ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 27
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's talk about the Baltimore Ravens (Week 2)
TLO 05:28 PM 09-12-2021
Discuss
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:33 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
And that’s the thing. If they replace Lamar and his replacement busts, that might get the FO fired.

If they keep Lamar and keep making the playoffs, their jobs are safe.
If they don’t ever win a significant playoff game, their jobs won’t be safe for long.
[Reply]
O.city 10:33 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Replace a starting QB that has won almost 80% of his games with who?

What's your big idea?
One that can win by throwing the football?
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:34 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
The Raiders D is faster and better than ours
Doubtful.

The return of the Honey Badger... which Andy Reid confirmed... makes the Chiefs defense better than the Raiders.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:35 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
One that can win by throwing the football?
And I take it have a better than 80% winning percentage?

I'm sorry, this idea that there's a huge supply of such types out there is silly to me.

Of course if Mahomes 3.0 comes out the Ravens should take him and replace Lamar.

But you actually have to find a guy in the real world of college football.

Not as easy as you think or everyone would be adding a guy like that.

Now if you don't care about winning and want a different style QB, sure, easy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:36 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If they don’t ever win a significant playoff game, their jobs won’t be safe for long.
Those guys can coast on goodwill for a decade, to be honest.

King Carl was drawing dead for several years and he didn't have a SB championship to point to. Or a cult favorite under center (who appears to be teflon for massive chunks of the fan base).

If they sign Jackson through 2030, they'll be employed about that long. If they walk away from him and fall back, they could be fired by 2024. If you're making decisions focused on job security, the 'safe' play is to just give Jackson the contract and resign yourself to mediocrity.
[Reply]
O.city 10:37 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
And I take it have a better than 80% winning percentage?

I'm sorry, this idea that there's a huge supply of such types out there is silly to me.

Of course if Mahomes 3.0 comes out the Ravens should take him and replace Lamar.

But you actually have to find a guy in the real world of college football.

Not as easy as you think or everyone would be adding a guy like that.

Now if you don't care about winning and want a different style QB, sure, easy.
There's about 5 that come out of college every year these days in the draft, so I don't think it'll be that tough.

If you replace Lamar with Alex Smith in this argument, it's not much different.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 10:40 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

King Carl was drawing dead for several years and he didn't have a SB championship to point to. Or a cult favorite under center (who appears to be teflon for massive chunks of the fan base).

If they sign Jackson through 2030, they'll be employed about that long. If they walk away from him and fall back, they could be fired by 2024. If you're making decisions focused on job security, the 'safe' play is to just give Jackson the contract and resign yourself to mediocrity.
Also, that franchise isn’t necessarily starved for success. They’ve won 2 Super Bowls in the last 20 years with bad and average QB play.

I think those fans will continue to point at every other issue before they point at the QB.

Our fanbase was the polar opposite. We’ve had good rosters and average QBs that continually lost to better QBs. Our Franchise refused to even try for greatness at the position. We were absolutely starved for a great QB and real post season success.
[Reply]
scho63 10:44 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Doubtful.

The return of the Honey Badger... which Andy Reid confirmed... makes the Chiefs defense better than the Raiders.
Clark and Matthieu will make it much improved but the Raiders are better sideline to sideline.

Not so sure about their secondary
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:46 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
Clark and Matthieu will make it much improved but the Raiders are better sideline to sideline.

Not so sure about their secondary
Gay is probably a bigger loss than Clark or Mathieu would've been. He just comes downhill so fast and covers so much ground.

He could have been a hell of an equalizer in a spy role. He's one of the few guys out there with the speed to pull it off.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:48 AM 09-14-2021

Yes, I suppose that is also a possibility. They just resign themselves to 9-8, 10-7 type seasons and keep collecting paychecks. It doesn’t really seem like the ravens franchise, to go all Carl Peterson on it.

But they must be coming to the realization that Lamar is not a championship caliber quarterback unless they are not watching the games at all.
[Reply]
scho63 10:49 AM 09-14-2021
Gay is probably a bigger loss than Clark or Mathieu would've been. He just comes downhill so fast and covers so much ground.

He could have been a hell of an equalizer in a spy role. He's one of the few guys out there with the speed to pull it off.
Agree 100% on this. :-)

Wonder if Bolton is ready for this role. :-)
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:51 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
There's about 5 that come out of college every year these days in the draft, so I don't think it'll be that tough.

If you replace Lamar with Alex Smith in this argument, it's not much different.

There aren't 5 QB's per draft better than Lamar Jackson.

That's just a terrible football take.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:57 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Yes, I suppose that is also a possibility. They just resign themselves to 9-8, 10-7 type seasons and keep collecting paychecks. It doesn’t really seem like the ravens franchise, to go all Carl Peterson on it.

But they must be coming to the realization that Lamar is not a championship caliber quarterback unless they are not watching the games at all.
My guess is they hope he can continue to be a regular season wonder, they can snake that #1 seed and catch lightning in a bottle. It'll require a couple of things, though.

1) They need at least 1 matchup win. They need to play a team that just cannot match up with them. A team that doesn't have the ability to explode offensively. The AFC has some of those. Steelers and Titans come to mind.

2) A team needs to implode. The opposing QB needs to vapor-lock into a couple of silly turnovers early to put themselves into a nasty game script. Josh Allen may or may not be one of those.

3) Someone needs to take out the Chiefs for them.

4) Jackson needs to develop as a high-variance passer. He needs to just become a downfield bomber, to be honest. He's never going to be precise so these 6-8 yard throws with low rewards aren't worth the trouble. He's still gonna flat out mis-fire on too many of them and put you behind the sticks. When the 'win' is a 5 yard gain, why bother? He needs to become a tolerable downfield passer in the Eli Manning, Jeff Blake sort of mold where he can fire up balls with enough hang time for pass-catchers to adjust and make his mediocre accuracy more tenable. If they're incomplete, so be it. If they're picked, well that's not the end of the world either because it's an arm punt.

But trying to build a championship offense behind Lamar Jackson and a short passing game won't win them 3 games in the post-season. They may be able to steal one or two. But they won't win a title.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 10:58 AM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by Eleazar:

Ravens fans will never come to that realization. They saw their franchise win Super Bowls with Dilfer and Flacco in the last 20 years. It’ll always be someone else’s fault.

I don’t see the FO moving on, because there will be zero pressure to do so. Fans will keep showing up or watching and supporting. They’ll be a decent team almost every year.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:09 AM 09-14-2021
Lamar cant throw and likely cant score enough with his legs to beat KC.

End of story.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 27
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up