ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 212 of 382
« First < 112162202208209210211212 213214215216222262312 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:22 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Shag:
Why are you sitting on the Hopslam? Drink that shit fresh.

I've had it on tap a couple times this year - tasty, as always.
Was only able to get a six pack this year, wanted to save it for better weather/special occasion/whatever.

I'm usually able to get a case so I'm not real picky about it.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:28 PM 03-06-2016
Had Hopslam over the Super Bowl and I agree that it's probably best fresh.

Enjoying a Todd the Axeman for the Hawks game this afternoon.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:42 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Damn. I didn't get my hands on any until 2/18.
[Reply]
Shag 05:45 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Todd is such a fantastic beer. Hard to get, even here in MN.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:11 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Shag:
Todd is such a fantastic beer. Hard to get, even here in MN.
I grabbed the last 4 pack at my shop on Friday. I read they upped production this year similar to Abrasive. Abrasive was around Chicago for a couple months so I'm hoping for the same with Todd.
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:14 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58:
Was only able to get a six pack this year, wanted to save it for better weather/special occasion/whatever.

I'm usually able to get a case so I'm not real picky about it.
Don't sit on it, especially if you only have a 6 pack, its gets worse with age. IPA's should be had early in their life, within 120 days and thats a stretch.
[Reply]
Saccopoo 08:18 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Don't sit on it, especially if you only have a 6 pack, its gets worse with age. IPA's should be had early in their life, within 120 days and thats a stretch.
Just curious, but wasn't the additional hops used to create IPA's put in as a preservative?

Shouldn't they actually last longer than other beers?
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:33 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Saccopoo:
Just curious, but wasn't the additional hops used to create IPA's put in as a preservative?

Yes, the reason why it was called India Pale Ale is because the British were shipping it to India in the days before the Suez.
[Reply]
phisherman 09:04 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Saccopoo:

I don't think anyone is saying that Hopslam won't "last" as long as other beers. What we're saying is that the flavor of a fresh IPA is leaps and bounds above the flavor of an old, stale IPA.

Over time (and due to light exposure), the alpha acids in IPAs break down and you're left with a beer that's much more malty and sweet, with no bitterness or hoppiness to balance out the malty sweetness. That's not to say it's no good or that you can't drink it, but the beer just isn't as good.

As a fun flavor experiment (and due to a friend having a ton of old hoppy beer), we have tried verticals of Hopslam back to the mid 2000s. They're surprisingly tasty still, though there is zero hop presence; they all kind of taste like an orange peel American strong ale or barleywine. We have fooled a few people with this description, but only after they gave a visible look of disgust when we asked if they wanted to try an old bottle of Hopslam.

With all IPAs, fresher is better.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:18 AM 03-07-2016
Phish nailed it, its why most of Stone's big IPA's are called Enjoy By XXXX.

The bigger the IPA, the more hops, so the faster the slide.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:49 AM 03-07-2016
I'd like to recognize 18th Street Brewery in Hammond/Gary, IN for their fantastic beers and unique taproom experience. I was driving back from a Michigan work trip last week and stopped in the Hammond, IN location to wait out the rush hour. Kind of felt like I was in the movie Judgement Night. Most metal brewery I've been to.

[Reply]
phisherman 09:52 AM 03-07-2016
I just had a beer from 18th Street Brewery on Friday, Imperial Blud. It was awesome!
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:17 AM 03-07-2016
Originally Posted by phisherman:
I just had a beer from 18th Street Brewery on Friday, Imperial Blud. It was awesome!
There's a lot of 18th St hype around here so I decided to check them out. I had a full pour of Galaxy Slayer which I thought was outstanding and a small pour of a bretted IPA fermented in wine barrels, which I'm still trying to process. I also had a barrel aged famerhouse from their Sour Note side project, which again was outstanding. Had I not been driving and worried about the hubcaps on my rental, I would've stayed longer. I did grab some stuff to-go.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:21 PM 03-07-2016
Well, fuck special occasions. Decided to crack the Hopslam.

Excellent as always.
[Reply]
kstater 07:31 PM 03-07-2016
Im in Wichita on a business trip, River City Brewing Co. Has a pretty good Red Ale
[Reply]
Page 212 of 382
« First < 112162202208209210211212 213214215216222262312 > Last »
Up