ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 35 of 55
« First < 253132333435 3637383945 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official (2020)-2021 NHL Thread***
DaFace 03:00 PM 12-20-2020
Well, it's gonna be a weird year, but here's your format:

The @NHLPA and @NHL have announced an agreement to play a 2020-21 regular-season schedule of 56 games beginning on Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021. https://t.co/2on0oStnMd pic.twitter.com/aggYeVMjfj

— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) December 20, 2020

[Reply]
DaFace 04:24 PM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Shoes:
International ice would turn hockey more into soccer in regards to where teams would use the extra ice to maintain possession longer but not necessarily to attack the net more.

Biggest problem I have with the NHL is how there is two sets of rules, 1 for regular season play and 2 for playoff hockey. Just be consistent throughout the entire year.

Additionally it seems like the NHL is the only league where being a superstar is a detriment. Skill players (such as MacKinnon or McDavid) have to endure so much more obstruction especially in playoffs without the benefit of drawing any penalties. McDavid for example didn't draw a single penalty in this year's playoffs or the play-ins vs Chicago last season.
That's an interesting point. On the one hand, I would say that it's better for the game to NOT have teams too dependent on one player since that tends to reduce parity. On the other hand, there's no question that the NFL has benefitted tremendously from marketing its superstars.

Calling the game more strictly would almost certainly benefit players with superstars and would result in more "haves vs. have nots." But I bet it would capture the public's attention more effectively.

It is a bit odd that none of the players who are finalists for the Hart trophy nor any of the three coaches who are finalists for the Adams award are still alive in the playoffs. (Hell, by my count, only 4 out of the 24 finalists for any of the awards are still playing, which is barely above the percentage of teams who are still playing.)

The NFL has a Super Bowl featuring Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, and Mathieu vs. Brady, Gronk, Evans, and Suh. The NHL is headed for...Fluery and Stone vs. Hedman and Vasilevskiy...I guess?
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:51 PM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Shoes:
International ice would turn hockey more into soccer in regards to where teams would use the extra ice to maintain possession longer but not necessarily to attack the net more.

Biggest problem I have with the NHL is how there is two sets of rules, 1 for regular season play and 2 for playoff hockey. Just be consistent throughout the entire year.

Additionally it seems like the NHL is the only league where being a superstar is a detriment. Skill players (such as MacKinnon or McDavid) have to endure so much more obstruction especially in playoffs without the benefit of drawing any penalties. McDavid for example didn't draw a single penalty in this year's playoffs or the play-ins vs Chicago last season.
Yeah, there's usually unintended consequences... and the international games I watch are typically the best of the best (Olympics, IIHF), so not exactly indicative of what the Wild and Knights would do with wider ice.

The one penalty I remember on MacKinnon was a two-handed baseball swing at his quads when he was in the slot, and it was in game 1... and you wonder if him and McDavid, coaches, etc; should turn into a bunch of crybabies about every little thing, since it seems to work for the Knights. :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:54 PM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
That's an interesting point. On the one hand, I would say that it's better for the game to NOT have teams too dependent on one player since that tends to reduce parity. On the other hand, there's no question that the NFL has benefitted tremendously from marketing its superstars.

Calling the game more strictly would almost certainly benefit players with superstars and would result in more "haves vs. have nots." But I bet it would capture the public's attention more effectively.

It is a bit odd that none of the players who are finalists for the Hart trophy nor any of the three coaches who are finalists for the Adams award are still alive in the playoffs. (Hell, by my count, only 4 out of the 24 finalists for any of the awards are still playing, which is barely above the percentage of teams who are still playing.)

The NFL has a Super Bowl featuring Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, and Mathieu vs. Brady, Gronk, Evans, and Suh. The NHL is headed for...Fluery and Stone vs. Hedman and Vasilevskiy...I guess?
Hmm, good points, hadn't really thought of that in terms of the NHL awards.... and yeah, NFL rules benefit their stars while swallowing whistles in the NHL playoffs does the opposite.
[Reply]
EPodolak 07:02 PM 06-15-2021
Casual NHL fan here. Wasn't much looking forward to TB and NY series but tonight's game has been good entertainment.
[Reply]
Shoes 09:29 PM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:

I will say that Tampa Bay being way over the cap by having Kucherov on the LTIR all season and then being magically okay for the playoffs is a great way to circumvent the cap but needs to be addressed. I think they are roughly 18 million over the cap by their playoff roster. Not really surprising that they are in the final 4.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:15 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Hmm, good points, hadn't really thought of that in terms of the NHL awards.... and yeah, NFL rules benefit their stars while swallowing whistles in the NHL playoffs does the opposite.
It is like that at all levels, the refs almost feel obliged to make the game close/entertaining at lower levels the skill gap is much wider and it can be blatantly obvious , I even had ref pretty much tell me that because I was a stronger player he wasn't going to call anything .
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:12 PM 06-16-2021
Vegas has been dominant for the last few minutes . . .
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 09:16 PM 06-16-2021
Yeah this is basically going to be Vegas sending waves at Price and MTL just trying to flip the puck out to center ice and changing lines.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:19 PM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief:
Yeah this is basically going to be Vegas sending waves at Price and MTL just trying to flip the puck out to center ice and changing lines.
Pretty much.

But MTL isn't doing a very good job of keeping VGK from entering the zone with space and speed. that might bite them in the ass her shortly.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:23 PM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Pretty much.

But MTL isn't doing a very good job of keeping VGK from entering the zone with space and speed. that might bite them in the ass her shortly.
Always happens hen you start playing not to lose , spending time in Vegas zone would help at protecting the lead
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 09:25 PM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Pretty much.

Yeah there have been some mind-blowing lapses in execution on the back end lately.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:30 PM 06-16-2021
Pietrangelo!!! Love that guy
[Reply]
Monticore 09:30 PM 06-16-2021
Saw that coming guys were dead , bad icing
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:32 PM 06-16-2021
MTL is in real trouble now.

Good game.
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 09:32 PM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Saw that coming guys were dead , bad icing
Terrible! They had total control of the puck in their own zone and could have set things up and did THAT. Wow.

They're totally at Vegas' mercy now.
[Reply]
Page 35 of 55
« First < 253132333435 3637383945 > Last »
Up