ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 354 of 382
« First < 254304344350351352353354 355356357358364 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
phisherman 12:29 PM 10-08-2022
Big day for KC craft beer at GABF.

BKS Artisan Ales brings homes the gold medal in the English Mild category with Rockhill and Locust.

City Barrel brings home the bronze medal in the Juicy/Hazy IPA category (375 fucking entries!) with Rad AF.

River Bluff brings home a silver medal for its dark lager.

The Gladstone Whiskey Fest today will be a party today at the City Barrel table. We've got a ton of Rad on ice and ready to serve! Party time!
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:53 PM 10-08-2022
Originally Posted by Shag:
Absolutely a must visit in SD. Let me know the next time you come around, and I can make some recommendations, and probably meet up if you're game.

Tracked down some Dino Park, pretty tasty, glad I was able to find some. They're releasing another collab tomorrow, a TDH hazy DIPA called Pseudo-Fu! - 3 different citra varieties, so should be right up my alley.
Saw your name the other day and meant to go back and look at the recommendations you gave a while back.... I've been in Pacific Beach for about a week and will be here a little while.

Saw a concert in North Park last weekend, and holy crap I could spend some money on beer there. :-) :-)

Went to Craft House Burgers, which has Rip Current beer, and they had a pretty solid 17% stout. Tried Amplified Ale Works by the beach the other day and they had a couple of solid beers. Went to Modern Times last night and have loved their heavy stouts ever since moving to AZ.

I have Pure Project and North Park Brewing on my list, and spending more time around North Park in general..... so much beer, so little time.

Pure Project is my favorite in town, followed by Modern Times. A lot would depend on what part of town you're in, and I tend to prefer smaller breweries, but here are some more good options:
- North Park Brewing Co
- Fall
- Eppig
- Burgeon
- Pizza Port
- Societe

[Reply]
Saulbadguy 04:46 PM 10-08-2022
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Big day for KC craft beer at GABF.

BKS Artisan Ales brings homes the gold medal in the English Mild category with Rockhill and Locust.

City Barrel brings home the bronze medal in the Juicy/Hazy IPA category (375 fucking entries!) with Rad AF.

River Bluff brings home a silver medal for its dark lager.

The Gladstone Whiskey Fest today will be a party today at the City Barrel table. We've got a ton of Rad on ice and ready to serve! Party time!
Blind Tiger in Topeka got 2 golds and best overall for 1,001-2000 barrel
[Reply]
phisherman 07:24 PM 10-09-2022
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
Blind Tiger in Topeka got 2 golds and best overall for 1,001-2000 barrel
They've got a ton of GABF and World Beer Cup medals. John Dean knows what he's doing.
[Reply]
Shag 02:12 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Saw your name the other day and meant to go back and look at the recommendations you gave a while back.... I've been in Pacific Beach for about a week and will be here a little while.

Saw a concert in North Park last weekend, and holy crap I could spend some money on beer there. :-) :-)

Went to Craft House Burgers, which has Rip Current beer, and they had a pretty solid 17% stout. Tried Amplified Ale Works by the beach the other day and they had a couple of solid beers. Went to Modern Times last night and have loved their heavy stouts ever since moving to AZ.

I have Pure Project and North Park Brewing on my list, and spending more time around North Park in general..... so much beer, so little time.
Doh, just seeing this - came to post an update on the other NPBC/TG collab. You were in my neighborhood, too - I live in PB, bummer I missed you. Did you get out and enjoy more of the beer scene?
[Reply]
Shag 02:14 PM 10-17-2022
Absolutely a must visit in SD. Let me know the next time you come around, and I can make some recommendations, and probably meet up if you're game.

Tracked down some Dino Park, pretty tasty, glad I was able to find some. They're releasing another collab tomorrow, a TDH hazy DIPA called Pseudo-Fu! - 3 different citra varieties, so should be right up my alley.
NPBC ended up winning brewery of the year at GABF, which is pretty killer - they're putting out great beer. I ended up tracking down the other collab, Pseudo-Fu, which I enjoyed better than the Dino Park. If you see any, definitely grab it!
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:23 PM 10-17-2022
Doh, just seeing this - came to post an update on the other NPBC/TG collab. You were in my neighborhood, too - I live in PB, bummer I missed you. Did you get out and enjoy more of the beer scene?
I'm here for a couple more months.. would be funny if you were the guy with the Chiefs car flag that I waved to yesterday while crossing a street.

If you want to catch a Chiefs game or grab a beer, let me know... outside of friends in town in a couple weekends, I'm pretty open on the weekends or for a weeknight beer if it's close by.

I went to SD TapRoom yesterday before the game... they have Monster's Park on tap and have a pretty good bottle selection. Also hit up SD Wine & Beer Co for some Bottle Logic bottles this weekend.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:24 PM 10-17-2022
And funny story... got a flight yesterday with two pours of Monsters Park. Also had a pour of Belching Beaver Sticky Paws that I figured might be okay.

The numbers were all out of order from their sheet, but figured out two pours were the same, "pretty good" and not Monsters Park quality. And another pour that was exceptional (it was one of the 80 variants, so not one that's crystal clear by taste alone).

I went as far as getting samples of each, because I really didn't believe I got two pours of MP... but then their samples were the same, the far better beer was (allegedly!) the Belching Beaver.

So, either....
Belching Beaver Sticky Paws is phenomenal AND their MP keg wasn't great,
or they fucked up their kegs and labeled stuff wrong,
or they caught their mistake and were just really committed to covering up their mistake.

...KCU and lew will get a kick out of that story, since the same damn thing happened in Phoenix, where I was really skeptical they actually poured me Elijah Craig 18yr... :-)
[Reply]
Shag 05:24 PM 10-17-2022
I'm here for a couple more months.. would be funny if you were the guy with the Chiefs car flag that I waved to yesterday while crossing a street.

If you want to catch a Chiefs game or grab a beer, let me know... outside of friends in town in a couple weekends, I'm pretty open on the weekends or for a weeknight beer if it's close by.

I went to SD TapRoom yesterday before the game... they have Monster's Park on tap and have a pretty good bottle selection. Also hit up SD Wine & Beer Co for some Bottle Logic bottles this weekend.
Nice, let's do it. Next couple weeks are a little crazy, so maybe early Nov sometime? I won't be around on Sunday, but Home & Away in Old Town is a fun Chiefs bar.

TapRoom is my favorite bar, and definitely the best beer spot, in PB. Pretty good food for a bar, too. Amplified Ale Works is nearby and not too bad, plus a deck with a bit of a water view.

Check out PB Express Liquor, if you're after BL bottles - they usually have a number of options there. A little spendy, but overall good beer selection.

And funny story... got a flight yesterday with two pours of Monsters Park. Also had a pour of Belching Beaver Sticky Paws that I figured might be okay.

The numbers were all out of order from their sheet, but figured out two pours were the same, "pretty good" and not Monsters Park quality. And another pour that was exceptional (it was one of the 80 variants, so not one that's crystal clear by taste alone).

I went as far as getting samples of each, because I really didn't believe I got two pours of MP... but then their samples were the same, the far better beer was (allegedly!) the Belching Beaver.

So, either....
or they caught their mistake and were just really committed to covering up their mistake.

...KCU and lew will get a kick out of that story, since the same damn thing happened in Phoenix, where I was really skeptical they actually poured me Elijah Craig 18yr... :-)
This was at taproom? If you like those types of stouts, make sure you try any BA beers that are on at Pure Project.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 05:36 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by phisherman:
They've got a ton of GABF and World Beer Cup medals. John Dean knows what he's doing.
Certainly - when they stay in their lane (german style beers), they are outstanding.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:05 PM 10-17-2022
Nice, let's do it. Next couple weeks are a little crazy, so maybe early Nov sometime? I won't be around on Sunday, but Home & Away in Old Town is a fun Chiefs bar.

TapRoom is my favorite bar, and definitely the best beer spot, in PB. Pretty good food for a bar, too. Amplified Ale Works is nearby and not too bad, plus a deck with a bit of a water view.

Check out PB Express Liquor, if you're after BL bottles - they usually have a number of options there. A little spendy, but overall good beer selection.

This was at taproom? If you like those types of stouts, make sure you try any BA beers that are on at Pure Project.

Thanks, I saw Chiefs flags flying outside of/near Break Point, too, but haven't ventured there for a game (have also walked by a Raiders bar, which I guess could have been interesting last week, heh).

And thanks for the liquor store rec, probably never would have noticed it was there. I walked past Chip's Liquor the other day and they had a decent bourbon selection, but prices were all over the place (and no interesting beer). Bought 4 BLs the other day and could have bought more... they had several that were a year or two old, plus some new goodness.

Yeah, the possible mixup was at Taproom. I'll definitely check out Pure Project... will probably take another trip or two to North Park. Taproom had a couple of their own stouts... one was a collab with a meadery which was interesting, but the other one was pretty 'meh'.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:33 PM 10-17-2022

So, either....

You have the worst luck. :-)

Glad you're enjoying it there. Weather is finally nice here so I've been outside a ton and driveway drinking is upon us!
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:50 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You have the worst luck. :-)

Glad you're enjoying it there. Weather is finally nice here so I've been outside a ton and driveway drinking is upon us!
I'd be far less surprised about the bourbon though, which is why I didn't press on it at the time... I was surprised enough by the beer that I really freakin' wanted to know so I could order the right thing next time, and I still think they're wrong. :-):-)

Thanks, yeah it's perfect every time I walk outside, so as opposed to moving from my work desk to the couch in the late afternoon, I'm getting my ass outside everyday. Walked a mile to the driving range today and hit some golf balls (and it's only $10, and probably better for my health overall than TopGolf :-)).

Get to Fate Brewery in two weeks, their King Sized Candy Bar stout will be released!
[Reply]
Shag 09:03 PM 10-17-2022
Thanks, I saw Chiefs flags flying outside of/near Break Point, too, but haven't ventured there for a game (have also walked by a Raiders bar, which I guess could have been interesting last week, heh).

And thanks for the liquor store rec, probably never would have noticed it was there. I walked past Chip's Liquor the other day and they had a decent bourbon selection, but prices were all over the place (and no interesting beer). Bought 4 BLs the other day and could have bought more... they had several that were a year or two old, plus some new goodness.

Yeah, the possible mixup was at Taproom. I'll definitely check out Pure Project... will probably take another trip or two to North Park. Taproom had a couple of their own stouts... one was a collab with a meadery which was interesting, but the other one was pretty 'meh'.
I haven't been to Break Point for a game yet - it's pretty new, and just don't love the vibe of the place. Been meaning to check it out for a game, though.

The best beer shops in town are probably Bottlecraft and Bine & Vine, but neither are around PB, unfortunately (in/near North Park, though). SD Beer Week is also coming up the first week or so of Nov, should be some interesting releases/events that week. Looks like Barrel Aged Sunday on 11/6 at Pure Project North Park - that'll be dangerous.

I'm not a big Belching Beaver fan, but Sticky Pawz seems really well reviewed. Monster's Park is a great series of beer, so I'm super curious what the situation was there. Maybe I'll have to go check it out at some point.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:08 PM 10-17-2022
I'd be far less surprised about the bourbon though, which is why I didn't press on it at the time... I was surprised enough by the beer that I really freakin' wanted to know so I could order the right thing next time, and I still think they're wrong. :-):-)

Thanks, yeah it's perfect every time I walk outside, so as opposed to moving from my work desk to the couch in the late afternoon, I'm getting my ass outside everyday. Walked a mile to the driving range today and hit some golf balls (and it's only $10, and probably better for my health overall than TopGolf :-)).

Get to Fate Brewery in two weeks, their King Sized Candy Bar stout will be released!
Damn. I've never been to Fate Brewing but that sounds fantastic!
[Reply]
Page 354 of 382
« First < 254304344350351352353354 355356357358364 > Last »
Up