ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
Garcia Bronco 01:03 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by nmt1

Sweet! I'm a huge Satriani fan.
I wouldn't mind having one of the JS series models.
I've heard bad things about the Floyd Rose trems. Why does it bother you?
New strings pure and simple. After I put them on I tune the thing and lock it down. Then I have to fine tune it. After an hour I have to redo the process. Samething the next day.

Now I just use a standard bridge. I also have a seven string. It has a low B, then e,a,d,g,b,e. An ovation legend cut away. I also play a little mandolin which is the bottom 4 strings of a 6 string reversed(so g,d,a,e) like a violin.
[Reply]
nmt1 01:36 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Garcia Bronco

New strings pure and simple. After I put them on I tune the thing and lock it down. Then I have to fine tune it. After an hour I have to redo the process. Samething the next day.

Now I just use a standard bridge. I also have a seven string. It has a low B, then e,a,d,g,b,e. An ovation legend cut away. I also play a little mandolin which is the bottom 4 strings of a 6 string reversed(so g,d,a,e) like a violin.
Sounds like a Floyd Rose is more trouble than it's worth.
[Reply]
Pennywise 02:07 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by BrainCase

Here's my latest covert purchase, on its way from Ottawa, Canada.

I posted earlier about a favorite Ibanez PR1440. This is a PR1880, and I've always been a sucker for natural finishes.
Sweet man...
[Reply]
headsnap 02:10 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by nmt1

Sounds like a Floyd Rose is more trouble than it's worth.
any 'floating' trem is going to be a pain. When one string goes out of tune all the others follow. All my guitars with floyds(except the Jackson) have bolts fastened inside the guitars preventing the floyds from being pulled back, essentially a fixed bridge that I can dive bomb with.
[Reply]
Braincase 03:26 PM 10-03-2002
On the topic of chords and scales, I highly recommend The Guitar Grimoire series. I have several of the books, the Chord Encyclopaedia and the Chords & Voicings are particularly dog eared. There's another one with every single scale in every single mode with every single position.

These tools were invaluable is the study of sweep picking, as it allowed me to create my own sweep picking exercises. It's a trip how fast you can learn to play complete shred scales once you learn how to sweep.

Also, Joe Satriani's columns from the 80's Guitar World magazines and for his explanation of chord theory. Invaluable stuff, along with articles by Rick Emmett and Frank Gambale.

It's all good!
[Reply]
headsnap 03:44 PM 10-03-2002
sign up for the Guitar Tip of the Day and the Guitar Riff of the Day on Harmony Central. That should give you plenty to keep yourself busy with.

http://music.harmony-central.com/tipzine/join.php

also try out their BBS, it's pretty active.
[Reply]
nmt1 02:15 PM 10-29-2002
Got a Line 6 Guitar Port from Mars on Saturday. They are closing their stores here and have everything reduced. Just had to pick it up. Got it for $134. I've played around with it a little but I'm just scratching the surface. It awesome!

Guitar Port
Attached: gport-hp-no-background.gif (10.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Pennywise 03:21 PM 10-29-2002
Excellent man! :-)

I still haven't got one yet. :-)

Are you going to sign up for the online thing?

I think its only 8 bucks a month or so...
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:23 PM 10-29-2002
I used to have an Ibanez 570 but the Floyd Rose is a monstrous pain in the ass...

I don't play anything that doesn't have a fixed bridge nowadays...I have a Washburn BT Custom that is just awesome...
[Reply]
mcan 08:20 PM 10-29-2002
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Yeah, I have an Ibanez S series 470 FM. The floating tremelo was a huge pain in the ass for the first year. Then, I got the hang of it. The trick is to NOT experiment with any weird guages of strings. Change your strings often. And stretch them out well before you lock them down. Otherwise, the bottom strings stretch and go flat, and than takes pressure off the bridge and likewise the top strings all go sharp. It can get really confusing in a pinch, so I also keep my strat on hand.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 03:11 PM 09-17-2022
Anyone wanna post the embedded link up? I'm on my phone.

https://youtu.be/ZN5EBgLiMmo
[Reply]
Lzen 02:10 PM 09-19-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Anyone wanna post the embedded link up? I'm on my phone.

https://youtu.be/ZN5EBgLiMmo
Yup.

[Reply]
Lzen 02:37 PM 09-19-2022
Wow, this thread is great. I just read through the entire thread. What a trip down memory lane.

It's amazing where I was 20 years ago compared to where I am now. Things have gone in a different direction, for sure. When this thread started, I had just been in a 5 piece rock band playing originals with just a few covers mixed in. Today, just a 2 man acoustic act. Same singer, though. Heck, I'm even getting into the singing and playing a bit. We play covers with just a couple of originals mixed in. This actually started as a regroup about 7 years ago of the same 3 of us founding members (from back in 96). We had a 4 piece band and were doing well. Similar thing happened as the drummer quit suddenly and we were stuck with not being able to continue. This town sucks for musicians. Not complaining, though, as the singer and I now have a good thing going.

Never bought the Carvin acoustic guitars but, I do now own a couple of Martin acoustics (X Series Special GPCPA5 Grand Performance Acoustic-Electric & OMC-16E Ovangkol Burst Acoustic-Electric Guitar Natural) . I tried Taylors (a friend at work had a nice Taylor and then bought another one when they started making cheaper ones) but I quickly realized that I prefer Martins.

These are the only (somewhat) expensive guitars that I ever owned and this includes a Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX Plus - Midnight Sapphire electric that I bought when we were in the full band. Not trying to brag but it is fun to think how I would have loved to have the income back in those days that I do now to be able to buy better quality equipment. Oh well, I still feel like we made great music.
[Reply]
Lzen 03:22 PM 09-21-2022
So it seems that some things never change. I was a Musicians Friend fanboy back when this thread was started and I guess I am still to a certain extent. Though I would probably say Sweetwater is just a tad better.

Anyway, they have a stupid deal of the day on Acoustic A1000 Acoustic Instrument Amp - $300

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...10059000000000

I have also been looking at a couple of Fender acoustic amps.

I really like this one. It has several effects which I probably wouldn't need a lot but they are kind of nice to have. The amp is beautiful, IMO. But some of the comments are saying it's too much bass. That would probably annoy me if I couldn't get that dialed back enough.

Fender Acoustic 100 100W 1x8 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amplifier
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ombo-amplifier

And there's the newer line.
Fender Acoustic Jr 100W 1x8 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amplifier Dark Brown Vinyl
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...+CVV+MFWPDPT+2
These actually have effects like those others (chorus, delay, reverb, etc.) but also a looper. That would be kind of fun. I currently have a Boss looper pedal on my pedalboard but it's got it's limitations/drawbacks. The kickstand is a nice feature, though I don't know that it tilts back far enough for my liking (might not be very useful while standing and playing). Oh, and this one has a built in rechargeable lithium ion battery with five hours playing time at full volume, 12 hours at moderate volume. That might be a useful feature once in awhile. Of course, this one is a little more expensive and I would probably need to also purchase the pedal to make good use of the looper.

What say you? What do my fellow guitar players here think? Which would you recommend?

Edit: on those last 2, I would probably buy from Sweetwater because they might be able to get me an additional 10% off.
[Reply]
nmt1 11:20 AM 10-30-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by PennyWise
Excellent man! :-)

I still haven't got one yet. :-)

Are you going to sign up for the online thing?

I think its only 8 bucks a month or so...
I'm considering it. I'd be able to jam by myself without using tapes. Seems like that would help me get better faster.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up