ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 33
« First < 131920212223 24252627 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
gh4chiefs 12:27 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Spock should be at the top. He's the most naturally compelling character of the series. Followed closely if not eventually eclipsed by Pike because he should be the central character of this series. After that it's hit or miss depending on the actors involved and how the parts are being written.
As I've said previously, I come to realize the show isn't written for me. I erroneously thought we were going to get a Pike-Spock-Number One centric series because that was the trio we saw on Discovery. Clearly that's not what they're going for, and I guess I should have not been surprised.

It is what it is, just not what I wanted and thought it would be. I probably will watch tomorrow's episode just because I've come this far, but I'm not the least bit excited about it. With the ongoing strikes, God only knows when they'll have another season and I couldn't care less.

EDIT TO ADD: A good friend of mine, a long term ST fan messaged me this the other day:

"I never thought I'd say this, but they can quit making new Star Trek series if this is the best they can do."

I can't say I disagree.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:27 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I guess they should have called it Star Trek - Super New Characters!
I'm not really sure what you're arguing at this point and I'm not sure you do either. Is it that you only want 3 good developed characters and nothing else? If so, just go back and watch TOS reruns.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:28 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
They had a good/great episode just two weeks ago in E8.
I know. That was a great episode. That last scene at the very end of the episode was damn near perfect. Get back to that.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:28 PM 08-09-2023
No, a bad episode isn't a 'me' problem. It's a 'show' problem. My opinion of the show is going to be based on...the show.
Guess which other Trek shows also had bad episodes? Every single one of them. Yes, even TNG and DS9 (and plenty of them in both cases). It didn't mean the shows were bad.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:30 PM 08-09-2023
I know. That was a great episode. That last scene at the very end of the episode was damn near perfect. Get back to that.
Get back to the thing they released a week and a half ago, I guess.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:30 PM 08-09-2023
Guess which other Trek shows also had bad episodes? Every single one of them. Yes, even TNG and DS9 (and plenty of them in both cases). It didn't mean the shows were bad.
I'm well aware. I still bear the scars of Spock's Brain. No more of that.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:31 PM 08-09-2023
Get back to the thing they released a week and a half ago, I guess.
Get back to the quality of the show as it was in that episode and stop feeding us bullshit.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:31 PM 08-09-2023
I'm well aware. I still bear the scars of Spock's Brain. No more of that.
If SNW really wanted to pay homage to TOS, they should start throwing in some real bad ones like that.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:32 PM 08-09-2023
If SNW really wanted to pay homage to TOS, they should start throwing in some real bad ones like that.
No. Don't even say that out loud.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:33 PM 08-09-2023
Get back to the quality of the show as it was in that episode and stop feeding us bullshit.
Your standards might just be a tiny bit too high for a Trek series. It was a week and a half ago.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:34 PM 08-09-2023
No. Don't even say that out loud.
The way they're experimenting in some of these episodes, you know something everyone is gonna absolutely hate is coming in S3. I look forward to it.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:39 PM 08-09-2023
The way they're experimenting in some of these episodes, you know something everyone is gonna absolutely hate is coming in S3. I look forward to it.
I thought it was pretty ballsy of them to do that fantasy episode in season one, and so was the decision to do the musical episode this year. They've been the best Trek going on (other than Picard season 3) for quite a while so they can afford to take chances. But stop with the weak storytelling shortcuts.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:09 PM 08-09-2023
I thought it was pretty ballsy of them to do that fantasy episode in season one, and so was the decision to do the musical episode this year. They've been the best Trek going on (other than Picard season 3) for quite a while so they can afford to take chances. But stop with the weak storytelling shortcuts.
Honestly, if S2 had been S1, I'd be pretty damn happy with it. Even with the musical episode.

ETA: despite my carping about S1 being better, I love S2 as well. Have enjoyed the hell out of S2.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:52 PM 08-09-2023
I'm not really sure what you're arguing at this point and I'm not sure you do either. Is it that you only want 3 good developed characters and nothing else? If so, just go back and watch TOS reruns.
I'm quite sure I know what I want, and I've been fairly clear about it. I want more of the things that made me actually like Star Trek. More exploration. More space battles. A good recurring villain would be nice. What I need less of is Mary Sue communications officers, Vulcan love triangles and fucking singing.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:31 PM 08-09-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I'm quite sure I know what I want, and I've been fairly clear about it. I want more of the things that made me actually like Star Trek. More exploration. More space battles. A good recurring villain would be nice. What I need less of is Mary Sue communications officers, Vulcan love triangles and ****ing singing.
So TOS reruns it is then.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 33
« First < 131920212223 24252627 > Last »
Up