ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Cell Phones? What do you have ?
ROYC75 09:33 PM 05-09-2022
I have not bought a cell phone, probably 10=12 years now. I know tech has changed so much, each year a better phone supposedly comes out. It's time to upgrade and since I really have not been keeping up with phones , what is considered a good deal on a refurbished android?

I recall liking a Samsung 8 a while back and almost pulled the string on it. So is that a good phone? Is there a better android that I could buy refurbished. I want to purchase it outright and not be locked into a contract with AT & T.

What say you CP ?
What kind do you have ?
What do you like about it?

You get to be my salesman, give your sales pitch!
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:34 PM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I've always been a bang for my buck shopper and I can't talk myself into buying a $1000 phone. That is completely insane to me.

If I were buying a phone today I would probably get that Asus Zenfone 8 for $500-600, but it only works on GSM so no Verizon/Sprint.
I hear that.

Im using an LG V20, which is now an 8 year old phone.

It's great, does everything i need it to do and takes great pictures too.

I'm ruing the day i have to replace it. Not looking forward to dropping $1K on a goddamn cell phone.

A lot of people have no problem with that. But my phone isn't my life. I put the motherfucker away as soon as i get home. Don't even look at again until i have to leave somewhere.

If there's an emergency with the fam everyone knows to call my wife.
[Reply]
Fish 03:03 PM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Yeah but for an older gentleman who's been using Android his whole life?

Iphone is confusing as all fuck if you're not an apple user.

If dude has been using Android his whole life, stick to that.
iPhone is not confusing as hell. Not sure where you get that idea. iOS is built upon standardization and ease of use. Apple exerts great control over everything that happens within the OS, specifically for the purpose of making it simple and intuitive. Which allows them to provide the same experience across all iOS devices. I'm not even an iPhone user either. I've owned Android phones for decades.
[Reply]
Donger 03:25 PM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
If you're really wanting an Android, I'd recommend the Galaxy S10, or a really good step up the Galaxy S20.
If it's not an iPhone, why would I want it?
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:47 PM 05-11-2022
iPhone is not confusing as hell. Not sure where you get that idea. iOS is built upon standardization and ease of use. Apple exerts great control over everything that happens within the OS, specifically for the purpose of making it simple and intuitive. Which allows them to provide the same experience across all iOS devices. I'm not even an iPhone user either. I've owned Android phones for decades.
Yeah ive heard this speech before from every Apple user ever. Apple guys use that same "it's so intuitive" speech every time.

My wife certainly had a learning curve going from Android to Apple, and every time i grab her phone i struggle to navigate the OS.

Again, for an older man who's not tech savvy, stick to what you know. The Iphone shit is going to frustrate him.

He's not a new user with a blank pallet.

Once you learn it, i'm sure it's easy. If you don't want to re-learn how to navigate it, and you're not tech savvy stay away.
[Reply]
Fish 03:49 PM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by Donger:
If it's not an iPhone, why would I want it?
My last phones have been the Samsung Galaxy 3, 5, 8, and 21 models. They are very good smartphones. I appreciate a great deal of customization, which Android allows for. I run a lot of applications that are not allowed in any App Store. Only Android allows for side loading of unapproved apps. Lots of other reasons.

That said, for someone like Roy, I still think an iPhone would be a better solution. Apple is protective of the OS in ways that Android is definitely not. Android will allow you to install whatever you want even if it might be harmful to the device. Apple is more stupid proof. The current versions of both are relatively easy to navigate for basic functionality regardless of previous experience. I'd say iOS is probably easier to learn than Android though.
[Reply]
Donger 03:52 PM 05-11-2022
My last phones have been the Samsung Galaxy 3, 5, 8, and 21 models. They are very good smartphones. I appreciate a great deal of customization, which Android allows for. I run a lot of applications that are not allowed in any App Store. Only Android allows for side loading of unapproved apps. Lots of other reasons.

That said, for someone like Roy, I still think an iPhone would be a better solution. Apple is protective of the OS in ways that Android is definitely not. Android will allow you to install whatever you want even if it might be harmful to the device. Apple is more stupid proof. The current versions of both are relatively easy to navigate for basic functionality regardless of previous experience. I'd say iOS is probably easier to learn than Android though.
I was being facetious. Now, I feel badly...

NSFW language

[Reply]
ModSocks 03:53 PM 05-11-2022
The current versions of both are relatively easy to navigate for basic functionality regardless of previous experience. I'd say iOS is probably easier to learn than Android though.
Says the techy guy who's used a grip of phones for years and numerous operating systems.

What's easy for you is not going to be easy for Roy. If he's use to using old, shitty Androids and if he's not very tech literate, he's going to get annoyed by the Iphone.

Apple guys do this shit Allllllll the time.

Hell i still remember my HS teacher giving us this speech back in 2000.
[Reply]
Fish 03:58 PM 05-11-2022
Yeah ive heard this speech before from every Apple user ever. Apple guys use that same "it's so intuitive" speech every time.

My wife certainly had a learning curve going from Android to Apple, and every time i grab her phone i struggle to navigate the OS.

Again, for an older man who's not tech savvy, stick to what you know. The Iphone shit is going to frustrate him.

He's not a new user with a blank pallet.

Once you learn it, i'm sure it's easy. If you don't want to re-learn how to navigate it, and you're not tech savvy stay away.
If he's running a 10-12 year old Android phone currently, then he's going to have the same adjustment just going to a much newer version of Android. You are greatly exaggerating the difficulty of using modern smartphones. Maybe because you use a 6yr old phone that you admit to never using and not wanting to use. My job involves supporting educational professionals that use both for a wide range of professional use. For the overwhelming majority, iPhone is easier to learn and use.
[Reply]
Fish 03:58 PM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by Donger:
I was being facetious. Now, I feel badly...

NSFW language
You jerk, I can never tell.. :-)
[Reply]
Fish 04:02 PM 05-11-2022
Says the techy guy who's used a grip of phones for years and numerous operating systems.

What's easy for you is not going to be easy for Roy. If he's use to using old, shitty Androids and if he's not very tech literate, he's going to get annoyed by the Iphone.

Apple guys do this shit Allllllll the time.

Hell i still remember my HS teacher giving us this speech back in 2000.
I'm not even recommending what's easy for me. I personally prefer Android. I'm just not looking at it from one very rigid perspective. If he's using old shitty Android, then he's going to also get annoyed by new Android.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:07 PM 05-11-2022
My job involves supporting educational professionals that use both for a wide range of professional use.
Right, so it's easy to you because you're very well versed in it and by the sounds of it, have been for a very long time.

I'm trying to put myself in Roy's shoes.

When my wife made the transition from Android to Iphone, she hated the phone for the first month because she did in fact have to re-learn it. And she's not techy, so it didn't come easy to her. If you've been using Android, most things are still in the same place.

There is a learning curve, and the less techy you are the more annoyed you'll be with it.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:10 PM 05-11-2022
The thing about these older phones is you stop receiving updates and more importantly security updates. So, if you want to go with a cheap old phone that's fine but just know it's not as safe to use.
[Reply]
Stewie 09:40 PM 05-11-2022
Samsung something or other. It's a Tracfone with a big screen. Works great. Get all my calls and texts. Couldn't ask for more.
[Reply]
Fish 11:02 PM 05-11-2022
So, Roy... If you really want an ATT Android phone for cheap, I think this might be your best deal.

https://www.att.com/buy/phones/samsu...4gb-black.html

5000mAh battery
50MP camera
6.5" diagonal display size
64GB internal storage
microSD(up to 1TB) card slot for your tunes
5G+
Bluetooth 5
multi band wifi
Accelerometer, Barometer, E-compass, Fingerprint, Gyroscope, Proximity sensors
Android 11

$250 total to purchase outright

Not as good as the Galaxy line by any means. But it's a damn good deal for a decent Android phone that is at least new enough to run the latest OS.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:51 AM 05-12-2022
iOS is really only easy to use if that's where you started. If you've been using Android for years, iOS isn't intuitive. Things aren't where you are used to them being.

OP should get a Pixel 6, or perhaps a Pixel 5A, though the 6A is coming in July I think. Clean, easy to use interface.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up