ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 33
« First < 212728293031 3233 >
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:28 AM 08-19-2023
Originally Posted by stumppy:
There's no new Gorn. There is a completely new alien they call a Gorn.

They ****ed up the canon.

Even though the original Gorn was a clunky, cheesy costume they could have based the SNW Gorn off of that and came up with 'modernized' Gorn without throwing canon out the door.

They ****ed it up!
Absolutely can't upset the canon.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:24 PM 08-19-2023
Originally Posted by stumppy:
There's no new Gorn. There is a completely new alien they call a Gorn.

They ****ed up the canon.

Even though the original Gorn was a clunky, cheesy costume they could have based the SNW Gorn off of that and came up with 'modernized' Gorn without throwing canon out the door.

They ****ed it up!
You know this is a new multiverse now right? There is no canon since Kirk changed it. Everything and anything can be done.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:04 PM 08-19-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
You know this is a new multiverse now right? There is no canon since Kirk changed it. Everything and anything can be done.
The only change to the timeline involved the Jar Jar Abrams movies (the last three, starring Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Kirk and Spock). That is referred to as the Kelvin timeline. Discovery and Strange New Worlds have absolutely nothing to do with that. Discovery even used scenes from the original Star Trek pilot that was shot in 1964, starring Jeffrey Hunter, the original Captain Pike.

They've tapdanced around canon, and fucked it up a bit, but it is still in place.
[Reply]
4th and Long 08:52 PM 08-19-2023

[Reply]
4th and Long 08:53 PM 08-19-2023

[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:54 PM 08-20-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The only change to the timeline involved the Jar Jar Abrams movies (the last three, starring Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Kirk and Spock). That is referred to as the Kelvin timeline. Discovery and Strange New Worlds have absolutely nothing to do with that. Discovery even used scenes from the original Star Trek pilot that was shot in 1964, starring Jeffrey Hunter, the original Captain Pike.

They've tapdanced around canon, and ****ed it up a bit, but it is still in place.
Kirk has a brother. He didn’t grow up in Iowa. That’s not canon
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:18 PM 08-20-2023
Kirk has a brother in the proper timeline. There's a TOS episode that covers his death (it was Shatner in a moustache as I recall).

As far as not growing up in Iowa, I'm pretty sure alternate timeline Kirk said that to La'an in the Toronto time travel episode. He still grew up in Iowa in the proper timeline.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:33 PM 08-20-2023
Seriously, have you ever even watched Star Trek?

Kirk had a brother, George Samuel Kirk, who died in a TOS episode. He was portrayed by Shatner himself, with a mustache, lying dead on the surface of whatever planet they found him on.

As for the Iowa part, to the best of my recollection, the first mention of him being from Iowa was in the novelization of the first movie, dating back to 1979. The first mention of him being from Iowa in an actual movie was in Star Trek IV, which came out in 1986. The exact quote was "No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space." In any event, it has been established for decades that Kirk is from Iowa; specifically, Riverside, Iowa.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:12 AM 08-21-2023

Kirk had a brother, George Samuel Kirk, who died in a TOS episode. He was portrayed by Shatner himself, with a mustache, lying dead on the surface of whatever planet they found him on.

As for the Iowa part, to the best of my recollection, the first mention of him being from Iowa was in the novelization of the first movie, dating back to 1979. The first mention of him being from Iowa in an actual movie was in Star Trek IV, which came out in 1986. The exact quote was "No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space." In any event, it has been established for decades that Kirk is from Iowa; specifically, Riverside, Iowa.

I know this is unrelated to your post, but now that the episode has been out a while - what did you think of the introduction of Scotty? I thought it was done well. I liked the character immediately, and I bought the actor as a younger version of the character. I'm imagining that he's going to have a lot to do with the Enterprise surviving the next season opener.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:10 PM 08-21-2023
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I know this is unrelated to your post, but now that the episode has been out a while - what did you think of the introduction of Scotty? I thought it was done well. I liked the character immediately, and I bought the actor as a younger version of the character. I'm imagining that he's going to have a lot to do with the Enterprise surviving the next season opener.
I thought he was a good choice. Certainly more Scotty-like than the Kirk guy is Kirk-like.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:53 PM 08-21-2023

I consulted the book The Making of Star Trek, from 1968, co-authored by Roddenberry, that I've had since the 70s. It contains the original biographies of the initial crew, and identifies Kirk as being from Iowa and having a brother named Sam. So I guess this stuff has always been canon; even before the canon was canon.
[Reply]
gh4chiefs 01:55 PM 08-21-2023
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I know this is unrelated to your post, but now that the episode has been out a while - what did you think of the introduction of Scotty?
They brought Scotty in? Well shit, may have to watch this after all.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:56 PM 08-21-2023
Originally Posted by gh4chiefs:
You could, but you'd have to somehow get passed the fact that the Gorn don't look ridiculous enough.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:28 PM 08-21-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Kirk has a brother in the proper timeline. There's a TOS episode that covers his death (it was Shatner in a moustache as I recall).

As far as not growing up in Iowa, I'm pretty sure alternate timeline Kirk said that to La'an in the Toronto time travel episode. He still grew up in Iowa in the proper timeline.
*In the alt-timeline episode, Kirk told La'an he was born in space, on the USS Iowa.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:42 AM 08-22-2023
Originally Posted by gh4chiefs:
Yeah, and I think they did a pretty good job of presenting a younger version of the character. I'm hoping he has a major part in the next season.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 33
« First < 212728293031 3233 >
Up