ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 7
« First < 34567
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>How did Skyy Moore fall to us?
Direckshun 08:13 AM 05-24-2022
Largely size concerns, it seems:

Originally Posted by :
The 2022 NFL Draft was another strong year for wide receiver talent, and many assumed that a run on wide receivers would happen in the first round. That panned out with the Falcons taking Drake London at No. 8 and three other receivers were taken over the next four picks. The levee breaking on wideouts led to Jahan Dotson ending up as the 16th pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, and some analysts thought Western Michigan's Skyy Moore would go late in the first round thanks to the run on receivers.

Moore was superb throughout 2021, hauling in 95 passes for 1,292 yards and 10 touchdowns. The junior also worked out well before the 2022 NFL Draft. Hence, there were some projecting him to the opening night of the draft, so some were surprised when he slid to late in the second round.

NFL team sources actually had Moore graded lower than the media hype. Some teams had him graded in the second round and others had him in Round 3. They saw some limitations with his size and thought Moore (5-10, 196) could have problems with longer cornerbacks as a pro. Thus, teams did not see a real slide with Moore.

The Kansas City Chiefs ended Moore's slide, and they are a mixed landing spot for him. On the plus side, Moore landed with an elite quarterback in Pat Mahomes and a great coaching staff led by future Hall of Fame Andy Reid. On the negative side, Moore is in a crowded depth chart, as the Chiefs have established veterans like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Mecole Hardman and Josh Gordon. Due to the a second-round pick investment in him, Moore is assured of making the roster, but he could have a hard time breaking out in an offense that spreads the ball around and features tight end Travis Kelce. Moore will have to earn his playing time, but if he can break through to a starting job, he could turn into a very productive pro operating with Mahomes and Reid.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:36 PM 11-15-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Interesting that Chenal and Pacheco struggled at first but now look much better. Almost like playing time helped them develop and Moore could do the same.

What a concept!
Leo Chenal: 140 snaps on defense.

Isiah Pacheco: 131 snaps on offense.

Skyy Moore: 146 snaps on offense.

Next excuse, brah.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 03:51 PM 11-15-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Next excuse, brah.
Also, Chenal was picked at the end of the 3rd and Pacheco in the 7th. Moore being on anything close to a similar development timeline to them makes the pick that much more questionable.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:26 PM 11-15-2022

Next excuse, brah.
I'm not doing this project but if you want to make an argument that he sucks (or doesn't), perhaps you (someone, anyone) need to look deeper. I simply don't have the kind of time it would take...

He has 14 targets on those 146 snaps. Why such a low percentage of targets?

Is he actually getting open, and if so then is Mahomes not looking his way? Not like Mahomes hasn't done it before.
Is he getting snaps more often when KC runs the football, further limiting his opportunities?
Or, is he simply not getting open?

I can't say I've looked specifically for him when just casually watching the games because it really doesn't matter to me if he pops off this year or not.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:53 PM 11-15-2022
I just have a very hard time saying that the 13th WR drafted should've been one of the first 60 players selected. Do you truly think the WR pool was THAT good?

Or is it more likely that the insanity of the WR market in FA led to teams reaching on WRs to avoid having to pay them as free agents?

And again, the whole "Reid doesn't play guys that don't know the playbook" argument has been beaten to death at this point and frankly, I think it was largely dispelled BEFORE Toney was getting significant snaps with a week on the roster.

After? Man, that argument is simply dead in the water. It was hanging by a very think thread 3 weeks ago - that thread has been cut. If you can play, Andy will play you. And Mahomes will throw to you.

I also don't think he was drafted to replace Hardman - they're simply not similar players. There's no way Moore, who's skill set and experience demonstrates that he's a short area slant/curl player, should be taking the drag, dig, post and corner routes that Hardman is running.
There's certainly been an uptick in the last 3 drafts.
2020 NFL draft: 13 WRs drafted in the top 60.
2021 NFL draft: 10 WRs drafted in the top 60.
2022 NFL draft: 13 WRs drafted in the top 60.

I'd say yeah, it's probably a thing.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:07 PM 12-06-2022
Wasn't sure where to put this:

Mike Tomlin said they're working on the "appropriate, mature, professional" behavior regarding George Pickens' expletive outburst in Atlanta. But he added "We want that (competitive) guy. This is professional football. I'm not going to make that a negative."

— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) December 6, 2022

Dude was mad that he wasn't getting the ball even though his team was winning (and won).

Great talent, but clearly a headcase as well.
[Reply]
ModSocks 07:23 PM 12-06-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:

Dude was mad that he wasn't getting the ball even though his team was winning (and won).

He has maturing to do, but he is ultra competitive and as Tomlin stated, you want those kinda guys. It's a matter of channeling it properly.

None of this is a surprise to me, hell, before the draft i predicted he'd get ejected from a game this year. Like Tomlin said, not gonna make it a negative.
[Reply]
ModSocks 07:25 PM 12-06-2022
Originally Posted by :
“I want a guy that wants to be a significant part of what it is that we do. Now, the appropriate and professional and mature way to express that, we’re growing and working on, and we will continue to. But that spirit, that competitive spirit, the guy that wants the ball. I want that guy.”
I agree, Mike.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:27 PM 12-06-2022
I've seen enough to feel like Skyy is going to be just fine. A plus receiver. An asset to the team.

Will he be a #1 type guy? Ehh...I don't know. But I can definitely see a real solid #2 without even squinting.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:24 AM 12-07-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:

Somewhere on here I (half-jokingly) said I looked forward to Pickens balling out then flaming out after going nuts about a lack of targets, while Moore quietly had a less explosive but more productive career. Like I said, half-jokingly buuuut...
[Reply]
Shoes 04:46 PM 12-07-2022
I mean you could of made the argument early in Kelce's career that he was a bit of a headcase too with his on-field antics. If you watch what Pickens did, it's clearly a non-issue and I think that Tomlin is handling it correctly. Lord knows he has dealt with many diva receivers and he should just write the handbook on how to deal with them.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 7
« First < 34567
Up