ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 14
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Media Center>Marvel - Black Widow
Sure-Oz 08:41 AM 12-03-2019
New teaser

@MarvelStudios: "I’m done running from my past." Watch the new teaser trailer for Marvel Studios’ #BlackWidow. In theaters May 1, 2020.

https://youtu.be/RxAtuMu_ph4
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:34 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
There's a massive amount of people that haven't gone to the theaters because otherwise, the numbers wouldn't fall off so quickly.

Marvel expected Black Widow to do at least $500 million in worldwide ticket sales and after nearly three weeks, it's barely at half that number.

Shang-Chi will probably bring out the Marvel die hards, just like Black Widow, but it was a tough sell pre-pandemic, so I have a hard time believing they'll get anywhere near what Black Widow has earned to date if masks and social distancing are required by the time it's released in September.

Restaurants are already closing down in Los Angeles due to the latest mask mandates and I won't be surprised to see movie theaters follow suit.

So let’s assume that ‘massive amount’ of people never come back. Where does that leave Hollywood/studios? Does that mean we will see lower budgeted movies or less big budget movies in the future?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:12 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
So let’s assume that ‘massive amount’ of people never come back. Where does that leave Hollywood/studios? Does that mean we will see lower budgeted movies or less big budget movies in the future?
I think it's way too early to make that determination
[Reply]
Rausch 04:22 PM 07-22-2021
I think it's way too early to make that determination
Black widow would have done great 4 years ago. They missed their window with that character...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:42 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Black widow would have done great 4 years ago. They missed their window with that character...
People want to see Marvel properties.

The Disney+ Marvel series are drawing huge numbers, while WandaVision was nominated for 23 Emmy's.

The box office results have everything to do with COVID and nothing to do with the character itself.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:50 PM 07-22-2021
The highest grossing film this year is Fast 9 and it's only brought in $156 million.

Black Widow has earned $138 million at the box office and at least another $60 million from Disney+.

Had Black Widow been released Pre-Covid, it would have hit at least $500 million worldwide.

Piracy is killing Black Widow, not the timing of the release.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:14 PM 07-22-2021
Yea. Gonna have to disagree here. There’s an insatiable appetite for anything MCU currently

Although that will be tested with Shang Chi and Eternals
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:20 PM 07-22-2021
Although that will be tested with Shang Chi and Eternals
Those were going to be a tough sell, even before COVID, because they're far lesser known than even the Guardians of the Galaxy, but the idea is that word of mouth would drive business.

Now? That all may be out the window, especially if cases rise to the point where the largest cities in the nation are back on lockdown or even restricted.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 06:34 PM 07-22-2021
Wow, $12 bucks for IMAX????? That's awesome!

I saw Star Wars: Rogue One in IMAX and it was $32 per ticket.
Yeah...I went with a few friends since the wife wasn't interested. It was like a 30% discount at amc before 5pm on a Sunday. Yeah I think normal IMAX has cost about $18 so still significantly cheaper.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 06:35 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Yea, if it was just me going, $30 would be too much - but I'd probably spend close to that even for just me. Ticket, popcorn, pop, and maybe candy.

But taking a family of 5 to see it I'm lucky to walk out of there without to spending $100.
I hear ya...it's insane prices. I've taken the wife and kid it's cost around $50-60 with snacks. Definitely don't envy those coast prices and am glad there are streaming options for people that don't want to do that. I sure wouldn't go much.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 06:37 PM 07-22-2021
Some people went to the theater but clearly not at the same rate as Pre-Pandemic.
This was my first theater movie since Nov 2019. I have a stubs membership from amc that kept getting extended till next year that I averaged about 10 movies a year. I pretty much see myself going for a marvel or blockbuster film while it's safe to do so.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 06:40 PM 07-22-2021
People want to see Marvel properties.

The Disney+ Marvel series are drawing huge numbers, while WandaVision was nominated for 23 Emmy's.

The box office results have everything to do with COVID and nothing to do with the character itself.
I wonder how streaming effected the theater #s. I've heard this is the last marvel at home release. This would've been a pretty big release pre pandemic I'd think.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:06 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
I wonder how streaming effected the theater #s. I've heard this is the last marvel at home release. This would've been a pretty big release pre pandemic I'd think.
Disney earned $60 million from Premiere Access during the first weekend of release, which equates to about 2 million customers out of their base of over 103 million.

They haven't released any follow up numbers but I think we'll have a better idea of how it did on Disney+ with the decisions they make in regards to Shang-Chi and The Eternals.

If cities like Los Angeles are restricted and/or closed, I think they'll likely postpone them both, unless of course, the Black Widow numbers are much bigger than they've stated publicly.

But from my understanding, the numbers dropped off significantly due to pirating, so Disney+ might be a stretch this early in the game.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:15 PM 07-22-2021
I’ll say this, just for me personally.

I prefer the theater experience for the big blockbusters over streaming at home for first time viewing. I like the huge Immersive screens with great sound. I’m willing to pay a little extra for the bigger screens. But I realize not everyone is that way.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:05 PM 07-22-2021
Disney earned $60 million from Premiere Access during the first weekend of release, which equates to about 2 million customers out of their base of over 103 million.

They haven't released any follow up numbers but I think we'll have a better idea of how it did on Disney+ with the decisions they make in regards to Shang-Chi and The Eternals.

If cities like Los Angeles are restricted and/or closed, I think they'll likely postpone them both, unless of course, the Black Widow numbers are much bigger than they've stated publicly.

But from my understanding, the numbers dropped off significantly due to pirating, so Disney+ might be a stretch this early in the game.
Sucks about the pirating etc. Ya I bet you are right esp after this release.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:07 PM 07-22-2021
I’ll say this, just for me personally.

I prefer the theater experience for the big blockbusters over streaming at home for first time viewing. I like the huge Immersive screens with great sound. I’m willing to pay a little extra for the bigger screens. But I realize not everyone is that way.
Same. Any big movie/marvel I gotta see it the first time in theaters. I made an exception for a quiet place 2 where I still enjoyed it at home at night with a nice tv and loud speakers. I didn't feel comfortable at that point to try to go. If it was a marvel movie I mightve.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 14
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up