ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 95 of 324
« First < 45859192939495 96979899105145195 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
htismaqe 09:05 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Yet, you defended Sutton early in the season and placed most of the blame on a lack of talent. Now you are open to getting rid of two of arguably the #2 and #3 most important defensive players.
They do lack talent. They also lack discipline and football sense, and that includes Dee Ford.

As for "getting rid of them" you misunderstand.

I don't freaking care. If they can get picks out of Ford, fine with me. If they can get a pay cut out of Houston, even better. I care about Patrick Mahomes and doing whatever it takes to surround the kid with better units.

This defense needs GUTTED. NOBODY is irreplaceable when a unit is this bad. Sorry.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:14 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I kind of feel like the draft is where they'll address CB. It's a deep draft and I think DB's that in other years would be #1's are going to be there in the late 2nd round. They might look for a second tier guy or a guy they see as undervalued. But I doubt it'll be a big splash name.
Yep, every talking head is saying its a deep defensive draft. We should get a good NFL corner in those first 3 picks. A DL too.

I have no faith Eric Berry will come back and contribute in any significant way. I think spending the money for Thomas to help lead the defense is a good option.
[Reply]
Oxford 09:20 AM 01-29-2019
Since the NFL only plays a base defense about 35% of the time, 4-3/3-4 is important only in what it allows you to do on 2nd/3rd down. I think the Chiefs know what players likely fit the base defense, but the question is if a player is a sub package player, can you get the amount of value out of what you have to pay him? Veach is building the club with an eye on the cap and I think will draft best defensive talent available. I would not be surprised at all if we trade down from our one based on player value and team needs. So I bet we tag Ford and look for 4-3 players in the draft or on the street. If someone wants Ford at an advantageous deal then let him go.
[Reply]
tmax63 09:24 AM 01-29-2019
According to the post by Thigpen over on AP, he thinks there at least 1/2 dozen safeties and CBs in this years draft class that are better than what's on the Chiefs roster with the exception of EB.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:25 AM 01-29-2019
Chadia is on 810 making good points

Spags defense is easy to learn and play fast
Plays younger players a lot
Likes smaller players
Ford has tons of trade value but Spags likes his kind of player
All the players fit his scheme
Sutton held talent back especially young guys
Will move DL guys around for matchups
Jones will explode
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:27 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Chadia is on 810 making good points

Spags defense is easy to learn and play fast
Plays younger players a lot
Likes smaller players
Ford has tons of trade value but Spags likes his kind of player
All the players fit his scheme
Sutton held talent back especially young guys
Will move DL guys around for matchups
Jones will explode
I just hope they don't try to sign Ford. He'll end up missing all of next season with a back injury or something. Tag him and see what he can do.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:30 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I just hope they don't try to sign Ford. He'll end up missing all of next season with a back injury or something. Tag him and see what he can do.
Totally agree. Tag him and if his back problems are gone, pay him next offseason. The longer he goes without back problems, the more his core strength will improve as will his run defense.
[Reply]
O.city 09:41 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Totally agree. Tag him and if his back problems are gone, pay him next offseason. The longer he goes without back problems, the more his core strength will improve as will his run defense.
If you're going to sign him to a deal, do it this offseason. If you tag him, do it for a year and let him walk. Why wait till he's one year older to get a deal done? That's an extra year on the back end when he's body starts breaking down.

You wouldn't get any value that way either.

Tag him, trade him or play him a year and let him walk.
[Reply]
O.city 09:54 AM 01-29-2019
Also, looking at the Cowboys stuff as we were yesterday, their whole defensive back field are free agents next year. They may make a run at Thomas, but if they do they're gonna end up letting some corners walk.

That's a place the Chiefs could look to do some trading potentiall.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:04 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
I'd prefer to trade Ford for a 2nd and flip that for Bouye.

Draft Devin Bush with our first round pick.

Fuller, Amos, Lucas, Bouye

Bush, Hitchens, DOD

Houston, Jones, Nnadi, Speaks

That's not a bad defense.
Missed someone in that lineup.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:06 AM 01-29-2019
I am giving Tanoh and Speaks a completely clean slate. They were never meant to be 3-4 OLB’s.

These guys have been playing in a 4-3 for years. Let’s see what they can do in a position that actually gives them a fair chance.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:27 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by tmax63:
According to the post by Thigpen over on AP, he thinks there at least 1/2 dozen safeties and CBs in this years draft class that are better than what's on the Chiefs roster with the exception of EB.
Half dozen? So 6.

6 CBs are frequently gone by the early 2nd round. Oftentimes 6 safeties are gone by the end of the 2nd round.

He's saying 1st and 2nd round rookie talent is better than all the random middle round turds, AIDS-riddled vets, and wheelchair-bound homeless dudes with low spirit?

Whaaaa? Say it ain't so!
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:33 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
If you're going to sign him to a deal, do it this offseason. If you tag him, do it for a year and let him walk. Why wait till he's one year older to get a deal done? That's an extra year on the back end when he's body starts breaking down.

You wouldn't get any value that way either.

Tag him, trade him or play him a year and let him walk.
This.

DJLN has mentioned it countless times but you end up fucking yourself by tagging a player and then signing him to a deal a year later because you're increasing the average cost per season that he's going to start at.
[Reply]
O.city 10:36 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
This.

DJLN has mentioned it countless times but you end up ****ing yourself by tagging a player and then signing him to a deal a year later because you're increasing the average cost per season that he's going to start at.
Yep.

The contract number would start with "whats the tag number for the first 2 years, start with that as the guaranteed money".

You can possibly build in some value with a long term deal. Once you tag them once, that's gone.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 10:36 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They do lack talent. They also lack discipline and football sense, and that includes Dee Ford.

As for "getting rid of them" you misunderstand.

I don't freaking care. If they can get picks out of Ford, fine with me. If they can get a pay cut out of Houston, even better. I care about Patrick Mahomes and doing whatever it takes to surround the kid with better units.

This defense needs GUTTED. NOBODY is irreplaceable when a unit is this bad. Sorry.
exactly this, people need to stop making players a personal relationship. it is a business and this unit failed this year.
[Reply]
Page 95 of 324
« First < 45859192939495 96979899105145195 > Last »
Up