ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 129 of 133
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133 >
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!


Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!


Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!



I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:49 AM 11-26-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Been questioning watching this. You just sold me. Will be watching it as soon as we finish Vikings.
Lord of the Flies meets Mean Girls. It’s good.
[Reply]
Holladay 07:35 PM 11-26-2022
Wednesday is surprisingly good. I was never a fan of the Addams Family. I was more Dark Shadows and Munsters fan. So I really didn't get some of the sub plots at first.

Seems Jenna Ortega nails the role. The Thing steals a lot of the show.

It is a little campy type kids school genre similar to Hogwarts themes.

The cinematography great, down to the makeup. It is directed by Tim Burton, which illustrates some of the tenor and the humor sublime.

Worth a watch...
[Reply]
Holladay 07:38 PM 11-26-2022
I was doing a little research on the Thing and found this. I didn't realize The Addams Family" was a cartoon series in the New Yorker in the '30's.

Hum...

Originally Posted by :
How is Thing related to The Addams Family?
Image result for Addams family thing
Thing was the creation of Charles Addams, who drew the Addams Family cartoons in The New Yorker magazine, beginning in the 1930s. He first appeared in Addams's 1954 book Homebodies. One Addams cartoon shows the Addams mansion with a sign at the front saying "Beware of the Thing".

[Reply]
kevrunner 04:05 PM 11-27-2022
Originally Posted by Iconic:
No idea if its ever been discussed in this part of the forum or not but Yellowjackets first season was shockingly good.

You'd think it's just some weird teen drama given the nature of the plot but it's so much better and far more sinister. Binged the entire show in about one night and excited as ever living **** for S2. Definitely check it out if you're bored and got the time.
I binged it after your recommendation, couldn’t stop watching after I started, Christina Ricci’s character is pretty insane, she’s great.
[Reply]
Iconic 04:34 PM 11-27-2022
Originally Posted by kevrunner:
I binged it after your recommendation, couldn’t stop watching after I started, Christina Ricci’s character is pretty insane, she’s great.
Yep absolutely bat shit, and maybe I just have some weird affinity for crazy chicks but god damn did I find her smoking hot throughout the entire show.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:37 PM 11-30-2022
I’m really enjoying 1899.
[Reply]
unlurking 07:16 AM 12-01-2022
The English. Totally not what I was expecting from a Western.



[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:42 AM 12-01-2022
Has Fleischman is in Trouble just stayed off everyone's radar, or is it actively repellant to others? I know it's not groundbreaking, but it is fascinating to my mind. It's up my alley as one of those shows where everyone's an utter asshole AND incomprehensible saint in turn, where they parcel out the nuances and details that make up people in an intricate and engrossing manner. I know the writing that originated it made a big splash, but it doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it as a series. Maybe people are exhausted with the notion of navel-gazing and meditating on the human condition in this manner. But I still find it one of the more fascinating shows of the year.

Somewhere between Woody Allen and This is Us.


[Reply]
Buehler445 05:08 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Has Fleischman is in Trouble just stayed off everyone's radar, or is it actively repellant to others? I know it's not groundbreaking, but it is fascinating to my mind. It's up my alley as one of those shows where everyone's an utter asshole AND incomprehensible saint in turn, where they parcel out the nuances and details that make up people in an intricate and engrossing manner. I know the writing that originated it made a big splash, but it doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it as a series. Maybe people are exhausted with the notion of navel-gazing and meditating on the human condition in this manner. But I still find it one of the more fascinating shows of the year.

Somewhere between Woody Allen and This is Us.

I saw the Presige TV podcast had an episode on it and was thinking about giving it a look. I think I'll check it out.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:05 PM 12-01-2022
Started The Watcher, last night. First episode was at least interesting to see where it's going. Last night I even dreamed about buying an old house. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:51 PM 12-03-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Has Fleischman is in Trouble just stayed off everyone's radar, or is it actively repellant to others? I know it's not groundbreaking, but it is fascinating to my mind. It's up my alley as one of those shows where everyone's an utter asshole AND incomprehensible saint in turn, where they parcel out the nuances and details that make up people in an intricate and engrossing manner. I know the writing that originated it made a big splash, but it doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it as a series. Maybe people are exhausted with the notion of navel-gazing and meditating on the human condition in this manner. But I still find it one of the more fascinating shows of the year.

Somewhere between Woody Allen and This is Us.

Yeah, so I should have waited until this was finished before I started it. I'm not sure I can wait a month to finish it out. I also didn't know it was based on a novel.

I don't know how I'm going to feel about the conclusion of the show, but the interim is damned enthralling.

It is an interesting choice that the Libby character is the narrator for the story. The writing is pretty tight, and there is some facepalmy stuff when Eisenberg gets preachy. I don't know if that was the intention or not. Bot some of it is pretty tight like the comment about "I make 300K that would be a great living anywhere except the 40 blocks you insist we live." Most of the dialogue is really tight.

The 90's stuff is cheeky enough to be funny and keep it light. Eisenberg does a really REALLY good job on the performance. Same with Lizzy Caplan and Claire Danes, plus a TED sighting. It wound me up enough I restarted Homeland to get some more Claire Danes Action. She was really good. Damned compelling even.

Anyway, it's a nice look at the nuance of humanity.
[Reply]
A Salt Weapon 12:58 AM 12-04-2022
Just binged watched the entire season of the peripheral, holy crap. Hell of a show.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:36 AM 12-04-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah, so I should have waited until this was finished before I started it. I'm not sure I can wait a month to finish it out. I also didn't know it was based on a novel.

I don't know how I'm going to feel about the conclusion of the show, but the interim is damned enthralling.

It is an interesting choice that the Libby character is the narrator for the story. The writing is pretty tight, and there is some facepalmy stuff when Eisenberg gets preachy. I don't know if that was the intention or not. Bot some of it is pretty tight like the comment about "I make 300K that would be a great living anywhere except the 40 blocks you insist we live." Most of the dialogue is really tight.

The 90's stuff is cheeky enough to be funny and keep it light. Eisenberg does a really REALLY good job on the performance. Same with Lizzy Caplan and Claire Danes, plus a TED sighting. It wound me up enough I restarted Homeland to get some more Claire Danes Action. She was really good. Damned compelling even.

Anyway, it's a nice look at the nuance of humanity.
A couple things that are 'known' but are future events in the airing of the episodes so I'll spoiler.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 10:17 AM 12-05-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Has Fleischman is in Trouble just stayed off everyone's radar, or is it actively repellant to others? I know it's not groundbreaking, but it is fascinating to my mind. It's up my alley as one of those shows where everyone's an utter asshole AND incomprehensible saint in turn, where they parcel out the nuances and details that make up people in an intricate and engrossing manner. I know the writing that originated it made a big splash, but it doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it as a series. Maybe people are exhausted with the notion of navel-gazing and meditating on the human condition in this manner. But I still find it one of the more fascinating shows of the year.

Somewhere between Woody Allen and This is Us.

I will check that out.
[Reply]
Holladay 10:33 AM 12-05-2022
1899: rate at a 7

Just finished it. No spoilers and there are a few twists. For me it was hard to follow. There too many wrinkles. If you are watching an episode and wanting it to end, doesn't bode well.

They are the same people who made Dark. I haven't watched it yet. But is has rave reviews.

I don't think it is my style of movie.
[Reply]
Page 129 of 133
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133 >
Up