ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 59 of 62
« First < 9495556575859 606162 >
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:10 AM 03-04-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Oh definitely. Dude can write and so amazingly prolific. Does any other writer today pump out as much volume while remaining high quality as him?
Probably a romance novel geek if you want to define 'good' as publishable and doesn't engender scorn from a majority of readers.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:31 AM 03-04-2022
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Probably a romance novel geek if you want to define 'good' as publishable and doesn't engender scorn from a majority of readers.
Good to see your takes here are as high quality as your posts everywhere else.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:51 AM 03-04-2022
Oh definitely. Dude can write and so amazingly prolific. Does any other writer today pump out as much volume while remaining high quality as him?
It wouldn't surprise me if there are other niche authors out there who pump out more volume, but I can't think of anyone that's in the same ballpark of popularity. I found this comparison on reddit that includes other related authors at least. Based on that, he should overtake Stephen King in total words written in the next 5-10 years.

[Reply]
Third Eye 09:59 AM 03-04-2022
Good to see your takes here are as high quality as your posts everywhere else.
I'm not a Sanderson fan, but this was funny regardless.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 12:14 PM 03-04-2022
Haha, poor Rothfuss. Book 3 better be amazing at this point.

I've been a big King fan for a long time, but it's been a while since he's put out truly great stuff. It's been pretty much mediocre work for 10+ years.
[Reply]
ijack 03:08 PM 05-08-2022
Sisters of Glass by DW St John (sci-fi) - absolutely recommend
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:50 PM 05-10-2022
Sanderson is amazing.

Even other writers will talk about what a freak he is. They're amazed at his prolific nature. Just a gift.

I love Patrick Rothfuss. Some of my favorite passages in fiction are from his desk (The opening scene setting that describes Kvothe at his bar, re: the parts of silence, is quite possibly the best opening chapter I've ever read).

I also feel for him. He hit a rut and just can't get out of it.

That's tough.

The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.

The most obvious part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a wind it would have sighed through the trees, set the inn’s sign creaking on its hooks, and brushed the silence down the road like trailing autumn leaves. If there had been a crowd, even a handful of men inside the inn, they would have filled the silence with conversation and laughter, the clatter and clamor one expects from a drinking house during the dark hours of the night. If there had been music…but no, of course there was no music. In fact there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.

Inside the Waystone a pair of men huddled at one corner of the bar. They drank with quiet determination, avoiding serious discussions of troubling news. In doing these they added a small, sullen silence to the lager, hollow one. It made an alloy of sorts, a counterpoint.

The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened for an hour, you might begin to feel it in the wooden floor underfoot and in the rough, splintering barrels behind the bar. It was in the weight of the black stone hearth that held the heat of a long-dead fire. It was in the slow back and forth of a white linen cloth rubbing along the grain of the bar. And it was in the hands of the man who stood there, polishing a stretch of mahogany that already gleamed in the lamplight.

The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty that comes from knowing many things.

The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn’s ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.

[Reply]
Loneiguana 01:05 PM 07-02-2022
Finished Erikson's new Malazan Book, the god is not willing.

https://steven-erikson.org/the-god-is-not-willing/

That was a damn good book.

If you have read any of the Malazan book of the fallen, you need to read this book. My god. Absolutely nails it.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:38 PM 07-02-2022
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:

If you have read any of the Malazan book of the fallen, you need to read this book. My god. Absolutely nails it.

I’m going to re-read once I finish Wheel of Time.

I really enjoyed it.

I think I
Spoiler!

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 03:46 PM 07-02-2022

Did you wait for the US release?

I wish Erickson was writing the next book in this trilogy next instead of the Kharkanos third book.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 04:15 PM 07-02-2022
Did you wait for the US release?

I wish Erickson was writing the next book in this trilogy next instead of the Kharkanos third book.
I honestly don't know. I assume so, since I got it about 2 weeks ago. Heard about it, went down to the local bookstore and asked if they could order it, they said yes, but in hardback. Asked if I wanted to wait for the softcover, I declined.

Glad I did. Amazing. How can I keep falling in love with his characters?

And yeah, I really want book 2 now.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 04:20 PM 07-02-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I’m going to re-read once I finish Wheel of Time.

I really enjoyed it.

I think I
Spoiler!
I just finished my last read through of the wheel of time! My perceptive on those books has really changed over the last 20 years. It was a really enjoyable re read. A more adult eye on things showed me a different side or the story I didn't pick up on in my teenage years.

And now I'm thinking of re reading Malazan (Ian C. Esslemont books included)

The end of unwilling God, with the consequences of what your wrote in the spoiler, was hard to read and wildly fascinating. Freaking malazan marines. They truly do give a shit.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 04:21 PM 07-02-2022
I honestly don't know. I assume so, since I got it about 2 weeks ago. Heard about it, went down to the local bookstore and asked if they could order it, they said yes, but in hardback. Asked if I wanted to wait for the softcover, I declined.

Glad I did. Amazing. How can I keep falling in love with his characters?

And yeah, I really want book 2 now.
Erickson is a master at his craft. I've read the OG 10 twice and given it a listen through. If you haven't listened to the first 10 books, I advise doing so. I picked up on several things I missed while reading.

BTW, www.bookdepository.com is where I always buy Erickson's books because they are released months ahead of when the US editions finally arrive.
[Reply]
Danguardace 12:23 AM 07-03-2022
Halfway through both of these both are great.

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:54 AM 07-03-2022
Isn't Skyward a YA novel?
[Reply]
Page 59 of 62
« First < 9495556575859 606162 >
Up