ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2500 of 3903
« First < 1500200024002450249024962497249824992500 250125022503250425102550260030003500 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 09:24 PM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
She's 8 days out and not doing well today I guess. Fever, body aches and started with loss of appetite. I am very worried for her.

And now due to my exposure I had to cancel taking time off this week and seeing my parents this weekend. I also realize this won't be the last time I'm exposed to COVID........it's just the most frustrating dream that never changes.
Yeah but you have already had it so you got that going for you, really. But I know where you're coming from. My Dad has had to cancel trips here twice this year because of all of this shit.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:24 PM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Damn that sucks Lew. I am sorry my memory is shit but what was your test results?
Positive back in May and then two negative test results. Never had symptoms.

Antibodies at the end of May were "undetermined."

Swabbed again in June was negative.

Now the State is running out of tests so unless you have symptoms, you aren't getting tested.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:27 PM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Dirk, I am sorry I won't disagree that re-opening has added to cases and I think it was naive to think it wouldn't. But bars only opened in CA roughly 14 days ago. The protests were going on for weeks before that.

I know people want to point to the re-openings but it's rather idiotic to think cases are spiking about 3-4 weeks after the protesting started and that has nothing to do with it. And amazingly the target group this time around is the exact age group of those running the streets in droves every night.
I don’t disagree and I am sure they played a part.

I just read since LA opened restaurants and bars etc on June 20th they have had 500k visitors and 83% of those establishments aren’t following the SD rules. LA is definitely the hotspot with well over 100k cases.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:31 PM 07-02-2020
I don’t disagree and I am sure they played a part.

I just read since LA opened restaurants and bars etc on June 20th they have had 500k visitors and 83% of those establishments aren’t following the SD rules. LA is definitely the hotspot with well over 100k cases.
So up until now we have heard it takes how long before we see spikes in cases? The bars have been open in CA for what now, 10-12 days? Protests have been going on for 4-5 weeks?

I am gonna lean towards protests and probably slightly exacerbated by bars.
[Reply]
Kiimo 09:34 PM 07-02-2020
A couple things. One, I'm in agreement with the BLM protests but hell no am I going to those things as the virus doesn't care how valid the cause is. But also blaming the protests ignores a huge thing in LA. Most of the hotspot communities seem to be in latinx areas. From the beginning this has been a problem as wearing masks hasn't been common and staying home from work is not a valid option for many of these people.

Back in April people were saying the two biggest groups to ignore social distancing has been the rich and the poor. The poor out of necessity and the rich out of entitlement.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:36 PM 07-02-2020
Positive back in May and then two negative test results. Never had symptoms.

Antibodies at the end of May were "undetermined."

Swabbed again in June was negative.

Now the State is running out of tests so unless you have symptoms, you aren't getting tested.
As Pete said at least you are probably immune.

My parents both passed a few years ago but I have spent a lot of time thinking wtf I would do if they were still alive right now. Not being able to be there and take care of them would be so freakin hard.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:37 PM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
A couple things. One, I'm in agreement with the BLM protests but hell no am I going to those things as the virus doesn't care how valid the cause is. But also blaming the protests ignores a huge thing in LA. Most of the hotspot communities seem to be in latinx areas. From the beginning this has been a problem as wearing masks hasn't been common and staying home from work is not a valid option for many of these people.

Back in April people were saying the two biggest groups to ignore social distancing has been the rich and the poor. The poor out of necessity and the rich out of entitlement.
I have posited for the last week or two the possibility of the recent surge in Mexico spilling across the border. That isn't to say illegals but there is just a lot of natural traffic and border crossings every day with CA, AZ and TX. No one really wants to address that for whatever reason. The fact you say it is primarily in the latin areas though would maybe substantiate that a bit.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:39 PM 07-02-2020
The median incubation period might very well be ~5 days but that's only because 80% of the cases are clustered at 1-3 days from exposure on one side and 13-15 on the other.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:42 PM 07-02-2020
As Pete said at least you are probably immune.

My parents both passed a few years ago but I have spent a lot of time thinking wtf I would do if they were still alive right now. Not being able to be there and take care of them would be so freakin hard.
Well, I have my Dad and Step Mom who both live in Phoenix and both in their late 60's\early 70's.

Both make the choice on how they want to live their life and I don't lecture the one way or the other.

As they have said, they are too old to merely exist through life for the rest of their days. Both have some form of underlying. Both are fairly active and healthy otherwise but they do have medical conditions.

What they told me was if they have to live like prisoners, being locked down, can't go here, can't go there, then at their age what is the point? Their fear I guess is by the time all this shit settles down and people are allowed to live their lives again they will be too old to live it the way they wanted.

Considering this primarily impacts the elderly I guess it's their opinion that matters over mine but it is what it is.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:44 PM 07-02-2020
I have posited for the last week or two the possibility of the recent surge in Mexico spilling across the border. That isn't to say illegals but there is just a lot of natural traffic and border crossings every day with CA, AZ and TX. No one really wants to address that for whatever reason. The fact you say it is primarily in the latin areas though would maybe substantiate that a bit.
This is not a racist comment but I think it's Hispanics in America and has nothing to do with the border. Hispanics in general have a strong sense of family/friend gatherings. Many of them are still having these large gatherings because it's important to them. I know a nurse whose family had a party back in April when things were just getting rolling. 50 family members attended this party and of course they spread COVID to each other (many of them worked in healthcare!). 18 tested positive and 4 older family members died. It's a huge cultural thing for them.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:46 PM 07-02-2020
This is not a racist comment but I think it's Hispanics in America and has nothing to do with the border. Hispanics in general have a strong sense of family/friend gatherings. Many of them are still having these large gatherings because it's important to them. I know a nurse whose family had a party back in April when things were just getting rolling. 50 family members attended this party and of course they spread COVID to each other (many of them worked in healthcare!). 18 tested positive and 4 older family members died. It's a huge cultural thing for them.
Well here in good old JoCo, Ks, I can tell you the cases are highest among hispanics. Just a smidge over Whites but still higher.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:47 PM 07-02-2020
My neighbors were having parties every weekend with 20-30 people and a live band from around March to early May. Between a huge culture of community gatherings and lots of multi generational families, it's really tough for many Latinos to stay isolated.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:49 PM 07-02-2020
Well here in good old JoCo, Ks, I can tell you the cases are highest among hispanics. Just a smidge over Whites but still higher.
Originally Posted by DaFace:
My neighbors were having parties every weekend with 20-30 people and a live band from around March to early May. Between a huge culture of community gatherings and lots of multi generational families, it's really tough for many Latinos to stay isolated.
Yup, it's very common. Multi-family living and the responsibility to take care of the elderly until death makes this hard for them to isolate.

Plus, they just love to party. lol
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:54 PM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:

The poor can't afford masks?
[Reply]
DaFace 09:54 PM 07-02-2020
Yup, it's very common. Multi-family living and the responsibility to take care of the elderly until death makes this hard for them to isolate.

Plus, they just love to party. lol
I should add that the odd thing is that Colorado deaths line up with population distribution pretty closely despite the fact that Latinos overindex on cases by almost a factor of two. My theory is that they tend to be younger, while non-Hispanic white people are less likely to get it, but they are more likely to die from it since they tend to be older.

Data is here for Colorado FWIW.

https://covid19.colorado.gov/data/case-data
[Reply]
Page 2500 of 3903
« First < 1500200024002450249024962497249824992500 250125022503250425102550260030003500 > Last »
Up