ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 34
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign Charles Omenihu
ShowtimeSBMVP 07:43 PM 03-14-2023

Breaking: FA DT Charles Omenihu is signing a two-year, $20M max deal with the #Chiefs, sources tell @theScore.

He's coming off his best season, tallying 16 quarterback hits and 28 initial pressures with #49ers. Omenihu's only 25 years old.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 15, 2023

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:10 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
He's on a rookie deal and is a good player. Why would they cut him?
We ended the season with Malik Herring and Josh Kaindoh on the roster.

And people think we're cutting Mike Danna?

There is a precisely ZERO percent chance that happens.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:13 AM 05-15-2023
Signing Omenihu and drafting DEs signals that Kaindoh and Herring have a 0.000000000001% chance of making the final 53 man roster.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:15 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
I've read a couple of articles lately saying that with the signing of Omenihu, and the drafting of 3 DE in the last 2 seasons, that Danna is at risk of being cut. I think that's crazy. There isn't enough dependable depth to move on from Danna this season. Right? I mean, Karlaftis is still developing, and we haven't even seen FAU and Johnson in pads yet. I mean, Johnson is even a late round pick. Keeping 5 DE seems like a logical move. The only way I see Danna being cut is if they bring in a vet, and even then, I don't know
Your take is correct.

They're not cutting Danna. The articles suggesting such are absolute garbage.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:27 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Signing Omenihu and drafting DEs signals that Kaindoh and Herring have a 0.000000000001% chance of making the final 53 man roster.
Correct.

THOSE are the guys that are out. And a veteran addition to the DE group might put Thompson at risk of a season on the IR.

But they aren't cutting Danna. Spags loved him BEFORE Cullen loved him. I suspect there's nobody in that DL room that the coaches flat out like more than Danna.

It's just dumb. I suspect it's some national writer with column inches to fill who's never heard of Danna so he's the guy they'll cut or some other such nonsense.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:31 AM 05-15-2023
Yeah this is just stupid. You keep productive players on rookie contracts unless you can get a very good Tyreek Hill like return on em. Hell you keep good pass rushers in general.

Mike Danna played in 13 games last year and had 35 QB pressures (25 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, 5 sacks), 17 stops, and 2 forced fumbles.

A 5th rusher off the bench that can provide that is exactly what your want. And he’s gotten better every single season. I’m confident that if he played all 17 games last year he ends up with at least 7 sacks and 45 total QB pressures. That’s a lot of value and also insurance in case injury occurs.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Danna is the most underrated player on this team. His impact isn’t seen or appreciated enough.

Example A: the first sack here that Frank collected. That was all Mike Danna destroying the G and forcing Burrow to hold the ball.

[Reply]
KCJake 09:52 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP:
He got arrested for domestic violence
She had it comin
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:30 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Correct.

THOSE are the guys that are out. And a veteran addition to the DE group might put Thompson at risk of a season on the IR.

But they aren't cutting Danna. Spags loved him BEFORE Cullen loved him. I suspect there's nobody in that DL room that the coaches flat out like more than Danna.

It's just dumb. I suspect it's some national writer with column inches to fill who's never heard of Danna so he's the guy they'll cut or some other such nonsense.
If any carryover player is more at risk of getting cut with the additions, I think it's Wharton (after Herring and Kaindoh, who should prep for a year on the PS). And even that seems ridiculous.

DL locks for the roster, have to be:

Jones
Nnadi
Coburn
Karlaftis
Omenihu
Anuduike-Uzomah
Danna

That's 7 dudes. They're probably going to have 8-9 on the active roster. I'd guess they add a veteran DE to the mix, though I'd love to see them add another experienced DT who is stout vs. the run.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:18 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If any carryover player is more at risk of getting cut with the additions, I think it's Wharton (after Herring and Kaindoh, who should prep for a year on the PS). And even that seems ridiculous.

DL locks for the roster, have to be:

Jones
Nnadi
Coburn
Karlaftis
Omenihu
Anuduike-Uzomah
Danna

That's 7 dudes. They're probably going to have 8-9 on the active roster. I'd guess they add a veteran DE to the mix, though I'd love to see them add another experienced DT who is stout vs. the run.
I don't know if Nnadi is a lock, he's been so bad and it costs nothing to cut him.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:28 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I don't know if Nnadi is a lock, he's been so bad and it costs nothing to cut him.

If they add a vet DT, I agree with you. I guess I’ve lost faith they’re going to add a vet who can be a starter.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:43 AM 05-15-2023
I wonder what the deal with Shelby Harris is. That signing just seems like kind of a no brainer to add to the DL.

Maybe he hit the vet wall. He’s going to be 32 when the season starts, so maybe the coaches tape shows a guy that’s done…but I always thought he was one of the best players on Denver’s defense.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:34 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I wonder what the deal with Shelby Harris is. That signing just seems like kind of a no brainer to add to the DL.

Maybe he hit the vet wall. He’s going to be 32 when the season starts, so maybe the coaches tape shows a guy that’s done…but I always thought he was one of the best players on Denver’s defense.

Yeah, you’d think a team looking for some pass rush juice from inside might do that.

Maybe all the DEs who are now reduced to interior rush roles in obvious passing downs are limiting the market for DTs like Harris a bit?
[Reply]
Jamie 03:20 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I agree in principle, but I don't think the chances are that low. They always keep more DL than we think they will, they kept 10 last year. But I do think it's basically impossible that both of those guys make it.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:15 PM 06-23-2023
According to PFF, Omenihu was 6th in pass rush win rate at DE and 1st at DT. Yes ahead of Chris Jones.

Smaller sample size then Chris but the point stands: Jones and Omenihu rushing next to each other on 3rd down is gonna be a major problem for OL’s.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:21 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
According to PFF, Omenihu was 6th in pass rush win rate at DE and 1st at DT. Yes ahead of Chris Jones.

Smaller sample size then Chris but the point stands: Jones and Omenihu rushing next to each other on 3rd down is gonna be a major problem for OL’s.
Our defense is going to surprise A LOT of people.

The national media and the average fan have no idea what kind of impact Omenihu, Tranquil, and Edwards will have.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:44 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If they add a vet DT, I agree with you. I guess I’ve lost faith they’re going to add a vet who can be a starter.
They just don't value that spot much for whatever reason. They probably feel set between Nnadi and Shelton.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 34
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Up