5 Erick Pena, OF
6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
BWillie 09:28 AM 07-08-2021
The best thing about this season is Perez is in the Home Run Derby.

He's going to win it, too. If he doesn't have to worry about it being a ball, there is no looking back for Perez. He would be my odds on favorite to win it.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:01 AM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
That Flanagan Twitter thread is fantastic.

Speaks to a lot of the things I was worried/concerned about with Matheny and staff.

I think Matheny will survive this season/offseason and end up getting canned midseason next year. His staff will get turned over. Pay attention to his bench coach - if they hire someone with prior managing experience, the writing is on the wall.

ITT, You’ve sorta become the apologist for the F.O.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 10:29 AM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
I disagree, he is just reporting what he thinks will happen, not what he wants to happen.

He has been pretty clear in that he would like to see sweeping changes with the development of our players.
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:02 AM 07-08-2021
Random, pointless stat for the Arizona Royals fans.... the Royals' comeback the other night got me wondering.... prior to Tuesday night, the last time the Royals and Diamondbacks won on the same day was 6/1, a span of 28 games when they played on the same day.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:09 AM 07-08-2021
I'm not trying to apologize or defend except where I feel people are being unreasonable or maybe aren't seeing the whole picture.

What I want to happen is different from what I think will happen.

I've been very clear and transparent from the first hint of Matheny becoming manager that I think this is a huge mistake, a mis-step, and that Moore is putting his job on the line (for me) with this hire.

If they stick with Matheny and this staff without changes, I want a cleaned house top to bottom.

They stick with Matheny and make staff changes, I think it's time to remove Moore from that part of the decision process and move him upstairs, where his strengths can still be valuable (culture, investment in scouts, etc.). Even if it works.

If they can Matheny and flip over the whole staff, I'll give Moore some credit. I don't believe he has it in him to take that approach. But we'll see.

My historical defense of Moore has been based on a few legs:

1) How much of a task he inherited
2) How successful he was in "fixing" what he inherited
3) How hard it is for a market like KC to actually win a WS, let alone make it to 2
4) The success rate of GMs. It's not easy to get that hire right.
2)
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:16 AM 07-08-2021
Out of curiosity, what’s your current stance on Matheny?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:26 AM 07-08-2021
We've been shitty at developing starting pitching for a long time. A very long time.

Starting pitching was SUPPOSED to be what fueled the 2015 'best farm system ever destined to be World Champions' club.

It wasn't. Duffy and Ventura were the only guys that worked out, really.

They need to make some organizational changes.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:27 AM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Out of curiosity, what’s your current stance on Matheny?
Everyone in the org needs to be on watch.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:29 AM 07-08-2021
Everyone in the org needs to be on watch.
That’s where I am too.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:31 AM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
That’s where I am too.
I’m in the Beane school of: managers don’t matter much.

As such, that cuts both ways. Matheny prob isn’t losing those games on his own but letting him go won’t be any real loss either.
[Reply]
sedated 12:45 PM 07-08-2021
Moore seems to really like Matheny in a personal sense. Given the org's "family" outlook on things, I'd expect him to get a very long leash. Maybe even longer than Bob Sutton.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 12:48 PM 07-08-2021

As such, that cuts both ways. Matheny prob isn’t losing those games on his own but letting him go won’t be any real loss either.
I feel like a bad manager has a more negative impact on a team than a good manager has a positive impact if that makes sense.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:17 PM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by sedated:
Moore seems to really like Matheny in a personal sense. Given the org's "family" outlook on things, I'd expect him to get a very long leash. Maybe even longer than Bob Sutton.
Agreed. Unfortunately.

Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
I feel like a bad manager has a more negative impact on a team than a good manager has a positive impact if that makes sense.
100 percent agree. Being "awesome" doesn't gain you much beyond being "competant." But being bad can hurt you a lot.

No doubt he isn't losing on his own. My argument would be that he and his below-average staff are making things worse than they can be. A good manager might help you pull an extra win or two. A bad manager who makes his team play tight, doesn't organize appropriately, and burns his bullpen (it sure looks like Matheny still doesn't pay attention to whether he's warming guys up too much in the pen) can certainly hurt you.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 01:19 PM 07-08-2021

What about pitching coaches:-)
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 01:43 PM 07-08-2021
The Royals developmental system is terrible, it has been for a long time. The guys having constructed this is at fault. Draft all you want at the top of the draft, it doesn't matter because we can't do anything with that talent (for the most part). The very few guys that DO develop are doing so in spite of the organization, or were acquired later in their development (Cain)
[Reply]
Page 227 of 440
« First < 127177217223224225226227 228229230231237277327 > Last »
Up