ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 15
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Red Dirt Juke Box
Iowanian 04:41 PM 01-13-2015
In several discussions about music, several posters bring in Red Dirt Music to the conversation.

In this thread, I'd like to do things a little different to help people learn about our favorite artists, and post a couple of youtube videos of their song and your personal favorite playlist of that artist.
Feel free to include your own contributions, but follow the format. Videos of live performances, and list a few of your favorite songs.

I've met a few of these guys and have had beers with some of them, so I'll share stories and nuggets that they've told me. It's fine if you have a different take of the same artists or offer a different playlist.

Happy listening.
[Reply]
Iowanian 11:37 AM 01-15-2015
Hellbound Glory
This band broke up at the end of the year and that talent is now solo as Leon Virgil Bowers.

They call their music "Scumbag Music" and their female followers "Scum hags". Kind of makes sense.

I've had a beer with this guy, and I can't say I'd consider them solid human beings afterwards, but the guy can sing and has a unique sound. They got most of their original notoriety doing viral videos, and toured last year with Kid Rock for a while.

Bastard Child This is the song that I found that put me onto their music

Better Hope you Die Young This is the song for every bad girlfriend you ever had

Lost Cause

Malt Liquor I like this song, but it's more mainstream they played on the Kid Rock tour

[Reply]
Iowanian 03:02 PM 01-15-2015
I kind of feel like I'm talking to myself.
Is there enough interest in this to be worth the effort? I'll keep doing it if you're digging it or I'll climb back inside my own personal jukebox if not.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:12 PM 01-15-2015
I'm jamming Iowanian! Just gonna have to make a list and listen to it on the weekends I think. Hard to get through it most nights.

I like Hellbound Glory there. Didn't care for The Dirty River Boys.
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:14 PM 01-15-2015
Fans of the turnpike Troubadours..... old and new

Turnpike Troubadours is playing in Lawrence, Ks at the Grenda Theater Feb 19.

Wish it were closer.
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:18 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Fans of the turnpike Troubadours..... old and new

Turnpike Troubadours is playing in Lawrence, Ks at the Grenda Theater Feb 19.

Wish it were closer.
Did you like my L7 suggestion in KC Mizzou's video thread, today?

It's Shit-List - great song!

[Reply]
Simply Red 07:19 PM 01-15-2015

[Reply]
Buehler445 11:13 PM 01-15-2015
I'm obviously into it, but understand if you don't want to do the digging.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:13 PM 01-15-2015
Been listening to Sturgil Simpson for the past couple of weeks. Defintely digging the shit out of both of his albums. Both are a great listen through.

This one is my current fave.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 10:49 AM 01-16-2015
I kind of feel like I'm talking to myself.
Is there enough interest in this to be worth the effort? I'll keep doing it if you're digging it or I'll climb back inside my own personal jukebox if not.
Don't stop. I love this type music. I've been playing these songs on background while I do other work on my laptop.

I just don't have anything I can contribute to the thread like most I suspect.
[Reply]
Iowanian 11:21 AM 01-16-2015
I tried Red, but I'd rather read a deberg thread about the Cinco De Mayo parade I attended with Kcnative than listen to that song again, but you seem nice.

Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Did you like my L7 suggestion in KC Mizzou's video thread, today?

It's Shit-List - great song!

[Reply]
Iowanian 11:35 AM 01-16-2015
I'm trying some new music now so I'm going to do something different.
This post, I will link the current top 5 songs on the Texas/Red Dirt Chart.

Pat Green(with Lyle Lovett)
Girls from Texas Current #1

Josh Abbott Band
Hangin' Around Current #2

Aaron Watson
That Look Current #3 I'd never heard him before.

Kyle Watson
Turn that Crown Upside Down Current #4

Wade Bowen
When I woke up Today Current #5

I'm not going to lie, I fear some D-bags are inching their way into my music.....I don't like the "Mainstream" sound I'm starting to hear.
[Reply]
Iowanian 02:15 PM 01-16-2015
Here is an article about the Dirty River Boys that came across my feed today that I thought was worth sharing about them.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/..._live_band.php

On an average Thursday night in the early spring of 2012, the Glass Cactus in Grapevine, next to the monolithic Gaylord Texan Hotel was empty. Such a scenario seemed stranger still, given the night club's reputation as a prime cougar den and ideal spot for business travelers looking for a good Texas-style time on the dance floor. Oddly enough, Thursday night's at the Glass Cactus were reserved for "Texas Music," so a lack of out-of-towners with hotel rooms seemed even more ironic.

As empty as the club, specifically the expansive dance floor in front of the room was that night; the stage was kind of packed. Two bands were on tap that night with local favorites Eleven Hundred Springs playing the late set. That band's gear was partially set-up near the back of the stage as a raucous quartet from El Paso lay waste to the parts of the stage that Eleven Hundred's gear wasn't set. Without giving a crap about how many people were in front of them, the Dirty River Boys brought the noise in the form of their take on honky-tonk, punk, folk, and even a Celtic jig or two.
See also:
Five Dallas Country Bands to Watch in 2015
Country Music Will Rebound in 2015 as It Shakes off Its Bro-Country Shackles

With only an assortment of acoustic instruments and a wooden box for the beat at its disposal, this group made me a true believer. It was a revelation. That performance personified the idea of a hungry young band that plays with the same passion to five people they would employ if playing to an arena full of screaming drunks.

Now, Nino Cooper, Marco Gutierrez, Travis Stearns and Colton James, have been legit headliners since the release of Science of Flight, the group's first full-length (two rustic, yet powerful EPs had been released previously) in the fall of 2012. And, before I confuse anyone, that record, and especially 2014's self-titled album are fantastic examples of a band that runs in Texas Country circles but have more than busted through such limiting barriers from a sonic perspective. Their albums have grown with the live version of the band with the guys plugging in and cranking the amps on this latest record more than it had ever before.

The key to the group's live show domination goes beyond the infectious energy which emanates from the stage it inhabits. Any given Dirty River Boys show is damn near a rock and roll variety hour. The group will headline a show at the Granada Theater tonight and it's sure to be raging. The energy that will be exhibited is even cooler given the group, which began as a trio, minus James, playing as quietly as it could in corners of El Paso restaurants and coffee houses. Take a look at the "About page" on the group's official Facebook page and you'll see each member is responsible for many roles. Each guy has at least four duties listed, but it seems like each one does more. And those roles are carried out in a wild-ass, backwoods form of musical chairs. Everyone sings lead at some point. Most play the other's instrument, including the upright bass usually played by the Hank Sr. look-alike James. The circuit-style performance is done seamlessly, but not so polished it loses character. You are never anything but fully engorged engaged during a DRB concert.

Unlike many of the revered vets of the regional touring circuit such as Reckless Kelly, Charlie Robison, Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers Band and the Turnpike Troubadours, who all proffer expertly executed sets with amazing consistency, DRB kicks things up a few notches in a way that simply no other act touring Texas (and beyond in many cases) are doing, thanks in large part to their form of instrumental A.D.D. In all fairness, one's status as a true Texan should rightfully be questioned should someone admit to not having ever sang along to "The Road Goes on Forever" at a Robert Earl Keen show, but as special as that individual experience is, it often has more to do with the listener's connection to the iconic song, and not so much the performance of the song itself. For example, I won't lie, for me, Keen could hold up poster boards with the lyrics to that song on them while standing on a stage and I'd still be shouting "Texas Forever!" with my shredded throat after he was done.

A Dirty River Boys show is about what they do to you, the concert attendee in the moment you are watching them.

This past July, just before the latest album came out, the group took the Gas Monkey Bar 'n Grill stage on a gorgeous night. This time, hundreds were there for them, not the souvenir Gas Monkey shirts. Cooper and Gutierrez, the two "front-men" if only because they handle the majority of the lead-singing were looking more dapper than before. An electric guitar or two could be spotted on the stage. Stearns, sitting behind them had a couple a few percussive toys added to the wooden box he sits on and slaps while James looked even buffer in his white tank than before.

They certainly looked more polished. I had seen them a time or two since that lonely Glass Cactus Night, but this was the first time I felt like I might be watching something akin to DRB 2.0. Had they gone too far? Did they get too pretty? Had they ditched their dusty mélange of rootsy tunes in favor of some sort of stab at the so-called Texas Country big-time? Quick answer: no. Not even close.

While the boys were more fluid in their movements, and suave in their appearance, the grit and the electricity that has made their shows the best of any band driving a white van around this state was intact and powerful. Going from old, acoustic-driven sing-alongs such as "Boomtown," to a faithful rendition of "Blitzkrieg Bop," to honor Tommy Ramone, who had just passed that week, the foursome was flawless when they could've been terribly flawed, given the hyper nature of its shows.

The Dirty River Boys is the best live act this state has seen in a seriously long time. And they're still getting started. The only thing they're done with is playing to empty suburban dance floors.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:07 PM 01-16-2015
Today an article was releases announcing that Sturgil Simpson has signed a record deal with Atlantic records. I hope they don't ruin him.

Sturgill Simpson performs on 'Late Night With Seth Meyers' in November. Simpson recently signed a major-label deal with Atlantic. NBC/NBCUniversal
Don't count on Sturgill Simpson to do anything by the book.

SIDEBAR

40 Best Country Albums of 2014 »
Ten months after the independent release of Metamodern Sounds in Country Music — an album that was recorded in less than a week, with a budget of $4,000 and an Estonian lead guitarist who'd grown up playing blues and rock & roll instead of country — the singer has signed a major-label deal with Atlantic Records. The news arrives on the tail end of a busy year that also included a surprise Grammy nomination, multiple late-night TV appearances and a win at the 2014 Americana Music Awards. Not to mention acclaim from virtually all corners of the music-loving public, from cowboy-hatted country fanatics who herald Simpson as the next Waylon Jennings to psychedelic hippies who are familiar with the "reptile aliens made of light" mentioned in Metamodern's lead-off track, "Turtles All the Way Down."

While Simpson's publicist confirmed the signing to Rolling Stone Country today, country-music blog Saving Country Music began putting the pieces together last night by pointing out a list of Atlantic artists on the label's website, Simpson among them, slated to play Coachella. Then Simpson's Facebook page made it official by uploading an image of an old-school 45 record with the artist's name printed beneath the Atlantic logo. The image also included a list of icons who've recorded for the label, including the Rolling Stones, Ray Charles (another artist who explored modern sounds in country music) and fellow country rule-breaker Willie Nelson.

Simpson will spend much of 2015 on the road, playing a handful of festivals — including Coachella, Stagecoach and Bonnaroo — and, in the final show currently listed on his website, opening up for the Avett Brothers at Red Rocks Amphitheater this summer. In the meantime, he's already begun working on a new record with Dave Cobb, who produced Metamodern Sounds in Country Music and 2013's High Top Mountain.

"Sturgill is in his prime and we're going to capitalize on that," Cobb told Rolling Stone Country last summer. "We're already doing something totally different, and it will probably make a lot of people mad. It's already crazy. We've already plotted it and started it."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3P2dVHq2Y
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
[Reply]
stevieray 09:21 PM 01-16-2015
Heard a new Bluegrass band the other day...Steep Canyon Rangers...tal.en.ted.

Also been checking out Parker Milsap...for 21 years, dude sounds like he's an old soul.

...both are worth a listen, IMO.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:27 PM 01-16-2015
I'm trying some new music now so I'm going to do something different.
This post, I will link the current top 5 songs on the Texas/Red Dirt Chart.

Pat Green(with Lyle Lovett)
Girls from Texas Current #1

Josh Abbott Band
Hangin' Around Current #2

Aaron Watson
That Look Current #3 I'd never heard him before.

Kyle Watson
Turn that Crown Upside Down Current #4

Wade Bowen
When I woke up Today Current #5

I'm not going to lie, I fear some D-bags are inching their way into my music.....I don't like the "Mainstream" sound I'm starting to hear.
It's been happening for awhile. I think there will still be guys that are about the music and guys that put out shit that makes money.

Pat Green has put out a lot of hits for a long time. If you think he's stuck to his music for awhile, he'll probably still put out the same music.

I'm not the biggest Josh Abbot fan out there. I don't hate him though either. I either really can't stand any specific song, or I love it. This one falls into the category that I don't like. Even before anybody knew him, he had a little more mainstream sound, although his best stuff is when the focus of the song is the singing.

Aaron Watson has been around awhile. I haven't listened to much of his stuff though. That song sounded pretty authentic.

Kyle Watson, I do not know. But that song is pretty shitty.

Wade Bowen has been around a long time. He's put out some really good stuff. He's put out some really good stuff, some shitty stuff too, but he's a legit guy. He married Cody Canada's sister, I believe.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 15
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up