ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>ESPN is Garbage
Chieftain 06:05 PM 06-07-2021
I wanted to vent off here about this because it's way overdue. ESPN was once a great sports media back when guys like Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen and Kenny Mayne were doing their nightly casts. Or even before that when Bob Ley had just started Outside the Lines. Their main attraction was the iconic Monday Night Countdown with Chris Berman and Tom Jackson. They also aired the very successful NHL 2Night on ESPN2 with John Buccigross and Barry Melrose.

Today, ESPN is heralded by woke trash like Stephen A Smith. Their only great anchor is Mike Greenberg. They got rid of the only watchable football anchor in Trey Wingo. What really annoys me most though is their sports app. Every single time you click on the box score it shows the entire team lineup as if they designed it only for NBA games.:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:05 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Boo Yaaaa:-)
Still better than Olberman and his JIMP sounds.
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 03:58 PM 06-08-2021
The only recent thing on ESPN i watched,was the E60 Alex Smith special.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:10 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
They were shitty long before that, it would be like saying your cold really sucks when you have MS.
:-)

I'm stealing this.

But yeah, they were shitty LONG before wokeness.
[Reply]
Valiant 05:11 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
I'm still trying figure out about Victoria's Secret their line of fashion called PINK but nothing is pink. It's a mystery to me.
Vagina is pink. Or should be at least.
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:20 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by hawkchief:
A woke, trash media organization, no different than the KC Star, NY Times, CNBC, CNN etc. They don't have any problems biting the hands that feed them and will do so until they don't exist any longer. Like many here, I rarely patronize their garbage.
At some point you and your ilk are going to be against every large corporation except Chik-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby. But it will still be them, not you.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:30 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
At some point you and your ilk are going to be against every large corporation except Chik-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby. But it will still be them, not you.
ESPN+ has 14 million paid subscribers while ESPN has nearly 90 million.

I watch ESPN for sporting events and nothing more. Outside of NFL Primetime, I rarely, if ever, watch Sportscenter or any of the other non-live sports programming.

As I've said before, ESPN is as ubiquitous as CBS, NBC, CBS and Fox. Hating on their non-sports programming is absolutely no different than people hating on the OTA networks Prime Time programming and as a network, they aren't going anywhere.

That said, it's highly unlikely that ESPN will reach or top 100 million viewers again, mainly due to cord cutting.
[Reply]
Mecca 05:45 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
So he'll be a crafter that eats chicken all the time?
[Reply]
Al Bundy 06:14 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
They had cameras setup at a house to capture 7th round pick Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend 7 years ago.

If you didn't see through BS at that point, well then...

Fuck ESPN. The good years are over.
You mean like the 1000 other guys they showed kissing their girlfriends on camera?
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:53 PM 06-08-2021
The kiss was pretty over the top - massive messy cake-filled makeout session. Don't recall any other draft picks going that far with their girlfriends.

I doubt ESPN knew Sam was going to do that. He was trying to drum up publicity for the reality show Oprah was going to produce about his rookie season - which got canceled soon after.
[Reply]
Otter 07:29 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:
You mean like the 1000 other guys they showed kissing their girlfriends on camera?
How many of them were 7th round draft picks with an ESPN camera crew set up at their house?

Get real.
[Reply]
hawkchief 08:00 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Once again the woke stuff has nothing to do with why their station isn't good anymore. Being owned by Disney it was pretty obvious they were gonna go down that path.

They have been courting the younger audience for what seems like 2 decades now and have yet to really get any return on it. They get out of the NFL what they can like every other network. There's a reason NFL live runs 365 days a year.

But they made the decision to really stake their flagship to the NBA, ESPN is all things NBA all the time. The Jump is on everyday, the NBA gets prime coverage on sportscenter, they show games etc. Meanwhile they moved away from the NHL basically completely and the MLB is still shown but has been drastically downsized.

They basically have done nothing but chase younger viewers that really don't care while alienating older fans who like things like MLB in the process.
Exhibit A as to why I rarely post here. Folks like Mecca take a simple comment about why ESPN sucks and turn it into an argument. Instead of accepting their wokeness is a reason they suck so bad, he’ll spend half his life trying to tell you how it has nothing to do with their demise. Sad, actually to watch people behave this way. Need to argue and try to show superior knowledge even when someone stated a simple opinion.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:41 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by hawkchief:
Exhibit A as to why I rarely post here. Folks like Mecca take a simple comment about why ESPN sucks and turn it into an argument. Instead of accepting their wholeness is a reason they suck so bad, he’ll spend half his life trying to tell you how it has nothing to do with their demise.
What is this "demise" you speak of?

I get it, you don't like the programming on ESPN.

But in world of multiple streamers and cable cutting, ESPN stands above nearly all of the rest, save for Netflix (which will only lose subscribers in the coming decade), Disney+ (who owns ESPN) and Amazon Prime Video, which really isn't a fair comparison due to the fact that Prime Video is included in their shipping service.

HBO Max has around 40 million customers and they would absolutely love to have ESPN type numbers. Showtime and Starz! aren't even in the conversation and HULU, which again, is owned by Disney, has 40 million customers.

They all pale to ESPN's subscriber numbers.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:34 PM 06-08-2021
It really is impressive how much they are keeping in spite of all the cord cutting.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 11:41 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Espn was probably one of the early ones in trolling for clicks. Dan Patrick said he was incentivized for throwing words like Tebow in to his commentary. That's probably the start of everything. They realized that woke accusations from Stephen a. and jemele generate clicks. Idiot trolls like skip get clicks for idiotic takes. Espn has generated so much traffic the past decade from people who can't resist feeding trolls. Thats a pretty bad business model for a sports network to feed more off of haters than actual fans.
when it comes to click bait; you have to realize that you are not the end consumer, you are the product.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:49 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
It really is impressive how much they are keeping in spite of all the cord cutting.
Well if you are a sports fan it's a channel you'll watch sooner or later.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up