ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 150 of 341
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160200250 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:43 AM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by DenverChief:
Excellent info. I saw the Ruger Nightwatchman and it's on my list of firearms to collect. I figured I'll eventually get a Colt...but dang those guys are expensive. I was at the gun shop today and saw a 1911 ( I have no idea what brand) listed at $3,200 I held my breath and walked away..:-)
I should've mentioned that several Colts can be had for between $850-$1000, at least on BGS. Probably elsewhere a well.

I don't own any really high-end 1911s, but I've shot a few, including a couple Les Baers, a Dan Wesson, a couple Wilson Combats, and a Nighthawk. If I was made of money, I could carry a WC or NH without fear. But one of the caveats to these high-end guns is that they have to be kept clean. That means field stripping it weekly regardless of whether it's been shot, and cleaning then lubing the thing.

Also, you have to take the time and expense of figuring out what ammo works perfectly in your particular gun. Again, if you're made of money, this is not a problem, and if you can afford one of these things, then you're made of money, basically.

Someday I plan on getting a Wilson Combat, as having a unique, designed-by-me 1911 just appeals to me. But I probably won't ever carry it.
[Reply]
srvy 02:03 PM 05-16-2019
When in doubt checkout Hickock

This ones just for the funnies

[Reply]
Megatron96 02:16 PM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
When in doubt checkout Hickock

This ones just for the funnies
Always like Hickok45 videos. No nonsense reports from an accomplished shooter.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:51 PM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The problem is those pistols are literally made too good. The tolerances are so tight that if something is off by a fraction of a millimeter it can make the gun fail.

They are works of art, though. But my $1100 Sig is pretty too, and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Absolutely. I actually "auditioned" a Springfield Armory 1911 TRP - sort of their "high end" model 1911 and I swear, the slide was so damned hard to engage that I figured that it would be years before the damned thing loosened up.....
[Reply]
bigjosh 04:08 PM 05-16-2019
To me, there are no better 1911s for the money than a Sig.

Stay away from kimber, taurus, and remington and you should be alright.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:16 PM 05-16-2019
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
To me, there are no better 1911s for the money than a Sig.

Stay away from kimber, taurus, and remington and you should be alright.
My Sig 1911s concur. :-)
[Reply]
Raiderhater 09:23 PM 05-17-2019
Here you go, DC, this popped up on my Facebook feed today - a 1911 made by a quality gunmaker in Springfield Armory that normally retails for close to $800 on sale for $550. It is Full size, not a commander though. But really, do your first 1911 purchase proper and go with a government model. At that price you’d be silly not to. Hell, I’m trying to get creative and find a way to fit it into my current budget.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...enders-series/
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:31 PM 05-17-2019
Looking at getting an AR soon. Thoughts, tips, opinions? I'd like to mount a decent scope on it, could shoot coyotes, deer, antelope with it if i wanted.

One i was pondering was the savage msr 15 recon. Thoughts on that one?

Thoughts on scopes as well would be great
[Reply]
bigjosh 09:55 PM 05-17-2019
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Looking at getting an AR soon. Thoughts, tips, opinions? I'd like to mount a decent scope on it, could shoot coyotes, deer, antelope with it if i wanted.

All depends on what you want to use it for and how much you are willing to spend.

That being said, i will always recommend building instead of buying a complete rifle.
[Reply]
notorious 10:10 PM 05-17-2019
Savage's service is a known quantity....it sucks.

It should be a decent rifle, but if you have problems, good luck.

Since there are a million brands, I'll give you my advice on what I would look for in your situation:

Get a 1:7 to 1:8 twist barrel. 18" barrel is good for the ranges you will be shooting. 20+ and the rifle becomes a little cumbersome. Get a Chrome Cold Hammer Forged or Stainless Barrel. Chrome Moly is slightly more accurate than Chromed, but you have to make sure it's clean after shooting. Chrome Moly barrels are usually on the cheaper AR's. All of my newer 14.5-16" AR's are CHF Chrome lined just because I want them to last a really long time. My range AR's are either Stainless Steel or Chrome Moly.

Get a nickel bolt carrier if you shoot a lot at once and/or use a suppressor. It will collect less gunk.

Adjustable buttstock is a MUST.

Get a rail that can accept a bipod easily. Trust me, when you have that 500 yarder to kill that coyote you don't want your wobbly ass throwing lead everywhere.

Triggers can be removed and polished/sanded to make them smoother. Go single stage on a truck/quick attack gun and 2 stage on a range baby.

On a scope I would go 2nd focal plane 1-4, 1-6, or 3-9 illuminated if you are reaching out. The extra mag is for identification. I routinely do 1000 yard shots with other calibers at 10x and under. Don't let someone tell you that a lot of mag is needed for range. It's not.

Steiner P4XI is on my .300 blackout, and it's fantastic. $500, and it came with a free mount from Steiner.

Leupolds Patrol 1-4 and 3-9 are fantastic for the money, and the illumination is motion activated and very daylight bright.

Get a good mount. You will waste a lot of money on lead by going cheap on a mount.
[Reply]
DenverChief 05:35 AM 05-18-2019
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
Here you go, DC, this popped up on my Facebook feed today - a 1911 made by a quality gunmaker in Springfield Armory that normally retails for close to $800 on sale for $550. It is Full size, not a commander though. But really, do your first 1911 purchase proper and go with a government model. At that price you’d be silly not to. Hell, I’m trying to get creative and find a way to fit it into my current budget.

Thank you!
[Reply]
Randallflagg 07:09 AM 05-18-2019
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:

Hell, I've been using a Government model for the last 40 years. All those other options are fine, I suppose, but the standard 1911-A1 has yet to ever fail me.

I purchased my Springfield 1911-A1 from Sportsmans guide a few years ago and I paid $510 for mine delivered. Picked it up from my FFL dealer ($20) for the background check.

I love that pistol.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:45 AM 05-18-2019
Originally Posted by DenverChief:
Thank you!
Of course.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:51 AM 05-18-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Hell, I've been using a Government model for the last 40 years. All those other options are fine, I suppose, but the standard 1911-A1 has yet to ever fail me.

I purchased my Springfield 1911-A1 from Sportsmans guide a few years ago and I paid $510 for mine delivered. Picked it up from my FFL dealer ($20) for the background check.

I love that pistol.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com
I conceal carry government models fairly consistently. I subscribe to the carry as big a gun and round as you can philosophy. It takes a little extra effort to properly conceal, especially during the warmer months, but it is still manageable if you are dedicated to it.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:13 AM 05-18-2019
Originally Posted by Sofa King:

This isn't exactly a AR, but would be great for long distance, the magazine holds 5 rounds. You can find these new for $900 without the scope.

[Reply]
Page 150 of 341
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160200250 > Last »
Up