ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 319
< 123 45671353103 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:40 PM 02-08-2021
Some really need to hit the brakes a little and take a step back. Yeah there are holes and moves to be made, yeah we need to draft well again, but there’s a lot of good, cheap young talent already on the roster to pair with some obviously great veteran players.

With Niang and LDT coming back, you could maybe sign Osemele back for the minimum I think, that’s a start with the line. Damien Williams coming back is a forgotten but important piece. Ideally adding two major speed elements on defense with good Thornhill and Gay. I wonder if they move Sneed back out to outside CB cause I felt like his upside there was top notch. There are a lot of answers already in place.

I said last week this team will be set up to get back to the SB in a major way for 2021 and I still believe that looking at the offseason picture.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:55 AM 02-09-2021
How about signing Osemele and Jason Kelce if he’s indeed released...

Your interior is solidified then with LDT returning.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:00 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:

We don’t even know when Osemele is going to be back.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:02 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:

Osemele tore up both knees. Maybe we can revisit in a year or two.

On Kelce, of course you do that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:02 PM 02-09-2021
Task #1: Figure out the Eric Fisher contract situation. My guess is that they want to keep him and he'll be ready by late October. The problem is that he only has 1 year left on his contract and a $12M cap hit. Kind of hard to extend him when he's just starting an Achilles rehab but also hard to just cut him and take the cap hit if he plans on coming back. So they're going to have to get creative there.

Task #2: Do something with Frank Clark's contract. Dude needs to take a pay cut but the Chiefs have very little leverage unfortunately. I think what ends up happening is he gets extended, lowering his 2021 cap hit but kicking the can down the road again. The other option is to eat his salary for 2021 and cut him after the season, which I just don't see the Chiefs doing.

Task #3: Extend Matthieu. Get some cap space and give him some guarantees. He's the heart of the defense, make sure he's here for the rest of his career.

Task #4: Rework Chris Jones' deal. That should give some cap space as well and his contract seems to be structured to do exactly this.

Task #5: Figure out who you want to replace Schwartz and if he's not on the team, go get him. Don't care if it's a FA, trade, the draft, or whatever. Just make sure you've got a guy you believe in at that spot going into the season.

Task #6. Figure out who you want to replace Reiter. See #5 above.

Task #7: Figure out who you want to replace Sammy Watkins. See #5 again.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:06 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Task #1: Figure out the Eric Fisher contract situation. My guess is that they want to keep him and he'll be ready by late October. The problem is that he only has 1 year left on his contract and a $12M cap hit. Kind of hard to extend him when he's just starting an Achilles rehab but also hard to just cut him and take the cap hit if he plans on coming back. So they're going to have to get creative there.

Task #2: Do something with Frank Clark's contract. Dude needs to take a pay cut but the Chiefs have very little leverage unfortunately. I think what ends up happening is he gets extended, lowering his 2021 cap hit but kicking the can down the road again. The other option is to eat his salary for 2021 and cut him after the season, which I just don't see the Chiefs doing.

Task #3: Extend Matthieu. Get some cap space and give him some guarantees. He's the heart of the defense, make sure he's here for the rest of his career.

Task #4: Rework Chris Jones' deal. That should give some cap space as well and his contract seems to be structured to do exactly this.

Task #5: Figure out who you want to replace Schwartz and if he's not on the team, go get him. Don't care if it's a FA, trade, the draft, or whatever. Just make sure you've got a guy you believe in at that spot going into the season.

That's a good list and puts the #1 pick in play for the most talented guy who can check one of these important boxes.

1.Can play tackle
2.Replace Watkins
3.Rush the passer
[Reply]
Pants 12:07 PM 02-09-2021

Don't you feel like between Niang, Durant, and Remmers we have RT covered? I realize Remmers is a UFA but I'm guessing he would re-sign.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:08 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
That's a good list and puts the #1 pick in play for the most talented guy who can check one of these important boxes.

1.Can play tackle
2.Replace Watkins
3.Rush the passer
Those would be at the top of my draft list, yes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:09 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
Don't you feel like between Niang, Durant, and Remmers we have RT covered? I realize Remmers is a UFA but I'm guessing he would re-sign.
Niang and Durant are unproven at best and Remmers is a backup.

I don't think RT is covered at all, especially if any of those 3 are called up to sub for Fisher for a spell.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 12:12 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
We don’t even know when Osemele is going to be back.
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Osemele tore up both knees. Maybe we can revisit in a year or two.

On Kelce, of course you do that.
I know we don’t know exactly where he’s at, but if he can play, it seems clear he loves it here and will play for the minimum. IF he can play, it’s a no brainer.

We need all the value signings we can get moving forward. Hopefully a Jason Kelce is willing to come play for much less than he maybe deserves just for that one shot to win with Travis.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 12:13 PM 02-09-2021

Frank Clark is making $26.3 million in 2022 and $27.8 million in 2023, do you really want to see them kick the can down the road and see that 2023 number go up to $30 million? That's an insane contract for someone who isn't even a top 20 DE in the NFL.
[Reply]
O.city 12:15 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
We've already wasted two..

It's going to be difficult to maintain this level of playoff consistency. We needed to cash in these last three years. I'm glad we got one and understand you can't win them all but I'm thinking we should have at least two.

We've got a lot of holes to fill. Outside of Niang coming back and being a Quentin Nelson type of presence to transform this OL, I don't see any quick fixes.

I think Mahomes will keep us competitive though. I'd guess probably an 11-5 or 12-4 kind of season incoming. Give or take a win based on injuries/lucky breaks.
lol really?

If wasting years is 3 straight afc champ games, 2 sb appearances and 1 win I hope we waste a bunch.

The pats and Brady have skewed so many people’s thinking on these things it’s hilarious.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:16 PM 02-09-2021
Fucking hell that Clark contract sucks.
[Reply]
mkp785 12:16 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Frank Clark is making $26.3 million in 2022 and $27.8 million in 2023, do you really want to see them kick the can down the road and see that 2023 number go up to $30 million? That's an insane contract for someone who isn't even a top 20 DE in the NFL.
This. We find his replacement this year or next and let him go in the 22 offseason if he doesn't agree to a payout. In a perfect world we trade out of the 1st round altogether and get someone's 1st next year, they stink and we can grab a monster DE.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:21 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
lol really?

If wasting years is 3 straight afc champ games, 2 sb appearances and 1 win I hope we waste a bunch.

The pats and Brady have skewed so many people’s thinking on these things it’s hilarious.

It sounds a bit elitist, but yeah. We’ve got the best player in the world, one of the best coaches, a bunch of studs on the roster and (what appears to be) a great front office. It’s disappointing when we don’t win the whole thing.

I understand how hard it is and that’s exactly why I say we “wasted” those two years by getting so close and not taking home the hardware. The one Lombardi is great and comforted me after the loss in the 2018 AFCCG and this last Super Bowl, but realistically we should have cashed in on one more in these last three years.

It’s only going to get more difficult as time moves on.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 319
< 123 45671353103 > Last »
Up