ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 463 of 469
« First < 363413453459460461462463 464465466467 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:01 PM 12-21-2022
I think my only real ask from a Sherman FO is an effort to lock up our young talent to second contracts.

But, if we’re regularly contending, I’m even flexible on that.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:10 PM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
You dumbasses will vote to give 2 billion to the Royala to build a stadium :-)
Gladly
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:42 PM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by tk13:
I really think if people wanted to spend money we should have kept Dayton. If Sherman is going to run this team like Tampa and Cleveland the days of Ian Kennedy or Gil Meche contracts might be over. There was already an article on Royals Review today on how the Royals are boring now. It blew my mind. This is what everyone wanted for us to be a ruthlessly analytical team and it looks like that's what might be happening. It hasn't even been one offseason and people are getting tired of it. It might be time to start taking bets on the first article where someone longs for Dayton because he understood the KC sports market.

For me the real test is if they re-sign any of the guys they develop. Won't be able to afford them all but if they're investing long term in some of the guys they're developing like Vinny or MJ or Singer then all this will be worth it. Jury is out on that though. If they won't do that we're in trouble.
All of this. We got what most people think an extremely young talented core of players. They showed glimpses of it last year with a complete moron managing the team and even more idiot as pitching coach. We got to find out which of these young players are the true core and then fill in the holes from there.

Brandon Drury is a guy who has had only 2 seasons over 1 WAR in his career. The rest have been negative. Price was right but he isn't some long term solution at third base.

I think 3rd and RF both have holes but we have players to fill those spots. But that is also our first two draft picks from last year's draft.

I would have liked Manea for the price he got, but if our pitching guys who are from Tampa and Cleveland like a guy I'll take their word for it for now.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:57 AM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by tk13:
I really think if people wanted to spend money we should have kept Dayton. If Sherman is going to run this team like Tampa and Cleveland the days of Ian Kennedy or Gil Meche contracts might be over. There was already an article on Royals Review today on how the Royals are boring now. It blew my mind. This is what everyone wanted for us to be a ruthlessly analytical team and it looks like that's what might be happening. It hasn't even been one offseason and people are getting tired of it. It might be time to start taking bets on the first article where someone longs for Dayton because he understood the KC sports market.

For me the real test is if they re-sign any of the guys they develop. Won't be able to afford them all but if they're investing long term in some of the guys they're developing like Vinny or MJ or Singer then all this will be worth it. Jury is out on that though. If they won't do that we're in trouble.
With me there are levels to each thing, we literally have a blackhole at 3rd base until a guy that they just drafted makes it so your talking 2-3 years provided he works out.

I don't think they need to spend money to spend money or try to be the Mets or something like that. I would just like some moves that make sense...bringing back guys like O'Hearn, Keller, Dozier makes no sense to me...matter of fact Scott Barlow and Michael Taylor should be traded also.

I'm sure there will be some disagreement here but I think it would have made more sense to cut bait on someone like Dozier who has no value to the team.

I'd have been looking to do something like this going into next year..

C Perez/Melendez with Perez seeing a lot of DH at bats and them splitting catching almost 50/50.

1B Vinnie/Pratto with Pratto also getting OF time and Vinnie getting some DH time.

2B Massey

3B I'd have gone after Drury here as we have nothing

SS Witt

Nicky Lopez comes in as your utility backup infielder

LF Isbel/Oliveras platoon, Oliveras murders Lefthanded pitching

CF Waters

RF Mondesi, this guy needs to be an OF if you ever wanna see him be anything

Then round this out, I actually like Nate Eaton as a utility guy.

As far as pitching goes I get that they have a ton of young pitchers but the idea all of them figure it out is 0. Odds say you'll get 1 good starter, an ok starter, a couple of relievers and some trash.

If I were to start to list how I think that plays out it's obviously guessing and may rub some people the wrong way but it is what it is. But here goes

Singer, I think he ends up a mid rotation starter like a 3.
Bubic-trash
Lynch-reliever
Kowar-reliever
Alec Marsh-this one is interesting I think he either ends up as a + starter or a closer, he's one of the few guys who has ++ stuff.
Bowlan-I think Bowlan is the guy most likely to be a + starter out of the entire group.
Carlos Hernandez-reliever, another guy who probably has closer potential
Angel Zerpa-probably a 5 starter
Heasley-reliever, probably long relief type of stuff

I actually gave the Royals 3 starters possibly 4 out of this which is really nice, but odds are Marsh ends up a back end reliever and Zerpa is a fringe starter.

With that said I'm not sure how with this group you aren't in on some guys who got pretty fair deals like Manaea and Ross Stripling or how you aren't in on Eovoldi.

While you aren't a contender you also don't want your team of young players to get ass raped either.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:20 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
With me there are levels to each thing, we literally have a blackhole at 3rd base until a guy that they just drafted makes it so your talking 2-3 years provided he works out.

I don't think they need to spend money to spend money or try to be the Mets or something like that. I would just like some moves that make sense...bringing back guys like O'Hearn, Keller, Dozier makes no sense to me...matter of fact Scott Barlow and Michael Taylor should be traded also.

I'm sure there will be some disagreement here but I think it would have made more sense to cut bait on someone like Dozier who has no value to the team.

I'd have been looking to do something like this going into next year..

C Perez/Melendez with Perez seeing a lot of DH at bats and them splitting catching almost 50/50.

1B Vinnie/Pratto with Pratto also getting OF time and Vinnie getting some DH time.

2B Massey

3B I'd have gone after Drury here as we have nothing

SS Witt

Nicky Lopez comes in as your utility backup infielder

LF Isbel/Oliveras platoon, Oliveras murders Lefthanded pitching

CF Waters

RF Mondesi, this guy needs to be an OF if you ever wanna see him be anything

Then round this out, I actually like Nate Eaton as a utility guy.

As far as pitching goes I get that they have a ton of young pitchers but the idea all of them figure it out is 0. Odds say you'll get 1 good starter, an ok starter, a couple of relievers and some trash.

If I were to start to list how I think that plays out it's obviously guessing and may rub some people the wrong way but it is what it is. But here goes

Singer, I think he ends up a mid rotation starter like a 3.
Bubic-trash
Lynch-reliever
Kowar-reliever
Alec Marsh-this one is interesting I think he either ends up as a + starter or a closer, he's one of the few guys who has ++ stuff.
Bowlan-I think Bowlan is the guy most likely to be a + starter out of the entire group.
Carlos Hernandez-reliever, another guy who probably has closer potential
Angel Zerpa-probably a 5 starter
Heasley-reliever, probably long relief type of stuff

I actually gave the Royals 3 starters possibly 4 out of this which is really nice, but odds are Marsh ends up a back end reliever and Zerpa is a fringe starter.

With that said I'm not sure how with this group you aren't in on some guys who got pretty fair deals like Manaea and Ross Stripling or how you aren't in on Eovoldi.

While you aren't a contender you also don't want your team of young players to get ass raped either.
You think Brady Singer is going to be a 3? I think you just like being a pessimistic bitch and want to complain. Brady Singer only started 24 games and if he would have actually gotten 34 starts like he should have then his pace as a starter would have put him at

210 innings, 2.85 ERA, 204 Strikeouts, 1.119 WHIP. He had a 4.5 WAR, which was 6th among AL pitchers and if he would have had a full seasons worth of starts, then he's at 6.4 WAR which would tie him for the lead in the AL and tied for 2nd in the majors. Brady is an ace and has had a better season than Ventura ever had. He will be the best pitcher ever brought up through the Dayton Moore system. He's a stud
[Reply]
Mecca 12:25 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
You think Brady Singer is going to be a 3? I think you just like being a pessimistic bitch and want to complain. Brady Singer only started 24 games and if he would have actually gotten 34 starts like he should have then his pace as a starter would have put him at

210 innings, 2.85 ERA, 204 Strikeouts, 1.119 WHIP. He had a 4.5 WAR, which was 6th among AL pitchers and if he would have had a full seasons worth of starts, then he's at 6.4 WAR which would tie him for the lead in the AL and tied for 2nd in the majors. Brady is an ace and has had a better season than Ventura ever had. He will be the best pitcher ever brought up through the Dayton Moore system. He's a stud
Singer has some peripheral's that make it look like he got a bit lucky over the course of the year. He could be better or worse so I'm hedging a bit on that. It was also 1 season, there isn't a long track record either so once again I'm just plopping him right in the middle because I have no real way of knowing.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:54 PM 12-22-2022
I don't think personally and I really don't think the Royals do either that MJ Melendez is the Royals future catcher. I think its going to be Carter Jensen. Salvy's playing time line pretty much lines up perfect with his callup timeline IMO.

An offseason of learning how to play the outfield with Rusty Kuntz will do wonders for him.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 01:06 PM 12-22-2022
I am looking forward to a more modern approach for coaching our catchers. Having improvement in pitch framing would be a boon for our pitchers. Our pitchers recieved the worst umpiring of any team last year according to umpire scorecards, and by far. Also, our team received the worst overall umpiring.

https://umpscorecards.com/teams/
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 01:13 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
I don't think personally and I really don't think the Royals do either that MJ Melendez is the Royals future catcher. I think its going to be Carter Jensen. Salvy's playing time line pretty much lines up perfect with his callup timeline IMO.

An offseason of learning how to play the outfield with Rusty Kuntz will do wonders for him.
This is the correct take. I've been thinking this about Jensen since the end of the season. I hope he continues to advance. I just wish MJ could have adapted to 3B.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:16 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:

Maybe that's true and even if it is, Perez is a much better offensive player when he doesn't catch all the time. Even if Melendez isn't the future of the position he needs a lot of playing time and Salvy needs less innings behind the plate.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 01:22 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
I am looking forward to a more modern approach for coaching our catchers. Having improvement in pitch framing would be a boon for our pitchers. Our pitchers recieved the worst umpiring of any team last year according to umpire scorecards, and by far. Also, our team received the worst overall umpiring.

I cannot believe we're actually talking about pitch framing as a development need...that catchers need to be better about faking a ball for a strike...or helping the umpire to do his job by making a true strike more obvious to an umpire that simply can't make the correct call. Focusing on pitch framing is short-sighted, IMO. I'm fairly certain that robo-umps are coming...and I welcome it. Pitch framing is one of the stupidest developments of the modern game and I'm ready for that conversation to end so that we can simply get true strikes and balls. I will admit that - to this point - it has been a smart tactic based upon wildly inconsistent umpiring behind the plate...whether it's because they just suck or the pitching has just become so filthy that umpires can't make accurate calls anymore. It's just bad for baseball.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:24 PM 12-22-2022
The Giants may have a hard time ever attracting another top Free Agent..

Supposedly they got cold feet over Correa's angle that hasn't been an issue since 2014...

Among the details from Verducci here: Correa had *already gotten dressed for the press conference* yesterday when he learned it wasn't happening!

Scott Boras says Carlos Correa's parents, brother, wife, and parents-in-law were at the hotel in San Francisco when they found out his press conference was postponed.

Yea they're gonna be hosed for awhile.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 01:27 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Maybe that's true and even if it is, Perez is a much better offensive player when he doesn't catch all the time. Even if Melendez isn't the future of the position he needs a lot of playing time and Salvy needs less innings behind the plate.
The scuttlebutt is that the Royals are looking for a competent, veteran catcher. I'm guessing this is so that Salvy can DH 2-3 times a week. It's doubtful that a
guy like Luca Tresh would be ready this season, but I would prefer a younger guy.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:58 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:

Good job, catching coordinator Pedro Grifol!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:13 PM 12-22-2022
Re: Melendez, if the Royals don't see him sticking at C long-term, I'd like to see them give him a shot at 3B before settling him in a corner spot.

I'd roll with him behind the plate this year, though, and also DHing a bit.
[Reply]
Page 463 of 469
« First < 363413453459460461462463 464465466467 > Last »
Up