Watson back, IMO. I also think we add 2 guys in the draft. It wouldn't shock me if we signed another vet as well. That's a ton of guys, especially if you're including the Rosses and guys like Jerrion Ealy who have a shot as well. The Chiefs are going to throw numbers at the problem (instead of cap $), IMO. Will be fun to see it all shake out.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:28 PM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Dammit, knew that was going to be misunderstood. I wasn't saying "if Toney and Kelce go down . . ."

Obviously, if both went down, forget it, season's over.

Those were supposed to be taken individually, each as its own scenario, not stacked on top of each other.

But I don't think I'm being overly harsh about the WR room and the talent there, as it stands right now, not what we think is going to happen with Watson, Justyn Ross or whoever. Take what we have right now and compare it to the top-10 teams' WR rooms . . . check their stats etc. We're light on talent right now. Very light on production, obviously. Hell, add up the stats of the top-5 WRs that caught a ball for KC in 2022, and compare that to just the top-3 WRs of every playoff team in 2022. In most cases, our top-5 WRs can't match what their top-2 or -3 WRs produced.

Now, is Skyy more talented than DRob/Pringle? Probably. Would I rather have Skyy and Watson vs. DRob/Pringle? Absolutely. But is that a giant leap in performance? Not sure about that. Yet.

And Justin Watson isn't the answer. He's a ST that occasionally subs in for MVS.
We can line up and play tomorrow with the three guys who caught TD passes and the guy who ran one in two months ago in the Super Bowl against the number one defense in football.

Are there question marks? Yeah, it's April. Every other team in football has question marks, too.

Justin Watson the answer? To what question? A veteran than play each spot in a pinch and knows the offense? That's the only question for that answer.

Andy said it, Veach said it, and it's happening. They see Toney and Skyy as their guys along with MVS.

They'll draft a guy, and they'll bring in a guy for insurance (which Watson is almost certainly the best answer given familiarity, speed, and size).
[Reply]
AussieChiefsFan 08:21 PM 04-07-2023
Decent video on his background. Would be an amazing comeback story.

[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 09:18 AM 04-08-2023
40 times for KC's current WRs:

john ross 4.22
mvs 4.37
toney 4.39
moore 4.41
smith-marsette 4.43
james 4.48
ealy 4.52
powell 4.53
justyn ross 4.63

It's strange that people are so hyped up for a guy (Ross) who ran a considerably slower 40 than Smith-Schuster. Frankly, he seems like a really similar player to JJSS, but taller.

Then you have the other Ross. Literally the fastest player in league history. If he can stay somewhat healthy, he could be the new gadget/jet sweep guy.
[Reply]
scho63 09:37 AM 04-08-2023
This is another low risk / high upside signing. Like so many of Veach's we aren't commiting much.

We tried this with Josh Gordon.
[Reply]
jettio 09:41 AM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:

john ross 4.22
mvs 4.37
toney 4.39
moore 4.41
smith-marsette 4.43
james 4.48
ealy 4.52
powell 4.53
justyn ross 4.63

It's strange that people are so hyped up for a guy (Ross) who ran a considerably slower 40 than Smith-Schuster. Frankly, he seems like a really similar player to JJSS, but taller.

Then you have the other Ross. Literally the fastest player in league history. If he can stay somewhat healthy, he could be the new gadget/jet sweep guy.
You should find the National Championship game Clemson won at 49ers stadium in Santa Clara when Ross was a freshman.

Trevor Lawrence and Tee Higgins had great games and Justyn Ross may have been the most impressive.
[Reply]
bigjosh 09:51 AM 04-08-2023

john ross 4.22
mvs 4.37
toney 4.39
moore 4.41
smith-marsette 4.43
james 4.48
ealy 4.52
powell 4.53
justyn ross 4.63

He did that obviously injured. His combine numbers aren’t a good representation of what he was/is capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
PHOG 09:53 AM 04-08-2023
From what I've heard, that 40 time of Ross' was ran on a bum foot that was further messed up with a botched surgery?
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 10:04 AM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
He did that obviously injured. His combine numbers aren’t a good representation of what he was/is capable of.

So I've heard. But how much faster would it have been? He looks about Juju's speed on film.

Doesn't mean he can't still be effective, of course.
[Reply]
Danguardace 10:05 AM 04-08-2023

john ross 4.22
mvs 4.37
toney 4.39
moore 4.41
smith-marsette 4.43
james 4.48
ealy 4.52
powell 4.53
justyn ross 4.63

I think we done with just drafting/signing speed so much more to the wr position that straight speed.
[Reply]
bigjosh 10:11 AM 04-08-2023
So I've heard. But how much faster would it have been? He looks about Juju's speed on film.

Doesn't mean he can't still be effective, of course.

He played in college like a high 4.4 to low 4.5 -guy. Not lightning quick, but not a box em out type either.

If he can regain that mobility the kid has a real chance to do some things in the league.

[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:12 AM 04-08-2023
Rather than read all the way thru the thread I will ask here...

Are people questioning MVS as a quality receiver? I have been watching many of the YouTube videos put together highlighting the better plays of the season...and MVS came up more than I would have believed.....even though Kelce and JJSS had the years they did.
[Reply]
Page 61 of 112
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571111 > Last »
Up