Media Center>Windows 11
eDave 06:48 PM 06-15-2021
Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more

[Reply]
lewdog 08:32 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Purely. And it won't get puss.
Well that's good.........

because I'm up to my eyeballs in pussy, bro!!!!
[Reply]
eDave 07:19 PM 06-19-2021

[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:15 PM 06-19-2021
Barf

I don’t know why they feel the need to follows apples UI
[Reply]
hometeam 07:40 AM 06-20-2021
likely just more spyware and mobile focused. Not seeing any reason they have given so far to upgrade. New UI? Cool. Will need to modify it to put it back to normal lol.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:17 AM 06-20-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:
likely just more spyware and mobile focused. Not seeing any reason they have given so far to upgrade. New UI? Cool. Will need to modify it to put it back to normal lol.
Meanwhile the new UI looks like shit, I swear moving everything to the middle will be even more annoying going forward
[Reply]
vailpass 09:43 AM 06-20-2021
What’s wrong with WIN10?
[Reply]
hometeam 10:39 AM 06-20-2021
So was doing some more looking at this.

This is win10. They are just finally iterating it to an 11 version number, but it is literally just an update for 10. Everything internally in the operating system still says 10.

Preliminary mixed reviews in all types of workflow from basic desktop to workstation use to gaming. Its just marketing and an update.
[Reply]
Otter 01:05 PM 06-20-2021
I'm due for a clean install on a rainy weekend.

Here’s why Windows 11 will probably be a free upgrade from Windows 10

You probably heard by now, but Windows 11 is coming. It was originally supposed to be revealed during Microsoft’s June 24 “what’s next for Windows” event, but the secret was leaked early. You can now install an unofficial preview version of it if you want, though we would not recommend doing so.

That means there are all kinds of questions about the cost of Windows 11, and how you can end up getting it once things become official. We’re here to help, with a look at why we think Windows 11 will probably be a free upgrade.

The answer to that question is in the numbers. Microsoft last reported that Windows 10 runs on 1.3 billion devices around the world. That’s a lot of PCs, and if Microsoft were to open up an option for Windows 10 users to “upgrade” to Windows 11 for free, then there are chances of more people using it.

There’s plenty of reason why they might want to do this too. Remember when Windows 10 was a free upgrade for Windows 8 and Windows 7? Microsoft wanted to push people to a newer operating system, at no extra cost. Yet, they also wanted to slowly phase out older versions of Windows, but keep it in place for those who need it.

We’re already seeing pieces of that put into play. An updated support page mentioned that support for Windows 10 will end in 2025, right in line with Microsoft’s 10-year Windows support cycle.

But there’s more evidence to suggest that Windows 11 will in fact be free. Those brave enough to install the leaked Windows 11 build were able to use it on existing Windows 10 PCs, without the need for a product key. The leaked ISO file for the build lets you “upgrade” Windows 10 to Windows 11, just like you could from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

Now, this is an unofficial release, so that could just be a coincidence. However, some coding in the configuration files even suggests Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users will be able to upgrade at no cost.

The final piece of the puzzle has to do with “Windows as a service.” As you know, Microsoft offers twice a year updates to Windows 10. Recently, Microsoft started playing with “featured experience packs” that bundle in features separate from the Windows operating system. If Microsoft really wanted to make Windows 11 free for Windows 10 users, then it could also come as an optional featured experience pack, too.

This is all speculation for now. We’ll have to wait and find out more on June 24 when Microsoft is set to officially reveal the next version of Windows
[Reply]
eDave 07:08 PM 06-20-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
What’s wrong with WIN10?
I feel like they are just dumbing it down and will see a mobile version at some point. It's also supposed to be more developer friendly.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 09:53 PM 06-20-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
What’s wrong with WIN10?
Absolutely nothing, it's just time for everyone to beta test a new OS for the next 5 or so years.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 06-20-2021, 10:00 PM
This message has been deleted by Imon Yourside. Reason: DOUBLE TIME TO DOUBLE POST
lewdog 08:03 PM 06-23-2021
I'll be damned. It's like a new computer over here. It's loading EVERYTHING super fast. My stock screener has no glitches or pauses. Web pages are loading quicker than ever for a computer I've owned. That took me a whopping 5 minutes and was super easy to install.

I really appreciate the help in here. I spent $70 to do this and saved a ton, as I was about ready to just purchase a new computer because this one was running so slow.

eDave, thanks for letting me text you and helping. I know I'm slow, thank you for your patience. I owe you a beer.
[Reply]
eDave 06-23-2021, 08:28 PM
This message has been deleted by eDave.
htismaqe 07:08 AM 06-24-2021
Cha-ching!
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:01 PM 06-24-2021
AP---

Originally Posted by :
Microsoft has unveiled the next generation of its Windows software, called Windows 11, that has sleeker visual features and is more open to third-party apps.

The newest version of Microsoft's flagship operating system announced Thursday will be a successor to today's Windows 10, which the company introduced in 2015.

In a challenge to rival Apple, the company also announced that it won't force app developers to pay fees to Microsoft for using its app store; and that Google's popular Android apps will run on its new system.

Windows 11 is expected to become available later this year on new computers and other devices and as a free update for those with Windows 10. It includes a host of cosmetic upgrades, such as a new Start button, a revamped task bar and sounds, and under-the-hood features designed to boost speed and efficiency.

While opening more doors to third-party developers, it also further entrenches Microsoft's workplace chatting tool Teams by making it easier to contact people when starting up.

Forrester analyst J.P. Gownder said the aesthetic, user-friendly improvements reflect CEO Satya Nadella's promise to build products that people will "love," not tolerate, though Gownder questioned whether Windows 11 is truly a new generation of software. The fact that it is built on the same core code base as Windows 10 might actually be a good thing, he added, because it could avoid the technical glitches that plagued the release of Windows Vista in 2007.

Microsoft's virtual announcement event was itself affected by technical difficulties Thursday, forcing the company to recommend some viewers watch it on Twitter instead.

When it launched Windows 10 six years ago, Microsoft was hoping that the new operating system would help it rebuild loyalty among users who were increasingly relying on tablets, smartphones and other devices.

Windows has been a PC workhorse for decades. Its first version launched in 1985, offering computer novices a "graphical user interface" so they could click on icons and menus with a mouse button rather than simply type commands into a blank screen.

It's been a core part of Microsoft's business ever since, though its influence waned as PC sales declined with the rise of smartphones.

Microsoft said it would allow developers to bypass the payments system in its app store if they have their own commerce engine.

That could create problems for Apple, which has faced government scrutiny over its app store and a legal battle from Epic, the maker of the popular Fortnite game, which contends Apple has been gouging app makers by charging commissions ranging from 15% to 30% for in-app transactions because it forbids other options on its iPhone, iPad and iPod.

"I believe this will be problematic for Apple in its antitrust dealings," said tech analyst Patrick Moorhead. "Apple charging 30% in its store and Microsoft charging 0% and 15% if you use its commerce engine. Global antitrust units are currently scrutinizing Apple on this very point."

Moorhead said the easier access to third-party apps, combined with the better user interface promised with Windows 11, could help Microsoft get a stronger hold in the premium tablet market, now dominated by the iPad.

[Reply]
htismaqe 02:16 PM 06-24-2021
The problem is that Windows is the most insecure OS on earth and one of the biggest reasons is the ability to bypass the walled garden for app installation.

This doesn't change anything for Apple because this isn't new.
[Reply]
Fish 02:26 PM 06-24-2021
A large part of my job is packaging and pushing software and MDM profiles to large numbers of computers. Apple's last two operating systems have been a huge pain in the ass for people like me. Apple has currently went way overboard with their personal privacy controls as of late. They've locked their OS down to the point it's very difficult for admins like me to properly manage them for our users. Apple seems insistent on cutting out any middle management between itself and the end users, to the detriment of developers.

Windows is seemingly going the opposite direction. Especially with the ability to run Android apps natively. LOL.

Both Windows and OS X could use a slight course correction...
[Reply]
Page 8 of 16
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up