ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 274 of 324
« First < 174224264270271272273274 275276277278284 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:58 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
Depends if we continue to regress. Chiefs won the Superbowl in 2020, got beat badly in 2021, then got beat in the AFC Championship game by blowing a big lead where we should've won. This year is still a question mark, but it shows we haven't learned from our mistakes the last two weeks, once against a team that seemingly has our number, and the other that inexplicably we allowed to almost come back from 27 down and got outscored 28-7 in pretty much the second half of the game, which is something we usually do to the opponent, not vise versa.

Unfortunately with the success we've had the expectations are going to remain high, but if you lose in the divisional round, or worse the wildcard, and don't make it to the AFC Championship game this year, that's a small but important regression. I hope they make the AFC Championship game this year if not the Superbowl, but if they don't, you have to remove Spags to try and improve the defense next year. Since nobody wants to take Bieniemy you'll have to remove him too and promote Nagy in the offseason, which will get flak from some for the politics of it all, but you can't continue to allow that to be the reason if it's not working. Replacing Spags and Bieniemy won't happen given Reid's penchant for loyalty, but it should happen. If your coordinators are only good enough to get you to the same level every year, but not good enough to get promoted off your staff, then eventually you'll need to make that change.
But again, for as much as the defense frustrates me, how can uou possibly put our playoff losses on spags? It was the gazillion sacks and negative offense in Tampa. The defense more than held their own against Cincy. It was the offense that constantly put up three and outs in the second half. It's not like they just sucked. They were repeatedly put in really really bad spots by our offense
[Reply]
tredadda 09:00 AM 12-12-2022
I would say that Spags should be given one more season and allow Veach to address the Dline like he has other position groups. A lack of a consistent pass rush (outside Jones) would make any Defensive Coordinator look bad.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:05 AM 12-12-2022
Yeah, I mean it's all "FIRE SPAGS" but like...what would you do different?

don't blitz? Ok, well, you're going to get picked apart because we flat can't get there with 4.

Do blitz? Ok, well, you're risking a lot, with an extremely young secondary.

Play zone? Well, that was the first half against Cincinnati. Didn't look like that works too well against the elite QB's if you can't get to them with 4, they'll just wait for someone to find a hole in the zone.

Play man? Well, ok, but then Russell Wilson runs for 50 yards because your defenders are running with the receivers and have their backs to the line.

I mean, this is nuts. Lots of criticism, no answers.

We can't get to the QB with 4. All issues stem from that. It would make ANY defensive coordinator look bad.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:07 AM 12-12-2022
There's no part of me that would feel confident another DC would clearly get more out of our very young defense at this point.

I absolutely am not convinced that the grass is greener.

Give the guy more time with a group that's still growing.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:09 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Yeah, I mean it's all "FIRE SPAGS" but like...what would you do different?

don't blitz? Ok, well, you're going to get picked apart because we flat can't get there with 4.

Do blitz? Ok, well, you're risking a lot, with an extremely young secondary.

Play zone? Well, that was the first half against Cincinnati. Didn't look like that works too well against the elite QB's if you can't get to them with 4, they'll just wait for someone to find a hole in the zone.

Play man? Well, ok, but then Russell Wilson runs for 50 yards because your defenders are running with the receivers and have their backs to the line.

I mean, this is nuts. Lots of criticism, no answers.

We can't get to the QB with 4. All issues stem from that. It would make ANY defensive coordinator look bad.

Spags isn't going to reinvent himself again. If we are keeping him we need better pass-rush and an elite safety next year, otherwise just pick a guy that specializes in running shell coverages.
[Reply]
Molitoth 09:10 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Right? I swear some of these people are gluttons for punishment. Reid is the best HC this team has had since Stram.
Reid drives me absolutely nuts when he watches Pacheco successfully run for 7 yards per carry and then totally forgets that he exists, but I still wouldn't trade him for anyone else.

Players enjoy/respect playing for him, and that is huge.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:11 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Spags isn't going to reinvent himself again. If we are keeping him we need better pass-rush and an elite safety next year, otherwise just pick a guy that specializes in running shell coverages.
shell coverages with no pass rush will get you beat 50-0.

that shit works if you can get pressure with 4, PERIOD.

You guys that think there's some defensive scheme that solves everything regardless of talent are batshit.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:11 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by emaw1979:
Frankly, I’d love to see Reid walk into the sunset this off season and overhaul the coaching staff.
Terrible post, dude.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:11 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
There's no part of me that would feel confident another DC would clearly get more out of our very young defense at this point.

I absolutely am not convinced that the grass is greener.

Give the guy more time with a group that's still growing.
Very true and from reading some other posts, it appears yesterday looked far worse than it was. They do have to clean up some things though as they can’t afford to give up a big TD like they did to Mack or the busted coverage TD to Jeudy (I believe).
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:15 AM 12-12-2022

You guys that think there's some defensive scheme that solves everything regardless of talent are batshit.
I am talking about next year. And yes, they need more pass-rush which is why I wanted more than just Dunlap this year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:15 AM 12-12-2022
If Mahomes doesn't throw 3 picks, we're not even having this conversation.

People need to calm the fuck down.
[Reply]
-King- 09:16 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Very true and from reading some other posts, it appears yesterday looked far worse than it was. They do have to clean up some things though as they can’t afford to give up a big TD like they did to Mack or the busted coverage TD to Jeudy (I believe).
I mean we allowed a season high 28 points from the worst offense since the 2012 chiefs... And the game became a 1 score game when their QB engineered a 75 yard touchdown drive before getting knocked out of the game.

It was as bad as it appeared.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:16 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Specialize in shell coverage? Do you even know what shell coverages are?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:18 AM 12-12-2022
I'm sorry, I just have to say this about all this "shell coverage" "Fangio is a genius, we should run that scheme" shit.

That scheme is not new. It's old. It's as old as the forward fucking pass. It's not special. It's not some kind of cheat code.

IF and it's a big IF: you can successfully rush the passer with 4, then you can sit back in coverage with 7, taking away the big play and clog passing lanes.

If you CANNOT rush with 4, you will look very, very bad.

The reason it works against the Mahomes/Allen/Burrows of the league is because those defenses running it well can all get rush the passer with 4.

You want the defensive cheatcode? Have 4 pass rushers that can win one on ones consistently.

That's it. That's the whole fucking thing.

If you don't have that, then you have to live and die by the blitz, like Kansas City does.

It's that simple, and everything else is nonsense.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:18 AM 12-12-2022

Yes all day long. I would like to see any Defensive Coordinator that had any sort of success beyond a couple of games without a pass rush. Even average QBs can look great if they have all day to throw. Even the best look bad when they have no time to throw. Look at the Pats/Giants SB when the record setting and undefeated Patriots offense was stifled because they got a ton of pressure on Brady. Same with the record setting Broncos offense against the Seahawks.
[Reply]
Page 274 of 324
« First < 174224264270271272273274 275276277278284 > Last »
Up