ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 54 of 316
« First < 4445051525354 5556575864104154 > Last »
The Marty Lounge>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:14 PM 02-11-2021
They need a center, a RT, and help at guard. That doesn't even count all the other positions that need help, particularly on defense.

If they're going to be aggressive in free agency AND the draft, they have to settle the Fisher situation immediately.

There's no other way to spin it. If they sit on Fisher and wait, either their free agency plan or their draft is going to change.

Anybody that thinks they're going to spend big money on the offensive line AND draft offensive linemen in the first and second round is just kidding themselves. It's not going to happen.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:16 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I understand fully.

I'm just saying that extending him doesn't mean you can't move him and his contract in 2022 if you find he's extraneous. The realistic outcome is that he won't be extraneous even IF you spend a #2 on an OT in this draft. He MIGHT be. It would be the BEST CASE SCENARIO. A good problem to have. Jeez, we've got 3 really good OT's. Dang. As we saw this year though, it's likely that your 3rd tackle is going to play, and maybe play a lot.

And it's not like extending him means you can use his $15m to sign FA's. You're not going to have $15m. You're going to have a lot less than that regardless. No matter what. So yeah, we should totally extend him. All I'm saying it doesn't mean we're STUCK WITH HIM for like 3 years unless we WANT TO BE. Someone else in the NFL would be thrilled to have a healthy Eric Fisher at a second tier salary to make their SB run.

And the #2 pick that I'd like to spend is further insurance in case Niang doesn't work out; and really, that's probably like what, maybe 50/50? Realistically? Maybe he can't play RT in the NFL. Maybe he's a Guard. What does it hurt to hedge the bet?

It's a draft pick. We went to the SB with our 2nd round pick this year barely playing. Won it last year without our 2nd round pick in the play-offs and he wasn't right until the play-offs this year. This isn't a franchise breaking thing if it doesn't work out. But if it DOES, it could be a reason why we go to a 3rd straight SB.

And I still sign old man Peters just in case.
For sure, if it all works out the way you say, it's not a problem.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:17 PM 02-11-2021
The draft is a crap-shoot, but you still have to shoot.

We need an influx of young talent on the offensive line. The prime years of Patrick Mahomes are here. We need to take advantage.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:18 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They need a center, a RT, and help at guard. That doesn't even count all the other positions that need help, particularly on defense.

If they're going to be aggressive in free agency AND the draft, they have to settle the Fisher situation immediately.

There's no other way to spin it. If they sit on Fisher and wait, either their free agency plan or their draft is going to change.

Anybody that thinks they're going to spend big money on the offensive line AND draft offensive linemen in the first and second round is just kidding themselves. It's not going to happen.
I don't think there's ANY WAY we're aggressive in free agency. It will be bargain shopping only. I don't think there's any realistic scenario in which that's not the case. We have our big money guys in the house already.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:18 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
The draft is a crap-shoot, but you still have to shoot.

We need an influx of young talent on the offensive line. The prime years of Patrick Mahomes are here. We need to take advantage.
Of course. You draft a couple of guys, you sign a couple of guys.

For some, that's not going too be enough though.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:20 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Of course. You draft a couple of guys, you sign a couple of guys.

For some, that's not going too be enough though.
Well I think anyone who thinks we're going to go sign big money free agents is dreaming.

That's not going to happen.

It's bargain bin and the draft.

I'd love to be wrong.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:20 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I don't think there's ANY WAY we're aggressive in free agency. It will be bargain shopping only. I don't think there's any realistic scenario in which that's not the case. We have our big money guys in the house already.
I agree.

But a lot of people here don't want to hear that.
[Reply]
Superturtle 11:20 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Would you pay Linsley $11 million a year?
If Kelce isn't available then gladly.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:21 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Well I think anyone who thinks we're going to go sign big money free agents is dreaming.

That's not going to happen.

It's bargain bin and the draft.

I'd love to be wrong.
Trust me, if I'm wrong, I will gladly eat a healthy helping of crow.

I'd love to see them move on from Schwartz and Fisher, get a young stud LT, a new center, and all of that.

It's just not going to happen, though.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:24 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Trust me, if I'm wrong, I will gladly eat a healthy helping of crow.

I'd love to see them move on from Schwartz and Fisher, get a young stud LT, a new center, and all of that.

It's just not going to happen, though.
I think Schwartz is just done, I'll be surprised if not.

As for Fisher, I don't know that I want to move on really; it all depends. I just want to hedge the situation with a stop-gap and take a swing on a draft pick and hope that I have a difficult decision next February.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:25 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think Schwartz is just done, I'll be surprised if not.

As for Fisher, I don't know that I want to move on really; it all depends. I just want to hedge the situation with a stop-gap and take a swing on a draft pick and hope that I have a difficult decision next February.
My only hang up is that for me, a 1st round draft pick should be a day 1 starter.

If they take an OT in the 1st, he needs to start day 1. Niang moves inside.

If they draft a LT and he sits while they play Rankin to fill in for Fisher, that's going to suck ass.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:29 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Of course. You draft a couple of guys, you sign a couple of guys.

For some, that's not going too be enough though.
well you know, you draft a couple of guys, you sign a couple of guys, and that's 4 guys.

If you're like me and you feel like maybe Alegretti is the only guy that started the SB that is of starting quality AND you've got LDT coming back who is what, like average to above average starting quality...

And those 4 guys plus the two G's and you've completely rebuilt your line.

Anyway. Either Wylie is terrible and makes Reiter look bad, or Reiter is bad and makes Wylie look worse (or what I figure is they both suck) and we just flat need to be better in there.
[Reply]
Superturtle 11:29 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
My only hang up is that for me, a 1st round draft pick should be a day 1 starter.

If they take an OT in the 1st, he needs to start day 1. Niang moves inside.

If they draft a LT and he sits while they play Rankin to fill in for Fisher, that's going to suck ass.
Yes. That's what I've been advocating for. Trade up to draft a cornerstone T prospect and he starts at LT until/if Fisher is healthy then moves to RT while Niang moves inside. That's why I think signing Linsley is ideal as you've got the C and RG positions realistically locked down while the versatility of the new T and Niang lets you wait out Fishers return.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:32 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
well you know, you draft a couple of guys, you sign a couple of guys, and that's 4 guys.

If you're like me and you feel like maybe Alegretti is the only guy that started the SB that is of starting quality AND you've got LDT coming back who is what, like average to above average starting quality...

And those 4 guys plus the two G's and you've completely rebuilt your line.

Anyway. Either Wylie is terrible and makes Reiter look bad, or Reiter is bad and makes Wylie look worse (or what I figure is they both suck) and we just flat need to be better in there.
Well when I said you draft a couple of guys and sign a couple of guys, I'm talking about mostly depth guys. If they get one starter out of the draft and one out of FA, I'd be surprised.

I'd be willing to be that starting lineup next year to start the season is:

Stopgap LT, possibly already on team / Allegretti / New C / LDT / Niang.

And honestly, is that REALLY that much better than what they started this season with? I don't think it is.

It certainly has potential at RT but the real upgrade would be returning to Fisher at LT sometime during the season.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:34 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Yes. That's what I've been advocating for. Trade up to draft a cornerstone T prospect and he starts at LT until/if Fisher is healthy then moves to RT while Niang moves inside. That's why I think signing Linsley is ideal as you've got the C and RG positions realistically locked down while the versatility of the new T and Niang lets you wait out Fishers return.
They're not trading up in the 1st to take a tackle AND signing a center for $10M plus per year.

If they trade picks to get a tackle in the first, you're looking at signing some scrub at center. The most realistic place to get a new center is in the draft and they need draft picks to do that.

And Fisher is not moving to RT. That's never going to happen.
[Reply]
Page 54 of 316
« First < 4445051525354 5556575864104154 > Last »
Up