ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 323 of 382
« First < 223273313319320321322323 324325326327333373 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
MTG#10 06:30 PM 09-17-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Nice, not bad at all.

I've tried very few of their stouts in recent years (granted, they don't make many), but that one looks like it's worth a shot if it makes it out here.

Brandyland is probably the last one I enjoyed, even though it was lacking stoutness for the ABV. I had higher hopes for Rye on Rye Maple a few months ago on tap, but it was a dud.
Their Whiskey Barrel Imperial Stout and Dark Truth are the only other stouts I've tried from them. The Whiskey Barrel was very good but dont care for the Dark Truth...too "pruney" for me. This new one is the best one yet in my opinion, but coffee infused Imperial Stouts are my favorite kind of beers...
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:43 PM 09-17-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Their Whiskey Barrel Imperial Stout and Dark Truth are the only other stouts I've tried from them. The Whiskey Barrel was very good but dont care for the Dark Truth...too "pruney" for me. This new one is the best one yet in my opinion, but coffee infused Imperial Stouts are my favorite kind of beers...
I think something happened to Dark Truth... I really enjoyed it at one point years ago, then went back to it a time or two and it just seemed off. So, maybe the same reason you don't care for it. Figured I'd try the Whiskey Barrel Stout or Plaid Habit if I ever see it as a single and I don't have to buy a 4 pack.

As far as coffee, do you like Early Riser, if you've tried it? I tend not to drink porters, since by definition they're usually far more subtle, but it's in the same 'meh, might grab it sometime' category.
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:58 PM 09-17-2021
As far as coffee, do you like Early Riser, if you've tried it? I tend not to drink porters, since by definition they're usually far more subtle, but it's in the same 'meh, might grab it sometime' category.
I haven't seen that around here. The only "non-imperial" coffee stout brew I've tried is the Mother's Winter Grind...its pretty meh. Their Imperial Grind is great though.

I agree about porters, but Founders Barrel Aged Porter is pretty tasty. Haven't seen it around for awhile though.
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:22 PM 09-17-2021
I haven't seen that around here. The only "non-imperial" coffee stout brew I've tried is the Mother's Winter Grind...its pretty meh. Their Imperial Grind is great though.

I agree about porters, but Founders Barrel Aged Porter is pretty tasty. Haven't seen it around for awhile though.
Panther Cub? Seems like I've tried it, but maybe at a beerfest and then never found it after that.

Despite it being 100 on beeradvocate, I've never liked their KBS, but liked it a bit more when they added maple syrup to it.... and still have one last bottle of CBS, which is far better.
[Reply]
kgrund 07:47 PM 09-17-2021
Crazy that I think Toppling Goliath is the best damm brewery I have ever had and I have yet to have one stout. And I love stouts.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:07 PM 09-17-2021
Originally Posted by kgrund:
Crazy that I think Toppling Goliath is the best damm brewery I have ever had and I have yet to have one stout. And I love stouts.
Pretty sure I could try their most basic pilsner and come away impressed, but if you like monsterous stouts, it's heaven.

It's a little strange they don't have a flagship kind of stout that you can find anywhere, but I guess that just means they don't half ass them at all. We've gotten their IPAs and Sues and things for about 6 months, but there have only been 3 kegs of their stouts in the state (Term Oil Monster Cookie, Mornin' Delight, and Term Oil Fluffernutter).

I felt like a fucking boss walking out of their taproom with two Term Oils. :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:22 PM 09-17-2021
A little Chicago from home.

(not that it's unusual :-) )

[Reply]
Bearcat 09:06 PM 09-17-2021
Holy balls, it's sssssoooo goooood :-)

[Reply]
KCUnited 06:17 AM 09-18-2021
Winter is coming

[Reply]
Pablo 08:37 AM 09-18-2021
Originally Posted by kgrund:
I've had a couple of their IPAs and was absolutely blown away. I don't typically care for stouts but I'd drink one of theirs because I'm certain everything they make is gold.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:03 AM 09-18-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Winter is coming
Can I make a request for the next CP Chicago BA Beer Tasting? :-)

Seriously though, a side-by-side-by-side-by-side-by-side-by-side of different BCS barrels would be amazing at an event like that.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:17 AM 09-18-2021
Can I make a request for the next CP Chicago BA Beer Tasting? :-)

Seriously though, a side-by-side-by-side-by-side-by-side-by-side of different BCS barrels would be amazing at an event like that.
Its a hard event to plan around if traveling. Its every September but they don't drop the dates until a week before. I feel its strategic on their part but who knows.

They've also stretched it out from a weekend event into 5 days and taproom instead of the block party format. So it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Maybe they think expanding the days, especially adding week days, will spread more people out but that seems optimistic unless they do reserved seating or some other crowd control measure.

The problem (a good one to have) is not knowing when things are getting tapped. They do let you double fist though so the strategy in the past is to grab 2 different pours, wife grabs 2 different pours, jump back in line and share/repeat. A few of those like the double barrel Blantons/Eagle and 4 Year Rare are new so the hoards will be circling.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:51 AM 09-18-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Its a hard event to plan around if traveling. Its every September but they don't drop the dates until a week before. I feel its strategic on their part but who knows.

They've also stretched it out from a weekend event into 5 days and taproom instead of the block party format. So it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Maybe they think expanding the days, especially adding week days, will spread more people out but that seems optimistic unless they do reserved seating or some other crowd control measure.

The problem (a good one to have) is not knowing when things are getting tapped. They do let you double fist though so the strategy in the past is to grab 2 different pours, wife grabs 2 different pours, jump back in line and share/repeat. A few of those like the double barrel Blantons/Eagle and 4 Year Rare are new so the hoards will be circling.
I don't have a crazy amount of patience to hunt down and wait for beer these days, but would definitely do something like that as long as the wait isn't so crazy that you're out of beer and still have a long time to wait in line.

Is the Triple Barrel 2018 or did they do that other years, too? At 19%, I'd like to try that one in another decade. :-)
[Reply]
MTG#10 09:59 AM 09-18-2021
Panther Cub? Seems like I've tried it, but maybe at a beerfest and then never found it after that.

Despite it being 100 on beeradvocate, I've never liked their KBS, but liked it a bit more when they added maple syrup to it.... and still have one last bottle of CBS, which is far better.
Yeah Panther Cub, that stuff was legit for a porter. I like KBS and love CBS. I know this is an unpopular opinion but I've always felt BCS is overrated...especially for the price.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:35 AM 09-18-2021
Yeah Panther Cub, that stuff was legit for a porter. I like KBS and love CBS. I know this is an unpopular opinion but I've always felt BCS is overrated...especially for the price.
KBS has like a burnt/charred thing that I have a hard time getting past... the maple variety hides it for the most part.

There were a couple years in KC where I was done with the BCS hype... having to go out and shop for it on the one day you want to sit at home and avoid shopping, with limits of 1 bottle/person.

Then I moved here and bought an entire case of it and can generally get as much as I want. I'll show up at the beer store at 10am for the variants, but can also still find 2-3 year old variants for like $17 in Phoenix.

I think it's still one of the better stouts out there and will always appreciate it for setting the standard years ago.

Can't help to think the namesake of Toppling Goliath had at least a little bit to do with Goose Island and BCS, given their amazing stouts (the server said it was mostly business related and beer in general).
[Reply]
Page 323 of 382
« First < 223273313319320321322323 324325326327333373 > Last »
Up