ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>ESPN is Garbage
Chieftain 06:05 PM 06-07-2021
I wanted to vent off here about this because it's way overdue. ESPN was once a great sports media back when guys like Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen and Kenny Mayne were doing their nightly casts. Or even before that when Bob Ley had just started Outside the Lines. Their main attraction was the iconic Monday Night Countdown with Chris Berman and Tom Jackson. They also aired the very successful NHL 2Night on ESPN2 with John Buccigross and Barry Melrose.

Today, ESPN is heralded by woke trash like Stephen A Smith. Their only great anchor is Mike Greenberg. They got rid of the only watchable football anchor in Trey Wingo. What really annoys me most though is their sports app. Every single time you click on the box score it shows the entire team lineup as if they designed it only for NBA games.:-)
[Reply]
Chieftain 12:22 AM 06-09-2021
It boggles my mind how Stephen A Smith is their main talking head, whatever you wanna label him. The guy is absolutely awful. His knowledge of the NFL is very basic and superficial. He gives no in-depth analysis of the games and players. Skip Bayless who I also can't stand seems at least more knowledgable and explains the intricacies of the games. Cowherd is decent although he played QB in highschool so he really understands the sport.
[Reply]
mkp785 01:09 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Once again the woke stuff has nothing to do with why their station isn't good anymore. Being owned by Disney it was pretty obvious they were gonna go down that path.

They have been courting the younger audience for what seems like 2 decades now and have yet to really get any return on it. They get out of the NFL what they can like every other network. There's a reason NFL live runs 365 days a year.

But they made the decision to really stake their flagship to the NBA, ESPN is all things NBA all the time. The Jump is on everyday, the NBA gets prime coverage on sportscenter, they show games etc. Meanwhile they moved away from the NHL basically completely and the MLB is still shown but has been drastically downsized.

They basically have done nothing but chase younger viewers that really don't care while alienating older fans who like things like MLB in the process.
"The Jump" is godawful too. Rachel Nichols is soooo annoying and they don't spend near enough time talking about actual basketball. Terrible show.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:56 AM 06-09-2021
The problem isn’t ESPN being dumb. The problem isn’t (entirely) management harassing the talent. It’s not the internet. It’s none of that stuff.

The reason ESPN sucks ass is the consumers. Fact is most people watching TV don’t have a fucking brain rattling around in their dome. Good quality program goes right over their head and they just squirrel off onto whatever quick hit dopamine fix they can get from “derp TEBOW!”

The bottom line is the shitty stuff is on because the shitty stuff is successful. Fucking Stephen A Smith bellowing fucking nonsense is higher rated than Jaworski breaking down tape. That’s a real thing. It happened. Sitting around watching Schefter talk fast about tweets and text messages is more popular than running a good highlight show. If more people actually watched Jaws break down tape, we’d have Jaws breaking down tape.

The majority of the public being mouthbreathing fucking mongoloids is the problem.

Genocide is the only answer.
[Reply]
eDave 02:10 AM 06-09-2021
^
[Reply]
Otter 05:34 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
The problem isn’t ESPN being dumb. The problem isn’t (entirely) management harassing the talent. It’s not the internet. It’s none of that stuff.

The reason ESPN sucks ass is the consumers. Fact is most people watching TV don’t have a fucking brain rattling around in their dome. Good quality program goes right over their head and they just squirrel off onto whatever quick hit dopamine fix they can get from “derp TEBOW!”

The bottom line is the shitty stuff is on because the shitty stuff is successful. Fucking Stephen A Smith bellowing fucking nonsense is higher rated than Jaworski breaking down tape. That’s a real thing. It happened. Sitting around watching Schefter talk fast about tweets and text messages is more popular than running a good highlight show. If more people actually watched Jaws break down tape, we’d have Jaws breaking down tape.

The majority of the public being mouthbreathing fucking mongoloids is the problem.

See History and Discovery Channels. Sword making ffs.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:57 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Yeah, in a lot of ways complaining that ESPN sucks now is like complaining that the Kardashians are rich with a string of successful shows and The History Channel is dominated by Pawn Stars.

But we also have to be cognizant that compensation metrics and programming have surrendered to the innate human attraction to rubbernecking. People would watch better programming, but if media can draw eyes and satisfy advertisers with sensationalistic, cheaply produced, clickbaity bullshit, why would they bother to produce anything better?

Is it our fault we'll gladly consume Big Macs and KFC Failure Buckets all the live-long day, or is it McDonald's and KFC's fault for putting a drive-thru on every corner and marketing glop?
[Reply]
Frazod 06:19 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
See History and Discovery Channels. Sword making ffs.
I like watching old Law and Order reruns. One of the channels that airs it is WeTV. The promo spots for their original shows are cringe inducing enough to almost make me change the channel. Mamma June-Road to Redemption? Holy fuck. She may well be the foulest creature to ever live. I turn my head away from the TV until it's over. There's another show about a bunch of nasty, bubble butt strippers who seem to think they're the hottest women who ever lived, and one about ex-cons and their trailer trash girlfriends. Makes me miss Cathy Rigby hawking maxipads.

People actually watch this shit. It's literally worse than the Kicked in the Balls show on Idiocracy.

I weep for the future. :-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:49 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Yeah, in a lot of ways complaining that ESPN sucks now is like complaining that the Kardashians are rich with a string of successful shows and The History Channel is dominated by Pawn Stars.

But we also have to be cognizant that compensation metrics and programming have surrendered to the innate human attraction to rubbernecking. People would watch better programming, but if media can draw eyes and satisfy advertisers with sensationalistic, cheaply produced, clickbaity bullshit, why would they bother to produce anything better?

Is it our fault we'll gladly consume Big Macs and KFC Failure Buckets all the live-long day, or is it McDonald's and KFC's fault for putting a drive-thru on every corner and marketing glop?
Unfortunately, it's not just the viewers with bad taste. It's the people who know better but can't resist feeding the trolls. It's insane that a guy like skip has a platform. Him and Stephen A arguably have a bigger base of hater followers than fans.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:02 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Unfortunately, it's not just the viewers with bad taste. It's the people who know better but can't resist feeding the trolls. It's insane that a guy like skip has a platform. Him and Stephen A arguably have a bigger base of hater followers than fans.

[Reply]
ping2000 07:08 AM 06-09-2021
OP, stop insulting garbage by comparing it to ESPN. Unlike ESPN, garbage has a purpose.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:48 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I call him pig vomit. Because he looks like a pig and he makes me want to vomit.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:35 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I like watching old Law and Order reruns. One of the channels that airs it is WeTV. The promo spots for their original shows are cringe inducing enough to almost make me change the channel. Mamma June-Road to Redemption? Holy fuck. She may well be the foulest creature to ever live. I turn my head away from the TV until it's over. There's another show about a bunch of nasty, bubble butt strippers who seem to think they're the hottest women who ever lived, and one about ex-cons and their trailer trash girlfriends. Makes me miss Cathy Rigby hawking maxipads.

People actually watch this shit. It's literally worse than the Kicked in the Balls show on Idiocracy.

Dude, we have an ION station here OTA.

You can tell what day of the week it is by what police/military procedural is on. Criminal Minds, SVU, NCIS, Chicago All of the Above - pick you favorite and binge to your heart's content. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:36 AM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:

And by the way, the show's name is "Ow, My Balls!" :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 12:23 PM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Dude, we have an ION station here OTA.

You can tell what day of the week it is by what police/military procedural is on. Criminal Minds, SVU, NCIS, Chicago All of the Above - pick you favorite and binge to your heart's content. :-)
I got tired of Criminal Minds and NCIS as they wore on - like all procedural crime shows, as they wear on too long the stories start to get ridiculous as the writers try to keep shit interesting. Both jumped the shark a long time ago. The reruns from the earlier seasons are okay. Never watched SVU because of the content - no interest in watching shows about victims of sex crimes. Yuck. And fuck all things Chicago. I've spent enough of my life in that shithole that the last thing I want to do is watch it on TV when I get home.

My favorite of this ilk is Blue Bloods. Outside of the annoying D.A. daughter, the cast is great and it hasn't gotten stupid over the years. At least not yet.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:26 PM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
And by the way, the show's name is "Ow, My Balls!" :-)
I stand corrected. :-)

And I'd rather be the guy in "Ow, My Balls!" than watch anything with Mama June in it.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Up