ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 116 of 3903
« First < 1666106112113114115116 1171181191201261662166161116 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 12:09 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
The economic consequences for one.

When Austin, Texas cancels SXSW, that is $350+ million in lost local business.
You aren't stopping the consequences either way. It's too late for that. I've said that for a couple weeks now and it looks more true now than ever. This thing is going to dent the economy. It's just a matter of how much.

Even if you don't cancel events, people aren't going to want to go to games or movies or restaurants when this thing becomes really widespread. Or when a large group of people get sick themselves. That's no reason to panic and people do get too hysterical, but there's no way to stop this thing. It's just common sense. How do you stop a virus you have no treatment for and can be in your body for two weeks before showing symptoms? The only way is to keep people from interacting and spreading it around.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:11 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
The only way is to keep people from interacting and spreading it around.
Which means "social distancing" and travel bans are never going away.

Just so we're clear.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 12:17 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Most places aren't going to be giving refunds if they don't cancel the event.
Concerts are going to be cheap
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:20 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

Just so we're clear.
America has done stuff like this before and those specific actions went away.

St. Louis saw the deadly 1918 Spanish flu epidemic coming. Shutting down the city saved countless lives

Originally Posted by :
In early October, city health commissioner Dr. Max C. Starkloff ordered the closure of schools, movie theaters, saloons, sporting events and other public gathering spots. Churches were told to suspend Sunday services. At the time, with nearly 800,000 residents, St. Louis was among the top 10 largest American cities.
Originally Posted by :
With the flu continuing its rampage, Starkloff imposed a stricter quarantine in November, closing down all businesses with few exceptions including banks, newspapers, embalmers and coffin makers, according to Post-Dispatch archives.
Originally Posted by :
The quarantine was temporarily lifted Nov. 18 but reinstated when the flu roared back in December. By Dec. 10 the flu peaked in the city with 60 deaths in one day. After illnesses declined sharply, the quarantine was lifted just after Christmas.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...785692bb5.html
[Reply]
Mecca 12:22 PM 03-11-2020

Just so we're clear.
There goes my vacation....
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:23 PM 03-11-2020

Just so we're clear.
I'm thinking you may be underestimating the corporate lobby's influence on American politics.

People traveling less = less money for corporations and less money for everyone.
[Reply]
Donger 12:23 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
closing down all businesses with few exceptions including banks, newspapers, embalmers and coffin makers
Gotta have priorities, after all.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:25 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I'm thinking you may be underestimating the corporate lobby's influence on American politics.

People traveling less = less money for corporations and less money for everyone.
Wait till people who aren't allowed to go to work don't have to pay their bills like Italy...I'm sure that will get a great reaction from everyone.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:26 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
There goes my vacation....
I'm guessing I won't be traveling in June.

Wondering if Ticketmaster will honor a refund if the concert I've got tickets to cancels due to COVID19
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:28 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
The economic consequences for one.

When Austin, Texas cancels SXSW, that is $350+ million in lost local business.
On a national basis, I would think that the economic losses will be net zero, other than international arrivals. If I don't go to the market research conference in Atlanta, I'll probably stay here and buy a bunch of ice cream and pay-per-view movies instead. And some person in Atlanta won't come to the dog training conference in Denver, so they'll stay home and buy a bunch of yogurt and a bowflex machine.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:30 PM 03-11-2020
I'm guessing I won't be traveling in June.

Wondering if Ticketmaster will honor a refund if the concert I've got tickets to cancels due to COVID19
I'm supposed to go to Cancun for a week in June.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 12:31 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Did you seriously just cite a source disproving your own argument? I don't think that says what you think it says.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:32 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I'm supposed to go to Cancun for a week in June.
:-)

Yeah you're not gonna be there. Good luck on getting all the refunds you can while you can.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:33 PM 03-11-2020
colleges closing like crazy.

Iowa
Minnesota
Grinnell
Mich St.
Harvard
[Reply]
Mecca 12:33 PM 03-11-2020
:-)

Yeah you're not gonna be there. Good luck on getting all the refunds you can while you can.
Man it was this badass resort too....god damn it.
[Reply]
Page 116 of 3903
« First < 1666106112113114115116 1171181191201261662166161116 > Last »
Up