ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 363 of 382
« First < 263313353359360361362363 364365366367373 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Shag 05:37 PM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Ticked a Pliny the Younger today while at a homebrew event

I didn't realize they bottled Younger, nice score. I'm fortunate enough to get it in SD every year, but have only ever seen it on tap.
[Reply]
scho63 10:59 PM 05-07-2023
Tonight drank 2 Reve Coffee Stouts from Parish Brewing Co.

1 with my tacos and the other while smoking a My Father La Opulencia toro.

Very thick with no head and super coffee flavored. 6.8% ABV.

Tasted stronger and I got a nice buzz. Couldn't drink more than 2.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10:49 AM 05-08-2023
Ticked a Pliny the Younger today while at a homebrew event

Still haven't been able to try that.
[Reply]
Womble 01:02 PM 05-15-2023
One for the Cincinnati Mayor

[Reply]
Bearcat 03:05 PM 05-15-2023
Founds some WeldWerks yesterday. I've found random cans a handful of times outside of CO and it's always just that... never a 4 pack or multiple singles. Just a random can on a shelf

And I will always purchase you, lonely WeldWorks deliciousness.

[Reply]
Bearcat 03:09 PM 05-19-2023
Back to basics.

[Reply]
KCUnited 03:55 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Back to basics.

Seeing BBQ will always bring me back to this exchange with Reaper from 2010. It was learning moment for me that I remember and also a window into the beer journey

And yeah, still not feeling Quads 13 years later

Cheers to you and Reaper

Picked up a BSS Bourbon Barrel Quad. First, it's labeled as #6732 of #11248 bottled and produced. Reminds me of my vinyl collection which will mark their pressings in the same way and even press to different color vinyl for different editions of a particular release, so that was cool too me.

That said, I'm not really digging the brew. I get the hint of bourbon barrel, and I like bourbon, but it tastes extremely sweet, like a syrup too me. My least favorite of the BSS.
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
You have much experience with Quadrupels before drinking the BBQ?
Admittedly, I don't. I am impressed with the craftsmanship of the beer and the different layers of flavor, just maybe not the style for me.
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Could be. Quads are definitely sweet; malt sugar levels approaching that of a barelywine but without the hop bitterness to balance it.

You may come around to 'em one day, too. Palates evolve.

[Reply]
Bearcat 04:21 PM 05-19-2023
Seeing BBQ will always bring me back to this exchange with Reaper from 2010. It was learning moment for me that I remember and also a window into the beer journey

And yeah, still not feeling Quads 13 years later

Cheers to you and Reaper
Took me a second on the BSS part.

Reaper was such a wealth of knowledge in this thread. I mentioned Blanc Burgers on facebook once (and they had a really good beer menu) and Reaper went into detail on how the food selection would perfectly meld with the beer selection.

I clicked on one of your quotes and browsed a few pages... good times, hunting down Boulevard beers.

My older brother lives in North Carolina, and drove up there to hike last weekend and he bought a 4 pack of BBQ and some IPAs as a gift... he's not a beer expert by any means, but had apparently remembered I liked BBQ back when it was really hard to find around KC.

Looking at Burial next weekend (Raleigh, wish I could make it to Asheville), expecting it to be the pinnacle of Carolina beer.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:32 PM 05-19-2023
Took me a second on the BSS part.

Reaper was such a wealth of knowledge in this thread. I mentioned Blanc Burgers on facebook once (and they had a really good beer menu) and Reaper went into detail on how the food selection would perfectly meld with the beer selection.

I clicked on one of your quotes and browsed a few pages... good times, hunting down Boulevard beers.

My older brother lives in North Carolina, and drove up there to hike last weekend and he bought a 4 pack of BBQ and some IPAs as a gift... he's not a beer expert by any means, but had apparently remembered I liked BBQ back when it was really hard to find around KC.

Looking at Burial next weekend (Raleigh, wish I could make it to Asheville), expecting it to be the pinnacle of Carolina beer.
I think Boulevard Smokestack Series was a fairly recent branding at that time which is why I went for the BSS descriptor.

What's hilarious is that I felt insecure that a KC brewery put out a beer called BBQ that I didn't like and I honestly feel to this day that unintentional acronym was the driving force behind peoples perception of it.

I can't be convinced that people around KC were like "oh hell yeah a bourbon barrel quad!" It was just acronymed BBQ and people were like I have to try that.

Not to diminish the beer or peoples preferences, its obviously a quality beer and at the time I was probably trying to crush it (the original iteration was bomber format) during a noon Chiefs game or something instead of an after beef wellington dinner drink to maximize its characteristics, but yeah I'm convinced that played into the lore.

I mean how many other quads are people out there seeking out?
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:02 PM 05-19-2023
I think Boulevard Smokestack Series was a fairly recent branding at that time which is why I went for the BSS descriptor.

What's hilarious is that I felt insecure that a KC brewery put out a beer called BBQ that I didn't like and I honestly feel to this day that unintentional acronym was the driving force behind peoples perception of it.

I can't be convinced that people around KC were like "oh hell yeah a bourbon barrel quad!" It was just acronymed BBQ and people were like I have to try that.

Not to diminish the beer or peoples preferences, its obviously a quality beer and at the time I was probably trying to crush it (the original iteration was bomber format) during a noon Chiefs game or something instead of an after beef wellington dinner drink to maximize its characteristics, but yeah I'm convinced that played into the lore.

Yeah, I've wondered if the 'BBQ' was a holy shit, let's tag it BBQ moment just for the KC vibes, or if it really was inconsequential when they first named it. Hell, the only other quad I know of off the top of my head is Three Philosophers from Ommegang, I remember trying it in Omaha years ago.

I think BBQ was a gateway beer, personally... Boulevard Pale Ale was my go-to for a bit, then started venturing into Single/Double Wide IPA, and BBQ provided that heavier punch that was on par ABV-wise with the readily available stouts of the time. It was far more in-your-face for its time than it is today, of course, and a good amount of nostalgia now (well, and at 12%+, enjoyable after a couple).
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:42 PM 05-19-2023
Yeah, I've wondered if the 'BBQ' was a holy shit, let's tag it BBQ moment just for the KC vibes, or if it really was inconsequential when they first named it. Hell, the only other quad I know of off the top of my head is Three Philosophers from Ommegang, I remember trying it in Omaha years ago.

I think BBQ was a gateway beer, personally... Boulevard Pale Ale was my go-to for a bit, then started venturing into Single/Double Wide IPA, and BBQ provided that heavier punch that was on par ABV-wise with the readily available stouts of the time. It was far more in-your-face for its time than it is today, of course, and a good amount of nostalgia now (well, and at 12%+, enjoyable after a couple).
It would definitely be cool to get a confirmation on that. I lean towards unintentional just due to the basic naming conventions they had for other BSS beers at the time, like BA Imperial Stout. I think that era, at least in the midwest, was to just name a beer what it was, but I'd love to know something different.

I also agree with your summation of BBQ being both a high quality beer on its own but also acting as a gateway beer and I feel a bit hypocritical enjoying high ABV diabeetus stouts while also at one time claiming that a to-style-beer (BBQ) being too sweet for my liking.

I think the point I'd like to land on is that both BLVD and Reaper were operating on a level way above where I was at at the time and did it with grace while also pushing forward my beer appreciation...and consumption.
[Reply]
phisherman 07:04 PM 05-19-2023
Up in Madison for work and ran upon some super fresh Hop Butcher. Tonight's pour is Pizza Puff canned 8 days ago. Double IPA with Nectaron, Citra, Vic Secret and Superdelic.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:19 PM 05-20-2023
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Up in Madison for work and ran upon some super fresh Hop Butcher. Tonight's pour is Pizza Puff canned 8 days ago. Double IPA with Nectaron, Citra, Vic Secret and Superdelic.
Not sure what's behind it but we're getting regular drops of HB cans and kegs in east PHX

Either way I'm here for it
[Reply]
Pablo 03:49 PM 05-20-2023

Have a quad then a pastry stout and go blind instantly!
[Reply]
lewdog 05:32 PM 05-20-2023
I don’t regret moving to Phoenix 11 years ago. I love it here and what we’ve made our backyard into. Cheers to that!
Attached: IMG_5135.jpg (94.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 363 of 382
« First < 263313353359360361362363 364365366367373 > Last »
Up