ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs defensive discussion
O.city 08:17 AM 09-16-2021
So I understand the Browns are probably the best run team in the league. Do a great job scheme wise, have talent etc.

But why do the Chiefs struggle so much vs the run?

It's been years now. Whats the deal?
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:38 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Wow Joshua Kaindoh actually got quite a bit more snaps than I thought he did. He was in on 12 snaps or 20% of the defensive snaps this game. On Chubb's long TD run, he doesn't notice the O lineman pulling and he is easily neutralized with no one else there to stop Chubb. Frank Clark being more experienced doesn't let that happen and either makes the tackle or forces Chubb back inside.

Not having our best/2nd best defender in Mathieu, our fastest and what we are hoping is our best LB Gay, and missing Clark was a huge reason why our run D was lacking. Hell having just one of those guys probably makes a substantial difference.
I was happy Kaindoh got some snaps, and I think he's going to have some juice as a rotational guy here before long.

But it was not this day.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:46 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
The most encouraging thing I saw from the Cleveland game was that Cleveland should have been able to gash us in the second half. They couldn’t.

They had a big lead with only a half left to play. That should play right into their strengths.

Yet still, our defense clamped down and we were much better.

Had we had a big lead at half, then I wouldn’t take much away from our defense being better in the second half. Cleveland isn’t built to come back. They’re built to build a lead and strangle the life out of you with their running game. It didn’t work
Yup.
[Reply]
TEX 12:54 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
So I understand the Browns are probably the best run team in the league. Do a great job scheme wise, have talent etc.

But why do the Chiefs struggle so much vs the run?

It's been years now. Whats the deal?
LB'ers
[Reply]
TEX 01:00 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Wow Joshua Kaindoh actually got quite a bit more snaps than I thought he did. He was in on 12 snaps or 20% of the defensive snaps this game. On Chubb's long TD run, he doesn't notice the O lineman pulling and he is easily neutralized with no one else there to stop Chubb. Frank Clark being more experienced doesn't let that happen and either makes the tackle or forces Chubb back inside.

Not having our best/2nd best defender in Mathieu, our fastest and what we are hoping is our best LB Gay, and missing Clark was a huge reason why our run D was lacking. Hell having just one of those guys probably makes a substantial difference.
On Chubb's TD run, Kaindoh made a bee line to his left and away from the play. He neutralized himself immediately. It was like he was looking inside for someone to hit. Was not even concerned with setting the edge. That's a coachable deal. But man he really fucked up on that play.:-)
[Reply]
Bowser 01:19 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I was watching clips last night and came away with the conclusion that this defense really missed Frank Clark.

The Browns ran at Clark's side repeatedly. Seemingly several of their big runs came off that side. They attacked that side all damn day in the run game.
That touchdown run by Chubb to the defensive right was an offense to defense in general. A high school kid could have scored on that play from 25 yards out.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:57 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Btw KC Lab on KCSN is the best podcast for really breaking down the Xs and Os. They went into depth on the defensive struggles against the run.

I had high hopes or the Jeff Allen / Mike DeVito podcast in this regard. Imagine what those guys could tell us about proper D-line and O-line play. But it looks like as former players they're never going to say a bad word about other players. Booo.
Mike and Jeff were sucking off Justin Houston on this weeks episode.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:00 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by TEX:
On Chubb's TD run, Kaindoh made a bee line to his left and away from the play. He neutralized himself immediately. It was like he was looking inside for someone to hit. Was not even concerned with setting the edge. That's a coachable deal. But man he really ****ed up on that play.:-)
A super raw rookie playing like a super raw rookie. He's got the talent to be a guy if this coaching staff and polish him up a little.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:24 PM 09-16-2021
I'd look to bring Taco back, to be honest. Unless there were some attitude issues we're unaware of.

He's got the length and strength we need on the edge in the run game. We just do not have another backup DE who isn't a strictly situational guy like Danna and maybe Wharton.

I don't see a 1st and 2nd down DE on this roster. Okafor, I guess, but he doesn't have much of an anchor. Kaindoh isn't ready and Danna is better used as a 3rd down motor guy with Jones bouncing inside.

Even with Clark active I think Charlton can contribute. Without Clark I'd probably sign him to start. I understood it when it looked like Ward had taken his job but without Ward I just don't understand what their plan is there.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:26 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by TEX:
On Chubb's TD run, Kaindoh made a bee line to his left and away from the play. He neutralized himself immediately. It was like he was looking inside for someone to hit. Was not even concerned with setting the edge. That's a coachable deal. But man he really fucked up on that play.:-)
He was overly concerned with setting the edge, IMO. He saw the LT down-block, thought he had a chance to blow him up and close the edge off, and didn't see the pulling guard coming from the right who just took him right out of the play.

I think he understood his assignment and tried to manage it - he just didn't have the experience or awareness to get it done.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 02:28 PM 09-16-2021
You are really going to cry when the Ravens rack up a bunch of rushing yards.....and lose
[Reply]
MatriculatingHank 02:29 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
. As frustrating as it is for us fans, when's the last time a run first team beat us?
Tennessee in 2019. I sat there in Nashville and watched it unfold...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:38 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by MatriculatingHank:
Tennessee in 2019. I sat there in Nashville and watched it unfold...
It took a bunch of unforced errors on offense and a bizarre couple of special teams mistakes for that to happen.

"The Blueprint" is bullshit.

You do NOT beat the Chiefs by running the football, controlling the clock and making them throw underneath. You just lose more slowly.

But from a situational standpoint it would be nice if the Chiefs had another couple of guys they could count on in clear running situations to firm that area up when needed.
[Reply]
Rasputin 02:44 PM 09-16-2021
We handled I mean man handled Ol Henry when he was supposed to run all over us in the playoffs a couple years ago on our run to winning the Super Bowl. Missing the Honey Badger and if Frank the Shark Uzi blasting Clark plays like he did that year we can and will dominate on defense run and pass. When they come back to play our defense will be stout.
[Reply]
JakeF 03:02 PM 09-16-2021
We haven't controlled the trenches for a while. Sketchy linebacker play is an issue too. A middle linebacker that reads the play and shoots the gap to tackle the RB seems like a unicorn for us right now.

That's the problem with our pass defense too. If we got consistent play and pressure up front, our secondary would be fine.

Jarrad Reed and Frank Clark need to play well.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:03 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
So why is it we've been the same run defense with and without Clark? Hell even if you compare the two games against the Browns. In the playoffs with Clark we gave up 5.3 ypc to Chubb and Hunt. Last week we have up 5.5.

Whoa, that edge set up accounts for a whole 0.2ypc difference! Massive!

You really like trying to force this Clark set the edge narrative. Are we better with Clark in rather than Danna? Of course. Is it a massive difference? Not really.

You and DJ must just look at general stats. 70 of Chubbs and Hunts 98 yards were between the tackles in the playoff game. If you don't think Clark sets a good edge, then you don't know anything about football. Rewatch the games 2-3 times each week and you might figure it out... Where did most of the yards come on Sunday, they weren't between the tackles? Do you think Clark would have went 4 yards upfield on that Chubb TD where the hole was 15 yards wide? GTFO
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up