ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 33
« First < 202627282930 313233 >
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:23 AM 08-16-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:

Speaking of Gorn from TOS, the dude from inside the suit is going to be at the ICT Comicon 8/26 to 8/27.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:37 PM 08-16-2023
Originally Posted by Lzen:
He's not talking about making the special effects much better, he's talking about writing characters to be much more than they were originally. Why is that so hard?
Because he's an idiotic asshole, dug in like a tick, arguing for the sake of the argument. That's why. There's really nothing left to say about it.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:01 PM 08-16-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Because he's an idiotic asshole, dug in like a tick, arguing for the sake of the argument. That's why. There's really nothing left to say about it.
The pot calling the kettle black if there ever was one.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:53 PM 08-16-2023
Didn't have that bad of a time with the musical. Episode 10 was terrific but those kinds of endings suck ass.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:29 PM 08-16-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Didn't have that bad of a time with the musical. Episode 10 was terrific but those kinds of endings suck ass.
TNG did that every year. It’s not unusual.
[Reply]
007 04:23 PM 08-17-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
TNG did that every year. It’s not unusual.

Yes but they had 26 episodes to burn. SNW only had 10. It's wasting an episode.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:39 AM 08-18-2023
Originally Posted by 007:
Yes but they had 26 episodes to burn. SNW only had 10. It's wasting an episode.
Episode 10 should have been 9, episode 10 should have finished the 2 episode sequence. Again, I wasn't offended by the musical, but it wasn't worth letting us end like that.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:28 AM 08-18-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
True. Points have been made with clarity. He's either too stupid to understand them or too dishonest to have a genuine conversation about them. Moving on.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 01:30 PM 08-18-2023
I'm just gonna go with the brain cannon that the Gorn that Kirk went up against was an ultra old Gorn living out his days on a Gorn hospice planet and he still almost got worked.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:22 PM 08-18-2023
Originally Posted by listopencil:
True. Points have been made with clarity. He's either too stupid to understand them or too dishonest to have a genuine conversation about them. Moving on.
Still waiting for a response to my question about why their depiction now isn't actually the Gorn.
[Reply]
Jamie 03:03 PM 08-18-2023
Really if they wanted to there are any number of ways to explain away the differences.

1. Genetic modification. Might be good to give a counter to the "genetic modification ain't so bad" POV the show has had so far.
2. Gorn Hulk out on their reproductive cycle. Like Gorn Pon Farr.
3. Gorn are like a reverse beehive. SNW Gorn are female drones, TOS Gorn is a male king.

That's just 3 of the top of my head.
[Reply]
gh4chiefs 03:53 PM 08-18-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Didn't have that bad of a time with the musical..
In perusing the internet, I seem to be that one long time fan who absolutely LOATHED the musical episode to the level I do. LOL I think I would have respected them more if they would have said "F it, we're doing a musical" instead of trying to explain it away as a space anomaly. I just can't get past that. It was the metaphorical "2 X 4 hit between the eyes" that kind of made me step back and say "I don't think I want to watch this anymore."

I had somebody say to me "That might have worked better as a Lower Decks episode." And after thinking about it, I probably wouldn't have give it another thought had they done that. I still wouldn't have liked it, but I don't take LD all that serious anyway and it wouldn't have "triggered" me. LOL
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:37 PM 08-18-2023
Still waiting for a response to my question about why their depiction now isn't actually the Gorn.
And unsurprisingly (considering your latest down vote), I'm gonna keep waiting.

The only possible answer to that question, of course, is that the Gorn being depicted now bear little similarity to how they were in the TOS era (and instead bear a striking resemblance to the Alien xenomorphs). Which means your odd complaints that they weren't done well by the SNW producers (despite the almost unanimous praise for them by the fans of the show) would logically have to be directly tied to their depiction not being close enough to the 1960s television version (silly clunky costume and all).

Next time I guess they should really consider something less cool and more ridiculous in making good TV. We can't upset the canon, right?
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:36 PM 08-18-2023
And unsurprisingly (considering your latest down vote), I'm gonna keep waiting.

The only possible answer to that question, of course, is that the Gorn being depicted now bear little similarity to how they were in the TOS era (and instead bear a striking resemblance to the Alien xenomorphs). Which means your odd complaints that they weren't done well by the SNW producers (despite the almost unanimous praise for them by the fans of the show) would logically have to be directly tied to their depiction not being close enough to the 1960s television version (silly clunky costume and all).

Next time I guess they should really consider something less cool and more ridiculous in making good TV. We can't upset the canon, right?

It makes the Kelvin timeline McCoy " C section on a pregnant Gorn" quote out of place which would go against the xenomorph narrative that SNW is pushing
[Reply]
stumppy 09:48 PM 08-18-2023
There's no new Gorn. There is a completely new alien they call a Gorn.

They fucked up the canon.

Even though the original Gorn was a clunky, cheesy costume they could have based the SNW Gorn off of that and came up with 'modernized' Gorn without throwing canon out the door.

They fucked it up!
[Reply]
Page 30 of 33
« First < 202627282930 313233 >
Up