ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 53 of 86
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Josh Gordon to Chiefs
DaKCMan AP 01:58 PM 09-27-2021

Former All-Pro WR Josh Gordon, who is being reinstated, is planning to sign with the Kansas City Chiefs, sources tell ESPN. His agents, Eric Dounn and Matt Leist from @LAASportsEnt, confirmed Gordon is headed to Kansas City. pic.twitter.com/nqpJXn3oni

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 27, 2021

[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:08 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I got so drunk that game that my parents left the house we were at because I was in total meltdown mode.
Monty and I packed up the hotel room (was scheduled to stay in Indy that night) and drove back to STL in a blizzard.

Don't think either of use said a word until we were well into Illinois.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:09 PM 09-30-2021
Reading CP its hard to believe the Chiefs are scoring 4 more pts per game on average this year than last, even with the turnovers.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:11 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
:-)

still can't believe any of you were invested in a team led by alice smiff

we win there, so what? they were doomed
After the stretch of 2007-2012, I was willing to believe just about anything.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:12 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Monty and I packed up the hotel room (was scheduled to stay in Indy that night) and drove back to STL in a blizzard.

Don't think either of use said a word until we were well into Illinois.
My buddy and his dad drove home that night as well.

As our plan to go to St. Elmos with the hot California chief fan girls randomly sitting next to us had clearly fallen through, we went to Shula's. It was...fair. Not sure I understand the draw.

Fucking Dwayne Bowe. I really wanted to try that damn shrimp cocktail...
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:25 PM 09-30-2021
:-)

still can't believe any of you were invested in a team led by alice smiff

we win there, so what? they were doomed
This is my answer as well.

I checked out of actually caring about the Chiefs on-field results for the entirety of the Alex Smith era.

I was at a friend's house watching that game. I had predicted a loss. When 28-3 happened, friend started giving me crap. It stopped around the time Luck recovered his own fumble or whatever.

What's even worse, though, is I can't imagine being so bought into that team that you let that loss prevent you from enioying what is happening now.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:33 PM 09-30-2021
Yeah. I went into cruise control with my fandom after the Colts loss. Followed the games on Gamecast or followed them here. Watched maybe 2-3 games a season through 2016. This was after loyally watching every game in the Pioli era. I just could get invested in a season that I knew was going to end as a 1 score game with the superior opposing quarterback in the victory formation.

I just had seen Alex's script play out too often with the Marty era. Until we had a QB who was willing to take bold risks to win in the clutch, I just wasn't at all confident that Andy could get us over the top.

Then one day, I was driving home in the rain, and the Denver talk radio hosts said the Chiefs had just traded for the 10th pick in the draft...
[Reply]
KCUnited 09-30-2021, 02:36 PM
This message has been deleted by KCUnited. Reason: mix up
carcosa 02:51 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Chiefs confident Josh Gordon, with another opportunity after reinstatement, can boost their offense

https://theathletic.com/2857956/2021...their-offense/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The equation that led to the sudden partnership between the Chiefs and Josh Gordon is easy to understand.

Brett Veach, the Chiefs’ aggressive general manager, makes the same statement every year before the start of the regular season: If he can upgrade the team at any position — except at quarterback, of course — the Chiefs will acquire such a player. Andy Reid, in his 23rd year as an NFL head coach, is always willing to offer a talented player a chance at redemption. With a surprising 1-2 record, the Chiefs, desperate to increase the efficiency of their potent offense, were eager to pursue Gordon, the 30-year-old receiver who was reinstated by the NFL last week.

Gordon, who already had contract offers from a few teams, selected the Chiefs on Monday afternoon for three reasons: to play alongside superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes, to learn from Reid and to prove that his skills are indeed going to upgrade the Chiefs’ odds of achieving their Super Bowl aspirations.

“Time to get to work,” Gordon posted Monday on his Twitter account, ending his message with the folded-hands emoji to express his gratitude to the Chiefs.

Before Wednesday’s practice, Gordon signed his one-year deal, joining the Chiefs practice squad. He wore the No. 19 jersey, and he immediately, on first observation, stood out among the rest of the receivers during the team’s individual drills. Listed at 6-foot-3 and 238 pounds, Gordon, once he joins the active roster, will be the tallest receiver, with the widest frame, on the team for Mahomes.

“It was a heck of an opportunity to bring him in here and involve him in that receivers room,” Mahomes said of Gordon, smiling. He later added: “He’s going to be a guy that even if he’s covered, he’s not covered. You can throw it up there and he can make plays. I’m excited to get to work with him. He seems like a great dude that wants to come in and work. Everywhere he’s been, he’s kind of dominated.”

The last time Gordon played in an NFL game was Dec. 15, 2019, when he was a member of the Seattle Seahawks. He was their third receiver and was capable of making highlights thanks to his rare combination of size and speed. In 11 games during the 2019 season, Gordon split time between the Patriots and Seahawks. He recorded 27 receptions for 426 yards and one touchdown.

His last reception with the Seahawks was a memorable one: a 58-yard catch that featured a sprint past two defenders.

Gordon, though, was suspended indefinitely without pay for violating the NFL policies on performance-enhancing substances and substances of abuse, the sixth such punishment of his five-year career. At the time, it was Gordon’s eighth suspension overall since he entered the NFL in 2012. He submitted a reinstatement letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell this past summer. After he passed all of his random drug screenings, the league granted Gordon’s reinstatement Friday, making him a prominent free agent.

Throughout his career, Reid has coached a few players into having successful seasons after a major injury or a return from suspension, most notably former star quarterback Michael Vick.

“Brett always keeps his eyes open for good players, and Josh is a good player,” Reid said. “He’s had a great eight months. The league, obviously, understands that he’s a good guy. Everybody deserves an opportunity to at least try to do the right thing.”

“He’s worked hard on his situation, making sure it was right. He’s an honest guy, and he’s easy to talk to.”

Together, the Chiefs and Gordon hope he will finish this season in uniform as a contributing role player. But in 2018 with the New England Patriots and in 2019 with the Seahawks, Gordon never played in the postseason with his teammates because he was suspended.

In addition to their supportive resources, the Chiefs are confident that their locker room — led by Mahomes, star tight end Travis Kelce, star safety Tyrann Mathieu and linebacker Anthony Hitchens — is the proper environment for Gordon to remain disciplined and successful. Reid demands that his players be accountable to one another, whether it’s on the field or with their decisions away from the training facility. Mahomes plans to spend plenty of time with Gordon to encourage him and get his newest teammate accustomed to the offense.

“Every single (teammate) I’ve had, I’ve built a relationship with,” Mahomes said. “These are my friends that are in this locker room. I’ll do the same with him. We’ll bring him into this family that we’ve built and try to get the best out of him, obviously on the field and off the field. We want him to succeed in life more than just on this field. We’ll do the best we can to help him in any way possible.”

Reid doesn’t expect Gordon to make his Chiefs debut Sunday when the team plays against the Philadelphia Eagles. A logical and fair timeline for Gordon to play in his first game could be in Week 6, when the Chiefs face the Washington Football Team. Under such a plan, Gordon would have three weeks to improve his conditioning and learn a decent chunk of the playbook and build timing and chemistry with Mahomes and the rest of his teammates.

Reid and Mahomes didn’t reveal any specifics when asked what Gordon’s role will be.

One possibility for the Chiefs could be for Gordon to start as their slot receiver to create one-on-one matchups on the perimeter for Tyreek Hill, the league’s fastest player. Through three games, third-year receiver Mecole Hardman has the team’s third-most receiving yards, with just 107. The Chiefs believe Gordon — alongside Kelce, Hill and Hardman — can help stretch the field against opposing defenses with his speed and size to help generate more explosive completions. Gordon’s abilities could prevent opponents from covering Hill with two defenders for most of the game.

“He’s been such a good player,” Reid said of Gordon. “Anytime that you can add somebody like that, of that quality, you try to do it within reason. That’s where we’re at. It’s just a matter of getting back in the swing of things. He seems like a good guy. I don’t think the chemistry will be disrupted at all.”

In the three previous seasons, the Chiefs have added a veteran skill-position player on offense after the league’s annual cutdown day. The Chiefs were optimistic about receiver Kelvin Benjamin (2018) and running backs LeSean McCoy (2019) and Le’Veon Bell (2020). But during the team’s playoff run, those players weren’t used.

Unlike Gordon, those veterans didn’t have a history of substance abuse.

The Chiefs’ faith in Gordon is understandable. Perhaps the best possible outcome, if the Chiefs can harness Gordon’s talents, could be his rewarding the team’s faith with statistics similar to what he produced in 12 games in 2018: 41 receptions, 737 yards and four touchdowns. Reid knows such a goal is achievable as long as Gordon is accountable to his new team — and himself.

“As long as you’re doing the right things,” Reid said, “you’ll have support.”

Reid thanks doctors in his return

In his first public comments since the Chiefs’ loss to the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday, Reid declined to share the symptoms he experienced after the game that made him feel ill. The Chiefs, for precautionary reasons, had Reid, 63, leave Arrowhead Stadium in an ambulance to be transported to a hospital and further evaluated by doctors.

“I’m not much on talking about all that stuff,” Reid said. “I wish it would have never happened. But it did, and I’m moving on.”

The Chiefs announced Sunday night that Reid was resting after doctors treated him at the University of Kansas Health System. Reid continued to rest Monday, and he returned to the training facility Tuesday morning to begin working on the team’s game plan against the Eagles.

“I guess I’ll start with my injury report,” Reid said in his opening statement. “I’m feeling great, first of all. It’s good to get back. We’re getting on to business as usual here. All is good. I respect the people who tended to me during that time. They were top-notch.”

Mahomes shared that Rick Burkholder, the team’s vice president of sports medicine, kept the leaders of the team informed of Reid’s status. Mahomes and those leaders then relayed information to the rest of the players.

“They kept me kind of at ease, knowing that it wasn’t a real crazy situation,” Mahomes said. “It was something that they had under control. I know he loves being able to coach us. I’ve always thought if you’re doing something that makes you happy, usually it helps you live longer.”

Injury update

Cornerback Rashad Fenton (concussion protocol) was the lone player on the active roster who didn’t participate in practice Wednesday. Defensive ends Chris Jones (wrist) and Frank Clark (right hamstring), left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. (groin) and cornerback Charvarius Ward (quad) were limited participants.

“We’ll just see how he does here in the next few days,” Reid said of Fenton.

Without a helmet, linebacker Willie Gay (toe) did individual drills alongside his teammates. The Chiefs have yet to designate Gay, who is eligible to rejoin the active roster, as a player who is returning from injured reserve.

“He’s making progress,” Reid said of Gay. “We’ll just see.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank u!
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:12 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Coming out of the shadow of the previous 8 years? Are you serious?

Hindsight being what it is, yeah, but at the time? I was having the time of my life getting back in touch with my Chiefs fandom.
There was a long time of "won't waste money or time until AFTER they prove they're worth a damn in the playoffs".... and even then, I broke that rule in 2010 and even bought tickets to a few games in 2011.

So, while the Alex years stepped over the very low bars of "it could be worse, Herm isn't around/Palko isn't starting/900 days since the last parking lot suicide" it was still very much "prove something first"... and that never happened.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:13 PM 09-30-2021

Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub says no plans for WR Josh Gordon contributing on special teams. Says his role is likely the No. 2 or 3 receiver and needs to spend time learning offense. Remember, Gordon has only played five special teams snaps in his career.

— Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) September 30, 2021

[Reply]
Coochie liquor 03:48 PM 09-30-2021
Fuck off, he scored 14 TDs one year.
And a year with 0 TD’s to WR.
[Reply]
-King- 04:32 PM 09-30-2021
No cute practice pictures today?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:40 PM 09-30-2021

After practicing against him for 1 day, Tyrann Mathieu had an interesting comparison for WR Josh Gordon. "He kind of reminds me of Calvin Johnson, just the way he's built . . . From what I've seen, he's a helluva football player.''

— Adam Teicher (@adamteicher) September 30, 2021

[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 04:49 PM 09-30-2021
Let not blame pringle he did his job the motherfucker that should be blamed is robinson. He catches the ball and goes backward. Pringle doing his job.
[Reply]
-King- 04:51 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut:
Let not blame pringle he did his job the motherfucker that should be blamed is robinson. He catches the ball and goes backward. Pringle doing his job.
I think his job includes catching balls in his hands
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:57 PM 09-30-2021
Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut:
Man, I've learned not to stick my nose in the local collegiate trash talking that goes on around here because I'm just not passionate enough about it to care.

But this comment kinda reeks of KState homerism. No offense.
[Reply]
Page 53 of 86
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763 > Last »
Up