ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Shogun on FX
GloucesterChief 07:18 PM 11-06-2023

Looks pretty good.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 09:31 AM 03-05-2024
I like what theyve done so far. Shannon Goss has done well rewriting Shogun for TV. The original Shogun mini series didn't mention the Taiko. the suit of armor shown in episode 2 is historically accurate to Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the Taiko.

The taiko was a peasant from birth but became a general under Oda. Oda was the most aggressive and successful samurai clan. when Oda Nobunaga died, Hideyoshi continued to consolidate power by conquering provincial rulers. Once he had unified Japan he started a campaign to capture Korea. the campaign lasted too long for Hideyoshi to finish. the Taiko could never be SHogun because of his caste. but he married into a samurai family and thus his heir would be eligible. Ishido and Toronaga (Ishida and Tokugawa) both need to muster entire armies for a war that needs to conclude before the Taikos hier becomes an adult.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 09:36 AM 03-05-2024

I'm so glad they rewrote this piece of shit scene
[Reply]
alanm 12:25 PM 03-06-2024
I generally liked the 1980 mini series. But this one is sooooo much better.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:27 PM 03-06-2024
This has been excellent.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 01:47 PM 03-06-2024
I don't think they were filming on location. The main audience chamber looks like a room from Nijo Jyo palace. Of course they used modern day Osaka castle and edited out the fence from the very top.

[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:20 PM 03-06-2024
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
I don't think they were filming on location. The main audience chamber looks like a room from Nijo Jyo palace. Of course they used modern day Osaka castle and edited out the fence from the very top.

They filmed in Vancouver.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:25 PM 03-06-2024
FX has an absolute banger on their hands with this one.

This show looks like it would be on HBO.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:51 PM 03-06-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
FX has an absolute banger on their hands with this one.

This show looks like it would be on HBO.
I expect it will do huge numbers for Disney as people catch on to how good this show is.

Will be interested to see if they try to carry it on into a second season because of that (although it would have to be without the source material and we've seen how badly shows can drop off without the source material to fall back on).
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:07 PM 03-06-2024
I'm through episode 3 and I'm all in. I think there is still room for falling on it's face, because we're still pulling on the mystery of it all, but it's got it's hooks into me.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 06:44 PM 03-06-2024
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I expect it will do huge numbers for Disney as people catch on to how good this show is.

Will be interested to see if they try to carry it on into a second season because of that (although it would have to be without the source material and we've seen how badly shows can drop off without the source material to fall back on).
Shogun is a huge book. 2 seasons is possible. but I think this new series is keeping pace with the old mini-series. we will probably end up with 12 episodes in 1 season.

if they wanted to continue making these, they could make a sequel of the Gai-jin novel.
[Reply]
Enid Borden 07:08 PM 03-06-2024
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
I remember watching the original mini-series in 1980. it was re-aired in '90 IIRC. I then went and got the book and finished it in 2 weeks. that was my first novel that I read that wasn't from the kids/YA section.

Cosmo Jarvis is playing Blackthorne. he looks like a landlubber.
Never saw the series but I recall advertisements for it. Read the novel two or three times years ago. Hopefully this new series does it justice. I'd like to see it but don't have FX. I guess I'll have to watch Dead Pool on Max.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:55 PM 03-11-2024
Originally Posted by Enid Borden:
Never saw the series but I recall advertisements for it. Read the novel two or three times years ago. Hopefully this new series does it justice. I'd like to see it but don't have FX. I guess I'll have to watch Dead Pool on Max.
Don't have Hulu?
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:09 PM 03-12-2024
Tonight's episode was fire
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:09 PM 03-12-2024
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
Shogun is a huge book. 2 seasons is possible. but I think this new series is keeping pace with the old mini-series. we will probably end up with 12 episodes in 1 season.

if they wanted to continue making these, they could make a sequel of the Gai-jin novel.
No, it's one season.

However they bought the rights to the Asian Saga so I'd expect Tai-Pan next.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:43 AM 03-13-2024
That was quite bloody for cable tv.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up