ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Netflix New Limited Series...When They See Us
Nzoner 11:17 AM 06-10-2019
Watched this over the weekend,don't recall the actual case so can't say how many liberties were taken but overall good story,acting etc.

[Reply]
KCUnited 11:36 AM 06-10-2019
Crazy, tragic story. My wife sobbed through a lot of it, so maybe plan to watch it during shark week or some other non-festive time as it's obviously a downer.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:58 AM 06-10-2019
Watched 2 eps... definitely gotta prepare for it but it's well done so far.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:29 PM 06-10-2019
Horrible story. I haven't watched this yet, but I remember when it happened and watched the PBS documentary not long ago. Everybody was against them, with some people remaining vocally so after their release. It's really sad.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:39 PM 06-10-2019
How many virtue signal points do you earn by sitting through this thing?
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 05:44 PM 06-10-2019
Hey, they received $41 million. Not a bad settlement.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 05:44 PM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
How many virtue signal points do you earn by sitting through this thing?
Enough to get free tofu at the local soy boy cafe.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:45 PM 06-10-2019
At the time,Trump called for the death penalty and used many hateful words against these guys. Wonder if he ever apologized?
[Reply]
listopencil 04:31 AM 06-11-2019
I'm still not convinced that they were innocent.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:29 AM 06-11-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
At the time,Trump called for the death penalty and used many hateful words against these guys. Wonder if he ever apologized?
What would that matter?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:35 AM 06-11-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
That's the thing, people are BOTH so polarized and so addicted to narratives, that an accurate picture will never emerge without a lot of carnage.

The authorities overstepped procedurally and thus the individuals were entitled to absolution and recompense for the failures of the state in the administration of justice. But in the course of that, absolution in fact, or factual innocence, was not established as the present-day hagiographers would have people believe.

It was a group of individuals acting lawlessly in concert that resulted in some heinous crimes. The state failed to do the hard work to explicitly establish who did what and overused the acting in concert aspect to convict them all. It was sound strategy at the time, when the heinousness of the criminal acts were the focus, but it left holes in the evidentiary record when the focus shifted to racial politics and convict rights.

I'm saddened by this overall, from almost every angle.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:04 PM 06-11-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Yep. Not guilty is not the same as innocent. Netflix et al can obscure the truth in favor of their agenda but it doesn't change a thing.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:04 PM 06-11-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
That's the thing, people are BOTH so polarized and so addicted to narratives, that an accurate picture will never emerge without a lot of carnage.

The authorities overstepped procedurally and thus the individuals were entitled to absolution and recompense for the failures of the state in the administration of justice. But in the course of that, absolution in fact, or factual innocence, was not established as the present-day hagiographers would have people believe.

It was a group of individuals acting lawlessly in concert that resulted in some heinous crimes. The state failed to do the hard work to explicitly establish who did what and overused the acting in concert aspect to convict them all. It was sound strategy at the time, when the heinousness of the criminal acts were the focus, but it left holes in the evidentiary record when the focus shifted to racial politics and convict rights.

I'm saddened by this overall, from almost every angle.
Well said.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:54 PM 06-11-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
He didn't
[Reply]
Ecto-I 11:34 AM 06-14-2019
Just finished it last night. Then went on a an informational tear to read more about the case.

Such a sad and tragic story. Hard to watch for sure. But also very well done. It's clear that there were racial motivations for their incarceration and that the DA was more interested in a conviction than finding the truth. It's unforgivable that given the evidence and that the rapist had a recent history AND was already incarcerated, that they couldn't connect the dots.

Some of the formerly accused have used their settlement money to support others in prison, potentially wrongly accused. I think that certainly supports how deeply their self-convictions of innocence indeed are.

Even if you're not "convinced" they are innocent, the only way they should've been convicted is "beyond a shadow of a doubt" - clearly not the case.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up