ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 54 of 57
« First < 4445051525354 555657 >
Media Center>Captain Marvel
Fish 08:23 AM 09-18-2018

[Reply]
JD10367 08:08 PM 04-20-2019
Saw it for the second time last week. Thought it was even better the second time. I don't understand why people are giving her such a hard time. If she wasn't such an outspoken SJW then I doubt anyone would have said anything about her acting performance. I mean, she's playing a Kree soldier (not exactly a role designed for laughs and smiles) *and* she doesn't have a memory of who she is. What did people want her to do, tapdance "Hello My Baby" like the WB frog? (And, yes, it was about girl power... big fucking deal. So was "Wonder Woman". So was the "Buffy" TV series. So was "Alien" and "Aliens". Women do make up half the population, they're entitled to a few moments of ass-kicking. Why this bothers guys I'll never know.)

And I don't see them using her as the final-act macguffin in "Endgame". That's just too simplistic. It might have something to do with Strange and the time stone, or the soul stone, or Ant-Man shrinking down to go steal stone(s), or an alternate universe, but I don't think they'd stoop to "Scene: Captain Marvel swoops in and kicks ass, end credits roll."
[Reply]
Shaid 08:32 PM 04-20-2019
She did come off bad in that interview.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:47 PM 04-20-2019
Originally Posted by JD10367:
Saw it for the second time last week. Thought it was even better the second time. I don't understand why people are giving her such a hard time. If she wasn't such an outspoken SJW then I doubt anyone would have said anything about her acting performance. I mean, she's playing a Kree soldier (not exactly a role designed for laughs and smiles) *and* she doesn't have a memory of who she is. What did people want her to do, tapdance "Hello My Baby" like the WB frog? (And, yes, it was about girl power... big fucking deal. So was "Wonder Woman". So was the "Buffy" TV series. So was "Alien" and "Aliens". Women do make up half the population, they're entitled to a few moments of ass-kicking. Why this bothers guys I'll never know.)

And I don't see them using her as the final-act macguffin in "Endgame". That's just too simplistic. It might have something to do with Strange and the time stone, or the soul stone, or Ant-Man shrinking down to go steal stone(s), or an alternate universe, but I don't think they'd stoop to "Scene: Captain Marvel swoops in and kicks ass, end credits roll."

This shit again? No one who is honestly reviewing the movie is really giving her a hard time. She just wasn't very good. She lacks the charisma for a superhero role, or at least she did in this performance. That's pretty bad when she's playing a Superman kind of role which is boring anyway. For a character that is so high powered there are only a few plot arcs that are compelling. They blew the origin story arc with a weak performance from the actress. That being said, it wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't as good as it could have been. In that way it was disappointing.

*Upon Edit: By the way those other shows you mentioned were interesting stories, told well, by compelling actors. This wasn't.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:58 PM 04-20-2019
Originally Posted by JD10367:

I was fairly harsh on her and believe me it wasn't for SJW shit. I really want the character to work because after 20 fucking movies I have a vested interest in the franchise.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:33 PM 04-21-2019
Finally saw this.

If Samuel L Jackson hadn't been in this it would have been garbage.

Character got too OP too fast and though it wasn't too bad, there were several nods to RAWR I AM WOMYN that just went too over the top.

Blowing the top off Schwarzenegger's head?
It's called a COCKpit, honey huhuhuhuhuh
We'll be back for the weapon. The Tesseract? No...the WOMYN.
Stealing a horny biker's ride?

Give me a fucking break.

Would have been better without all that feminazi pandering shit.

Wonder Woman did this better and so did Ellen Ripley.

They better not give the character a huge role in Endgame because she hasn't earned it. Oh yeah, and Brie can't act.

Still, enjoyable. 6.5/10. The work did they did with SLJ's face was incredible. Every scene with the cat was cream cheese. And they eye scar? :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:43 PM 04-21-2019
Take note, feminazis...this is how you do a GIRL POWER scene without it coming off hamfisted and over the top. You don't have to tear down a man in a scene just to make the woman look good.

[Reply]
vailpass 02:54 PM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Take note, feminazis...this is how you do a GIRL POWER scene without it coming off hamfisted and over the top. You don't have to tear down a man in a scene just to make the woman look good.

Yep. I never thought of Ripley as a bad ass woman. Just a bad ass.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:58 PM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Yep. I never thought of Ripley as a bad ass woman. Just a bad ass.
It's actually weakening the character and the movie when you pander the way some of these other films have.

It'd be like if they filled Black Panther full of shit about white men.

Thank god they didn't do that.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:00 PM 04-21-2019
One thing I LOVED was the Stan Lee cameo and Danvers' reaction to him.

Absolutely nailed it.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:39 PM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
One thing I LOVED was the Stan Lee cameo and Danvers' reaction to him.

Absolutely nailed it.
Yeah. I liked how the Marvel intro was all Stan, as well.
[Reply]
Sorry 06:53 PM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yeah. I liked how the Marvel intro was all Stan, as well.
I really hope they have a huge intro for Stan no matter how long.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:13 PM 04-21-2019
Originally Posted by Sorry:
I really hope they have a huge intro for Stan no matter how long.
I bet they will. And the idea I've heard for more long-term is to have him make "cameos" as art in the background and such. You have to think they'll try and work him in somehow.
[Reply]
Setsuna 11:41 AM 04-22-2019
Meh. She may have her priorities a little off kilter but now people are making tons of videos ridiculing her and it's becoming a bit silly. I find it childish tbh.
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:30 AM 07-27-2019
i enjoyed this quite a lot.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:49 AM 07-27-2019
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
i enjoyed this quite a lot.
It’s a really solid movie with a great subtext.

I hope Larson grows more into the role, though.
[Reply]
Page 54 of 57
« First < 4445051525354 555657 >
Up